Internal toilet wall - load bearing?

Hi all

I've got an 1970's (approx) 1st floor apartment made of brick. I'm looking to renovate the bathroom and hopefully remove the internal toilet wall - which I'm pretty sure is also brick.

I've read a few threads that state you need BC approval (which I don't think will be a problem (hopefully ;)) as I'm on the BC and I've talked to them about this already) and talk to a structural engineer. I've got building plans from the council.

Whilst I'm happy to talk to a SE, because the walls are small & only enclose the toilet, what are your thoughts on it being structural?

Does anyone have any contacts for a SE that are reasonably priced? Do you have an idea how much this would cost? Can a builder be used for this purpose instead of a SE?

Thanks in advance

You will need BC consent to lodge the DA as this is structural building work regardless of whether it is or isn't load bearing.

A builder will do the work under the direction of a SE - no builder would touch it without having an engineering design.

In most cases units were built on the cheap ie cheapest way which meant flat plate slabs no beams or fancy edge thickening, prestressing etc so all walls become structural.

Hi all

I've got an 1970's (approx) 1st floor apartment made of brick. I'm looking to renovate the bathroom and hopefully remove the internal toilet wall - which I'm pretty sure is also brick.

I've read a few threads that state you need BC approval (which I don't think will be a problem (hopefully ;)) as I'm on the BC and I've talked to them about this already) and talk to a structural engineer. I've got building plans from the council.

Whilst I'm happy to talk to a SE, because the walls are small & only enclose the toilet, what are your thoughts on it being structural?

Does anyone have any contacts for a SE that are reasonably priced? Do you have an idea how much this would cost? Can a builder be used for this purpose instead of a SE?

Thanks in advance

Even if you are on the BC - it would makes things worst being you would have to do the right thing by getting all the docs and reports otherwise you could be held accountable if something goes wrong.

you would have to apply to council to get the engineering plans and not only building plans - from there you would have to get a structural engineer to inspect the plans and make a site visit to ensure that they are non-structural. From then, get the letter/report from the structural engineer. Cost maybe around AUD700.

You need to do this otherwise you could invalidate your building insurnace for the entire building if something actually was wrong. if the walls are timber studs and only go up to the ceiling, it is unlikely to be structural but if they're brick all the way on to the slab of the other floor or to the roof then it is likely to be structural. A builder should be able to ascertain that but it is better for a SE to certify it mainly to cover yourself.

Thanks Melbournian....was hoping this was going to be an easy thing to sort out...I'm going to have a rethink on the design.

Thanks also to Scott No Mates and Shovelhead for responding.

Back