Interesting reason for dishwasher and air-con to stop working?

I'm keen to know whether many people have had this situation...

A great tenant who has been there probably five years told me today the dishwasher doesn't work and has some stale water in the bottom. She hasn't used the dishwasher (except to run it once in a while) and won't use it, so our options are to remove it, drain the water and leave it where it is or get it fixed. I won't be getting it fixed because that is pointless for this tenant.

She also doesn't use the air-con (split system). It also doesn't work and we also won't get it fixed while she is there. She doesn't want it fixed.

This house will be lifted and moved on the block if we get approval for the townhouses behind it, so I'm not particularly concerned with either of these issues, because likely we will update the kitchen at that time. We also would have to get an air-conditioning disconnected and reconnected, degas and regas in the new position, and at that time we will choose repair or replace.

However, whilst we write into our leases that should an air-con service be required that turns out to have been caused by lack of cleaning of the filters, the tenant will pay for the repair, I've never thought about insisting that it is actually used.

This tenant is fantastic, keeps the place beautifully, and she says whilst she doesn't use air-con or dishwasher, she runs them occasionally to keep them working. Dishwasher has apparently just stopped working.

Has anybody else had a "green" tenant who won't use air-con or dishwasher and had this happen?

I'm not having a whine as this is small beer, and we are making big changes to this house when the tenants leave, but I'd be mightily peeved if we had to pay for replacement or repair of both appliances due to lack of use if we were looking for a new tenant (instead of lift/renovate).

I don't understand. If you're so worried about it, then just service them as you would normally.

Did you read my post? I'm not worried about it. I'm curious to know if anybody else has green tenants who don't use these appliances, and if anybody else has had to repair/replace due to NON-use?

I explained the tenant doesn't use them, will not use them even if I repair them, which she doesn't want.

I cannot believe you could think I'm "worried" about it or suggest I "service them as I would normally"... you cannot have read the post? :confused:

The air conditioner has probably run out of gas from dry seals.....it should be run regularly to move the gas and oil around the system - at least once a month for 5 minutes or so.
Not too hard a job for a greenie to handle.
The dishwasher is another problem....hopefully it is just clogged with dry leftover gunk or detergent.

If the appliance is available in the rental then it should be in working order....unless there is some sort of an agreement between the landlord and tenant about the particular appliance.

Get them serviced and working then drain and disconnect the dishwasher.
The air conditioner can be run for 5 minutes per month by the tenant.

One of our tenants was not using the air conditioner and I told her that she is responsible for cleaning & using it while she is renting.....she was not aware that it needed to be used to keep it working.

I did have a surprise permaculture garden in the front yard of a rental in Perth....especially as she had dug a deep pool near the house foundations!
Needless to say the lease was not renewed and she lost the bond.....cost of restoring the front yard back to normal.

My 2c.......hope this helps.
Good luck.

The air conditioner has probably run out of gas from dry seals.....it should be run regularly to move the gas and oil around the system - at least once a month for 5 minutes or so.
Not too hard a job for a greenie to handle.
The dishwasher is another problem....hopefully it is just clogged with dry leftover gunk or detergent.

If the appliance is available in the rental then it should be in working order....unless there is some sort of an agreement between the landlord and tenant about the particular appliance.

Get them serviced and working then drain and disconnect the dishwasher.
The air conditioner can be run for 5 minutes per month by the tenant.

My 2c.......hope this helps.
Good luck.

Thanks robboat. She says she runs them monthly to keep them ticking over. That may or may not be true. I don't really care as we will be lifting the house and changing it all.

I won't spend anything on any repairs, and this tenant has insisted she will not use them, doesn't want them repaired or replaced, and that is good enough for me. (I know and trust her, and I also have this in an email, but I'm not expecting a sudden desire to use either appliance after not using them for more than five years.)

I'm just curious because this is not something I've ever come across before.

I had to replace the aircon compressor in my car, for non-use,
seals go hard if not lubricated,
and the lube is mixed in the gas,
Its the same gas mix in home aircon
:edit: I might as well copied and pasted Robboat :/edit:
I believe it is possible to question, the existence or extent, of an occurrence
without being concerned for the occurrence as a problem​

I'm pretty dumb and I understand Wylie's question.

Yes, I have tenants who say they don't use the dishwasher and air con. Whenever we go there to do something, we always remind them to run the appliances occasionally. I haven't yet had your problem, though.

First thing I would be checking is the meter box.
Lets say a little animal has decided the base of the dishwasher would make a nice home. It then trips the safety switch outside. Critter may have killed the appliance, we once had mice eat the wiring in the washing machine in an outdoor laundry, or the switch just needs to be reset. Animal wee will kill any appliance.

I currently have an issue in Gladstone (I cant check it myself) with an air conditioner that the tenant cant decide whether it works or not and whether she uses it or not. Whenever ours here stop, we check the meter or change the battery in the remote. That usually fixes everything. The insides have to be cleaned out occasionally (as you would know) and a bit of bleach in the drainpipe gets it started again. If your lady doesn't use her air con, then it shouldn't have muck sitting in the condensation drain. If the gas hasn't leaked out, then maybe a spider or gecko has taken up residency inside?

Back