Interesting concept from realestate.com.au

An interesting concept just upgraded on the realestate.com.au site http://localvoices.realestate.com.au/ . You can review streets, post a topic on your street, you can upload photos, invite friends to discuss, theres a forum, you can make recommendations of businesses in your local area etc...... worth a look. A mix of the original realestate.com.au site & a social network site. I think its good.

It is good... not new however.

Looks like re.com have purchased another pre-existing site and re-branded (same as they did with property.com)

The link has been posted on here before - a couple of months ago. The sites oringinal address/name was www.streetadvisor.com.au

Its a deal with a site called StreetAdvisor. Whether they bought them out or not is unclear, but either way someone's making money on this. I'm on their mailing list:

November 4, 2009 Send to a Friend
StreetAdvisor joins forces with realestate.com.au to bring you local voices!

We are very excited to announce that StreetAdvisor.com.au and Australia’s biggest real estate website, realestate.com.au, have partnered to launch a new community known as local voices.

Throughout Australia, StreetAdvisor will be rebranded as local voices becoming an integral part of the realestate.com.au website.

Whether you’re looking to buy or rent StreetAdvisor’s patented technology enables you to see how the locals rate the streets and suburbs that you are looking at, helping you find the perfect place to live.

So come in, get the inside word and share your views on your suburb by visiting realestate.com.au local voices - we want to hear your voice.

Its a deal with a site called StreetAdvisor. Whether they bought them out or not is unclear, but either way someone's making money on this. I'm on their mailing list:

Publicly listed company, so they'd have to declare it to the market if they acquired someone. Leads me to think it's a partnership. If StreetAdvisor is smart, they will wait until News Limited (or REA Group, whoever is actually in charge) starts to see the benefit of it all and comes up with the bright idea of paying them far too much money for their technology and sell, before they realise they can come up with their own alternative for a fraction of the price.

Cheers
Greg

Publicly listed company, so they'd have to declare it to the market if they acquired someone. Leads me to think it's a partnership. If StreetAdvisor is smart, they will wait until News Limited (or REA Group, whoever is actually in charge) starts to see the benefit of it all and comes up with the bright idea of paying them far too much money for their technology and sell, before they realise they can come up with their own alternative for a fraction of the price.

Cheers
Greg

I believe only if it's a material acquisition in relation to their business, not for example if they only paid $200k for it - unless they want to have some publicity around it. For example BHP doesn't announce every exploration permit they secure all over the place like the small micro miners do to try and create some awareness of their prospects. NWS doesn't announce every cable channel acquisition they make in other countries etc. The bigger the co. the less you'll hear about the small day to day deals (unless they want you to).

Back