Interesting Inspection Today !

The tenant had the one bed unit set up as a dungeon. At least two hundred hard core videos, posters all over the walls and even has his studded leather bondage set on display - I thought it was a strange looking dog harness at first (well I wasn't wrong was I?). Then I trod on the hand cuffs and whip and spurs!!!

Apparently a very good tenant according to the agent, always pays on time and been there for years. Obviously the agency hasn't inspected the property or they might have noticed the structural modifications that accommodate the other instruments of torture - a chain chair hanging from the rafters (I don't even want to think about it)and cut through the ceiling, not to mention something that looked like a rack bolted to the wall and floor.

And for those of you that are that way inclined, professionalism precludes me from handing out the address - so don't ask ;^)

Michael Croft

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Well, now I've heard everything. But as long as they pay on time, I wouldn't care if it was the Marquise De Sade living there (as long as there's no cigarette burns on the carpet).

Gail

Reply: 1.1

Hi Michael
That's amazing.
I wonder If we should launch into a competition for the most unusual items found whilst doing an inspection.
Naaaah...... You win already.
Simon

Reply: 2

Is the trick is to find a property that is unique in some way.....something that makes it stand out form the rest....something that screams value that others don't see.

Well, Michael has found it!

Simon

Reply: 3

Has the tenant offered payment in kind?

Reply: 3.1

Is there no privacy anymore, and how did you get in?

bydntsel

“Things are rarely what they seem to be”

Reply: 3.1.1

Good old agent gave me the keys, but it's OK I won't tell anyone.

Michael Croft

Reply: 3.1.1.1

Not the type of property you would like with carpet. To many stains I think.

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1

I wonder if they'll lose their Bond(age).

Julie

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1.1

If they do lose their Bond(age) it's probably cause they are Strapped into it.

Cheers
Robert

The Sydney "Freestylers" Group Leader.

Reply: 3.1.1.1.2

Mr Diggler,

Is this a professional opinion? (just wondering after reading TW's comment)

Michael G

Reply: 1.1.1

Wow, this is a great one...

I bet I could beat it though, Simon and Julie.. (no pun intended...)

Actually, I bet anyone with any tenure in residential real estate would have a few to tell... hehe

Maybe one day, over a vodka....

asy

"Don't forget what happened to the guy who suddenly got everything he ever wanted...
He lived happily ever after.
(Willy Wonka).

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Asy,

That's what the pub crawl is all about :)

Michael G

Reply: 3.1.1.1.2.1

My best one was a few years ago in Kings
Cross at a unit I was asked to look at with
a view to renovating. I hit the buzzer for
the inspection and heard "yeah?? oh Shit"

Went up to find a very embarrassed agent
trying to look like he wasn't there. I
negotiated the kitchen piled high with
beer bottles and made my way through to
the bedroom. The floor was covered in
used underwear. I looked out the window
at the panoramic view of a wall two feet
away. I realised I was stepping on
something and looked down to find it was
a wad of $100 bills - maybe $2-3K worth
and leaning against the wardrobe was a
shotgun!

Anyone want to raise me??

Donna L

Reply: 3.1.1.1.2.1.1

A workmate owns a 1br in Newtown. He get agents to lease the place for him and then continues the management himself. The last tenants seemed OK (picked and checked out by the agent) but when the rent stopped coming in a few weeks later the appropriate measures were taken and eventually he had to break in as the locks had all been changed. What was found looked like the inside of one of the houses on ACA. There was large amount of drug paraphernalia, a mattress on the floor and rubbish everywhere. The tenant had been making speed so there was all the gear for that, needles and bongs everywhere. A real mess.

So much for the agents checking out the tenant!!!! He selects his own tenants now and hasn't had a problem since.

Owen

"Gambling promises the poor what property performs for the rich – something for nothing"

Reply: 4.1

A few years back as a property manager I did a routine inspection on a unit; knocked on the door several times, let myself in yelling 'hello'. From behind a door out jumped a genuine redhead saying 'surprise!' - she was the one surprised on seeing me as she was naked.

It was the girl friend who had let herself in and was waiting for her partner to return home for 'lunch'.

Much embarrassment all round but made my day.

Michael Croft

Reply: 3.1.1.1.2.1.2

OK Donna,
I'll give it a try...

I rang some tenants to let them know that their landlord had requested an appraisal of their property. They replied in abject horror that they had a new baby, and could I please call back in 3 months. I told them that I had done a drive-by earlier that day, and that you could smell the dope growing from the street. I told her that I was going to come straight over, and we would discuss their "little problem" and that I would go no further than the lounge room unless invited. (At least this got me in to the property)

OK, now, so here I am, in the house, which STINKS of dope... and I have two terrified tenants who are not coping with the idea that the vendor is about to put the property onto the market.

So, this is what happened. I took out my little box of "Fear of god" and sprinkled it around. After about 10 minutes discussion we negotiated a solution. The vendor would give them 2 months to be ready, and in exchange for not having the property entered again for 2 months they would clean and landscape the yard, and repaint the entire property at their cost.

This bought them time, it got my vendor about an extra 10k, and they were so terrified about being caught again, they have sworn off making "Easy money", and he went and got a job.

Good result all round.

Better not tell you who I am, though...

asy-nonymous.

"He's not dead, He's electroencephalographically challenged."

Reply: 4.2

Book?

How about....

"Ban Summers 'Horror by Horror'"

hehe

Michael G

Reply: 4.2.1

I inspected a property just by chance, whilst on holidays, that I have had control over for several years, my property manager came with me, two side by side bedrooms, now had a full on proper window in the wall between them, when I asked "whats with the window?", they all shrugged , dunno, tenant says it was here when he got here, property manager says, "isnt it supposed to be there?"...umm...no...

Cheers, TW
~Before you criticize people, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away. And you have their shoes~

Back