Interesting Domain.com.au publication

Just read this in the car tonight on the way back from a trip! Also read through the ~150 comments feed (which I found way more insightful than the piece itself!)

I had to stop reading after about 30 comments. The anger could do my heart in. The article did my poor head in.

I thought we did have 10% unemployment in Australia back when we were younger.

Shhh. Don't tell anyone but the Sydney market may be overpriced.

I had recently heard that one Sydney council is now charging $80k/lot in development contributions for infrastructure (I haven't found the original article ). Maybe we need to review how the levies are charged ie should the construction of services be paid for by the council/developer/homeowners upfront and built into the cost of land (as per the current system) or should this cost be recouped over the working life of the assets (including construction, maintenance and replacement) in the form of higher rates (say quadruple or more)?

Where's Steve Keen when we need some level headed commentary?

Shhh. Don't tell anyone but the Sydney market may be overpriced.

I had recently heard that one Sydney council is now charging $80k/lot in development contributions for infrastructure (I haven't found the original article ). Maybe we need to review how the levies are charged ie should the construction of services be paid for by the council/developer/homeowners upfront and built into the cost of land (as per the current system) or should this cost be recouped over the working life of the assets (including construction, maintenance and replacement) in the form of higher rates (say quadruple or more)?

Where's Steve Keen when we need some level headed commentary?

Writing his next best selling piece of fiction in a rented shoe box somewhere in western Sydney would be my best guess

I thought we did have 10% unemployment in Australia back when we were younger.

Yes - up to over 12%. I remember very clearly.

Too extreme for me. I skimmed and scanned the first time round. I like a little pepper to season but this is too much. There's an argument to be made but this isn't it.

Australia isn't US. Or anywhere else.

I was watching a TV doc last week called Making Australia Great, far more uplifting :)

It made the Labor Party look good, but I didn't mind.

Back