interior paint colours for 1930's gem

okay - i've piked out.

ceiling and walls down to high picture rail (2.2m high) in ceiling white.

timberwork in gloss white

walls in double tint whisper white.

i think the defining moment was when i started unpacking my artworks (lots of it - and most big) and realised that if i went anything "but" subtle offwhite then numerous clashes were inevitable - regardless of what toning i went with.

You are your decorations, I say :)

My art is mostly in shades of reds and cinnamons, all my furniture is red and brown, and my ornaments tend to be the chunky African/Indian variety. Probably explains why my old house was so heavy on the oranges and reds (and the Den O'Pink). Photos are in the sig now btw, although I could use a sunnier day to re-take the outside shot. First it doesn't rain for a year, then it doesn't STOP raining. Stoopid weather.

colour consultant

Love the house!!!
Have you tried the dulex colour consultants, where you get a $200 vouchor to spend on the paints if you use the consultant.(which cost$200).
My aunty used them, very good result.

I think this looks great

Its the before and after pics from the Macdonalds house from ep 2 of HomeMade.
Its actually my cousins house. It looks really good in the pics and on tele but looks tens times better in real life.
The black walls give it a huge wow factor.

http://channelnine.ninemsn.com.au/s...ubsectionid=153487&subsectionname=mcdonald#19

Believe it or not the producers actually came into the house a week before and roughed up the house and removed all the nice rugs/throws/pictures and some furniture just to make it look daggy.

here's the list of materials
MASTER BEDROOM – MATT
Item Supplier Colour/Specifics
Artwork Mr Brassman Moroccan Silver Tray
Bed Dare Gallery CoCo Black Velvet
Chest Orient House Slatted Cabinet
Cushions Kas Australia Assorted
Floor Lamp Beacon Lighting Black
Mattress Sealy King
Mirror Dare Gallery Recycled Elm Mirror 90 x 90 cm
Ottoman Dare Gallery Jasper in Grey
Paint Feature Wattyl Night Sky
Paint Feature Wattyl Castle Grey
Paint on Other Walls Wattyl Fluffy
Quilt Kas Australia Ghost White
Rocking Chair Ikea Lillberg
Rug DecoRug Martini Frost
Side table Pendants Beacon Lighting Chrome Teardrop Pendant
Side Tables Dare Gallery Republic

i loved it from the first - hubby hates it. some things in life are not worth arguing over. although they don't seem to have much cupboard space or drawers.

that's one thing i notice about the show - the home owner might have shelves and shelves of books (like me) that are not catered for or particular favourite artworks etc.

i think the double tint whispher will be okay as it's a very subtle warm grey - and my "trinkets" are a combination of red, blue, purple, green etc ...

well, spent the last two days painting decorative ceilings - all brush job trying to "swizzle" the paint into the pears, grapes and apples.

only 3 more rooms to go!!:eek:

p.s how does one get their house on that show (that i love to watch via internet)

i think the double tint whispher will be okay as it's a very subtle warm grey - and my "trinkets" are a combination of red, blue, purple, green etc ...

yuck! double tint came out a very insipid blue! instead of a warm grey i've decided to go with a cool tone brown ... hence painted now in beige royal and looks fantastic against the white.

ahhhh - happy now

photos

okay - they are of two different rooms, but they do show the before and after colour. very hard to photograph due to light coming in the windows (and trying to keep the pile to displaced items out of the photo).

p.s. the before are the yellow walls - just in case some one really like them :eek:

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 117
Grey and white is nice. That is just a few shades lighter than our old bedroom, which is a very grey taupe.

Reds and burgundies will look sweet with that :)

i know it looks grey - was very hard to photograph - but the colour is actually a "cool" tone brown. it looks grey in some lights and cool brown in others. goes with absolutely everything but still looks modern - which was the idea since we plan to sell in around 3 years. looks fantastic with the banks of stained glass windows as focus' the attention on the windows.

p.s. bedlinen is also white but vibrant colours are all around the rooms in the form of antique glassware and throwrugs

Back