Internal structural water damage to my IP

Hi Guys,

Just after some quick guidance here. Not sure who is financially liable, the body corporate, the tenant or the agent that failed to report the damage.

Basically the property sits at the end of a complex next to a embankment.

There is water damage to walls and a staircase inside the lounge room and i highly suspect heavy rains and/or poor drainage maintenance to the exterior of the property is the cause.

I have contents/building insurance to 60k but not sure which is the best way to go.

Should i contact the body corp, my contents/building insurance company or engage a private building inspector to determine if the issue either internal and external or just internal?

Is the agent liable ? My agreement with the agent requires quarterly inspections to which i have not seen any reports. They have also not provided me with an entry and exit condition report. (note: the tenant recently has left)

Other agency issue is:
I was only advised yesterday by the agency the tenant has left and they have paid rent until next week. From my understanding agents are responsible to provide the landlord more notice ? What is the law on this?

Note property is in QLD.

Cheers

Tone

Strata issue first. The site and exterior of the building are the issue. The strata buildings policy is step one. Get strata manager onsite asap and meet. I suspect the strata are about to spend $$ on drainage etc to address the problem. Your loss may be part of their policy. Your contents insurance may ALSO be involved. Your insurer would determine whether to pass the cost onto the other insurer. They have their own rules. The insurer will likely fund a inspection and report on what is the issue and what is required to fix it. I wouldn't spend any $$ until insurance approval. TAKE dated VIDEO and keep records.

You say "structural"...That's major ?? This is a strata issue if its is structural.

The PM may have contributed to a higher resulting loss through issues of poor contract performance / negligence (?) BUT they didn't cause the water damage.

The PM may have been given greater WRITTEN notice...Did they share this with you ?? The bond retention will obviously now be involved if not. Remember the REA is your agent. If tenant communicates to them that's sufficient.

Your communication with the PM needs to be better. I would organise a face to face with the licensee and put them on notice. Confirm it in writing after meeting.

Thanks Paul.

I met with the PM onsite the day after being notified of the damage and took photos.

They were not helpful at all. I struggled to get assistance from them.

Should i contact the body corporate directly perhaps?

PMs don't get paid to fix your problems. They get paid to collect rent. They wouldn't care if the council wants to widen the road either. Your beef is with the Body Corp / Strata.

Back