International Chinese investor bought his 150th property today.

Just a cheapie at $712k. His 150th property in the suburb of Doncaster east alone. Who knows what he owns in other suburbs. Scary...

Why scary? :confused:

As I have become older, I have started thinking more globally. To me it isn't "us" and "them". When I see a human being that has become successful enough to buy 150 properties, my first thought is "Well done!" My first thought is never "What is his nationality?".

It is not easy to achieve what he has done - good on him.

We all share this planet for just a few short years. Some of us will rent all our lives, some of us will buy only 1 home, some will buy a few more and some like this gentleman will buy a lot. We are all free to choose our course in this life.

If we (or our children) want to buy 150 homes, then go do it. Become the person you need to be to achieve that goal. To me it is small minded to think that we (or our children) will be 'priced out' of the market because someone else has a lot of property. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Apparently changes to the foreign ownership rules by the Foreign Review Board (FIRB) has resulting in greater activity by Chinese Property Investors. Chinese banks also lowered interest rates and China saw a lot of real estate activity during 2009

I read that real estate prices rose sharply in 2009 and almost doubled in cities like Shenzhen?

Topcropper can probably attest to the below also

China Investment in Australian Farms Rises 10-Fold, Agents Say

April 15 (Bloomberg) -- Chinese investment in Australian farms increased 10-fold in the past six months, real estate agents said, as Australia relaxed rules governing residential property purchasing and buyers see opportunities in agriculture.

Hi, Chinese buyers may not all be newcomers to the country either.

Yesterday at an auction, I overheard a couple tell another couple that they're from Shenyang. They've been in Australia 19 years. I nearly asked why he's only now buying but I bit it back.

The opening bid of 300K was laughed down & the next bid was 400K.

It sold @ 520K, one hundred and fifty more than what consider a good price.

Me too, I'm also being priced out!

KY

I think Aussies need a wake up call:

- 25% of every property loan is foreign money.
- 25% of loan interest goes to foreigners.
- we sell mining rights to foreign interests
- we sell mines to foreign interests
- we sell manufacturing to foreign interests.
- we sell our commercial property to foreign interests.
- the govt sells our road and water infrastructure to foreign interests.
- We outsource production of the goods we consume to cheap foreign labor.
- To counter this, our best effort is to unsubtly rip off foreign students by dangling citizenship before them, as long as they pay exorbitant fees to some BS college.

Those who argue a perpetual current account deficit and growing negative net international position on the Balance of Payments, are wrong. I don't buy for a second Australia needs foreign capital to develop our mining sector. If we kept more mining profits in Australia, we'd be wealthy enough to retain ownership, and fund a reasonable defence force.

The same foggy thinking that allows the above, has allowed the FIRB changes. We have a govt that wants to fund itself with ever higher foreign sourced capital. It is impoverishing Australia slowly but surely. But this won't be my problem, it will be the younger generations'. If they can't see it coming, for want of more xboxes, parties, OS hols, and a preference for a welfare state, then let it be.

Yes you know why those Chinese said it was cheap, cause land is scarce back home, people live in apartments.

Our equivalent two bedroom units here would be considered standard living for them and would probably cost 700+ to them. So when them come here and see 700k for a house bargain big time. If we wanted a house in China or HK in a good location try 10 million Aussie and that like luxury free standing 3 bedroom townhouse, for that money you can buy in Mosman 5 bedroom spectacular view etc.

This also goes for luxury car, why do you see overseas students drive BMW and daddy buy them a Merc once they get there license. Sure this cars are like 80k here in Aust back home eg. Singapore 200k equivalent, Wow bargain again.

Or if you go Bali and or Thailand and decided to buy a holiday house there e.g 100k compared to 320k here wouldn't you say that's a bargain as well if your in another country? And snapping up all there properly cause its cheap to retire on or create a mini resort business.

Yes you know why those Chinese said it was cheap, cause land is scarce back home, people live in apartments.

Our equivalent two bedroom units here would be considered standard living for them and would probably cost 700+ to them. So when them come here and see 700k for a house bargain big time. If we wanted a house in China or HK in a good location try 10 million Aussie and that like luxury free standing 3 bedroom townhouse, for that money you can buy in Mosman 5 bedroom spectacular view etc.

This also goes for luxury car, why do you see overseas students drive BMW and daddy buy them a Merc once they get there license. Sure this cars are like 80k here in Aust back home eg. Singapore 200k equivalent, Wow bargain again.

Or if you go Bali and or Thailand and decided to buy a holiday house there e.g 100k compared to 320k here wouldn't you say that's a bargain as well if your in another country? And snapping up all there properly cause its cheap to retire on or create a mini resort business.

Don't foreigners in Bali/Indonesia have to have a contract with an Indonesian National as a nameholder (title holder) when purchasing property, or can you purchase in your own name or via another structure?

Don't foreigners in Bali/Indonesia have to have a contract with an Indonesian National as a nameholder (title holder) when purchasing property, or can you purchase in your own name or via another structure?

Don't know buts its just and example that I have heard of. Either it be Philippines beaches or Thailand Indonesia. I have no intention of buying over there. Thats why Asia is a good place to holiday cause its cheap. Some may perceive it as value for money. I know I do.

Hi all,

The analogy of aussies wanting to buy property in Bali (Indonesia), Thailand or other similar countries is a good point to add. To me, i don't like this policy that allows basically unlimited foreign investment in Australian property and i think, that in the future, it will bring more problems for Australia.

Many counties don't allow the same policy for Australians to buy unlimited properties in their own jurisdictions. its even hard enough for an australian to buy one property in some (most) asian countries.

I'm lucky as i have an apartment in Taipei that we own outright. That is so, as i am married to a Taiwanese who still holds her Taiwanese natioanlity - and therefore, i have family residency certificate which allows my name on title deeds. But if i didn't have that connection, then i wouldn't be allowed to buy properties in Taiwan at all (unless i buy them through a company whihc is predominately owned by a Taiwanese person). So it is next to impossible for a lone foreigner to buy property there and i believe it is basically the same for China too.

So many Chinese (and other Asian nationalities) must be laughing at the poor silly aussies who are flogging their country to the highest bidder. Lord help us in the future.

g

So many Chinese (and other Asian nationalities) must be laughing at the poor silly aussies who are flogging their country to the highest bidder. Lord help us in the future.

Heard the same commentary in the 1980's when the Japanese were apparently buying all of Queensland (Gold Coast), the world was coming to an end and we would become a colony of the land of the rising sun.

Heard the same commentary in the 1980's when the Japanese were apparently buying all of Queensland (Gold Coast), the world was coming to an end and we would become a colony of the land of the rising sun.

How were the japanese buying properties back in the 80s? Was it commercial properties only then?

I'm just a little confused considering that this policy allowing foreign investors (mainly Chinese) to buy basically unlimited residential properties only recently came into place - so how were the japanese nearly able to "buy all of Qld" then?

If it is as simple as they were only able to buy commerical then but now are able to buy residential, then I see the problem as moving to another, and possibly worsening, level.

Thanks

g

Back