internet cafes anyone run one?

We are currently considering investing in an internet cafes does anyone run a internet cafe or kiosk?

Thinking that coin operated would work best for semi passive.

What are the pro's and cons of running a internet cafe?

cons - loads of competition - in newcastle entire cafe streets are being converted to free wireless for those with laptops. increasing (and slowly cheaper) access to internet via mobile phones. public libraries already have free internet access.

the only internet "cafes" i've seen work are the ones in the shopping centres where there actually isn't a cafe, they are just set up as booths in the wide walkways - they're run on a vending machine principal with no one actually there to operate it.

have seen a lot of closed down or empty internet cafes. i think a laundromat would be a better option - or one of those gaming centres where you can hold parties for loads of nerdy young folk.

cons - loads of competition - in newcastle entire cafe streets are being converted to free wireless for those with laptops. increasing (and slowly cheaper) access to internet via mobile phones. public libraries already have free internet access.

the only internet "cafes" i've seen work are the ones in the shopping centres where there actually isn't a cafe, they are just set up as booths in the wide walkways - they're run on a vending machine principal with no one actually there to operate it.

have seen a lot of closed down or empty internet cafes. i think a laundromat would be a better option - or one of those gaming centres where you can hold parties for loads of nerdy young folk.

Hi, lizzie thanks for your feedback
Yeah I meant like the booth option as described above
having an IT backround a laundromat just isn't our cup of tea.

Have a site in mind that should do ok as there is not much competition here and the library charges here now aswell never used to.

Gaming centre sounds like a good idea thanks for that.

I'd love to run a gaming venue but not a net cafe, most people on the run do as Lizzie says. We use our phone internet quite a bit and have wireless with the happy friendly people at Telstra to lurk on while we're visiting distant relatives.

And as to gaming venues, one would do well *here* as there is diddly squat for young folk to do and not many people have computers - but I don't think it would work well in a more ... uh ... tehnologically literate area. Here you'd have to roll it in with other 'youth' stuff to get past lack of numbers though. Like a clothing shop and a lounge. I'd absolutely love to buy the church that is for sale and put that in there, but money prohibits.

Why not just buy some coke and chip vending machines?

I have an IT background, and I don't see future on internet cafes. why?

- free wireless hotspot will soon be appearing. there are areas that already have it
- laptop prices. small ones that are normally used for wireless internet. very easy to carry, specially the small ones.
- internet USB keys. I always carry it with me and have access anywhere.
- Mobile phones. I see everyone using facebook/browsing the web on their mobile.

but I guess all above depends on the area. I'd go for a printing/scanning/faxing kiosk.

if your research looks good and the numbers stack up, go for it.

good luck :)

I'd reckon an internet cafe would have been a business to get into 10 years ago but a declining business now.

For example, the place I go to for holidays on the Gold Coast? There used to be about 3 internet cafes 10 years ago always full. I'd go and check things out for an hour a day but sometimes couldn't get a go.

Then the local supermarket put in some coin operated booths. Then there was only one net cafe left.

Now lots of people have a laptop and get the internet and there are no net cafes and hasn't been for a few years but there are still the coin operated booths in the supermarket.

My wife now has a laptop, so I won't put another cent in a booth or net cafe. My eldest daughter has a laptop and soon all my kids will have laptops. Soon everyone will have one.

See ya's.

I have an IT background, and I don't see future on internet cafes. why?

- free wireless hotspot will soon be appearing. there are areas that already have it
- laptop prices. small ones that are normally used for wireless internet. very easy to carry, specially the small ones.
- internet USB keys. I always carry it with me and have access anywhere.
- Mobile phones. I see everyone using facebook/browsing the web on their mobile.

but I guess all above depends on the area. I'd go for a printing/scanning/faxing kiosk.

if your research looks good and the numbers stack up, go for it.

good luck :)

I have a IT background as well as a current role in the telco/isp sector.

I agree with all the comments of the poster above. The only point I would make is in tourist locations there is still a very good market if your costs are kept under control.

I have a IT background as well as a current role in the telco/isp sector.

I agree with all the comments of the poster above. The only point I would make is in tourist locations there is still a very good market if your costs are kept under control.

Looking in a quite well known tourist area, the site we are considering has tourist constanlty and is near quite a large resort etc.

Their is no kiosks of course connections for your laptop in rooms though.

Looking in a quite well known tourist area, the site we are considering has tourist constanlty and is near quite a large resort etc.

Their is no kiosks of course connections for your laptop in rooms though.

what type of tourism ? high end or back packers ? Like you say many will have the option from their hotel room but most of those rates are extremely high.

I see internet cafes all over the world filled with back packers sending photos emails and videos etc

what type of tourism ? high end or back packers ? Like you say many will have the option from their hotel room but most of those rates are extremely high.

I see internet cafes all over the world filled with back packers sending photos emails and videos etc

lots of backpackers mainly fraser island tourists etc:cool:

I think internet cafe's only have one place in today's soceity in australia. And that is in high tourist areas.

reason being is when I go somewhere I don't take my laptop, so if i want net access I pay.

Actually that's only half true, In Australia I go "get stuffed, I'm not paying $5 for 15 minutes" over in the USA it was like $2 an hour.

So you may have issues with people paying the money even in the tourist areas. Depends how much they want to upload their photos/send email.

Personally I think that while young people are happy using internet on phones, older people are not. I know I can't stand it - only use it here and there to show some a you tube clip or something that was funny, no way I would use it for general interent.

if you had uber high download speed and a massive LAN setup and targeted it at the gaming world, then yes, i think you would do well.

otherwise....

i think the problem with a gaming cafe is you'd have to always be updating the hardware so it can play well. That said I spent a bit of time at a gaming cafe when I was younger ...

Having a netcafe next to a backpackers is probably the best place. A lot of backpackers either don't have laptops period or choose not to travel with them. You could also tailor it to them a bit, make it a social place they can hang out with some cheap couches and coffee/softdrink vending machines, put some computers in booths with doors so they can make skype calls in privacy, have a service to burn their camera memory cards to cd or dvd, etc etc

Back