Internet Connection Help Pls

I'm at my daughters place. Her father in law has the cable internet connection and my daughters PC feeds off that with a network connection. I can also use my laptop while I'm here which I'm currently doing.

Everything has been working fine until the last week. Everything looks fine and works fine except my daughters PC just won't connect to the internet.

All signs in the system tray say she's connected and what the speed is.
I've made sure the firewall has accepted her IP address.
I've repaired any network connection I can (although nothing was broken).
I've also restored to an earlier date.
Checked all plugs are plugged in.
Turned everything off and back on again.

You click on the IE shortcut and it fires up but just won't connect.
Neither will Skype i.e. nothing internet related.

Any suggestions?

Ta
Olly

Hi

Can the daughters computer ping the father in laws computer. From a DOS screen type ping <IP of Father in laws computer> hit enter. You should see a response. If that works try ping 72.14.253.103 if that works try www.google.com. Let me know how that goes. Not sure of you technical skills so shout out if you are not sure of the above, as I am happy to help further.

Ian

Router firewall settings go wrong often, especially if altered by a wirelessly attached pc,
one bit of lost data and
11001111 is received as
11001110 a valid binary so error correction does not kick in.
you can find detailed setup instructions in the manual if they are one of the few lucky people who have the manual, many installers take them away for their tech library. or online with one of the pcs that can access
set up via a cable connected computer if possible,
or even pull the plug, hit the reset button, usually recessed underneath and start again

Process of elimination sounded like IE was the problem even though it seemed to be performing.

I loaded Firefox on and it connected straight away to the internet with no problems and Skype and MSN Messenger are also OK now as well.

IE still won't connect and says it's running without addons. Haven't looked into what they are or how to add them as yet, but the problem certainly looks like it was IE and was in some way effecting anything connecting.

Will now try to add add ons or uninstall, upgrade or re-install IE to fix it.

Keeping in mind I can't use IE itself to upgrade, add add ons etc. help would be appreciated in downloading these things using Firefox to put into IE.

Ta
Olly

Problem No 2

Gave the daughter PC speakers for Christmas but the sound continues to play through the 'box'. Have fiddled with the settings but no go. Have tried to manually 'find hardware' but Logitech speakers aren't listed for me to choose from. Help please.

Ta
Olly

I don't think speakers will be detected by the harware.

Stupid question: do the speakers have an amplifier and need to be powered?

Cheers,

Bazza

I don't think speakers will be detected by the harware.

Stupid question: do the speakers have an amplifier and need to be powered?

Cheers,

Bazza

The speakers consists of 2 speakers one of which has control buttons on.

Then there is a cord between speakers connecting speaker to speaker, a power cord and a green prong cord to plug into the speaker green hole in the back of the PC.

That's it! Too simple. Didn't expect problems. Thought they'd just plug in and take over, but no - sound is still playing through the box - nothing coming out of the speakers. :(

I've been through all the sound settings and tried to make it detect new hardware (which it didn't) then I tried to manually choose from a list etc.

Olly

there is NO hardware to detect, the OS can only detect the speaker socket, not whether it is connected, it is an analog channel not a readable port (usb firewire).
laptop settings are very specific to the laptop, the item below may be totally wrong, but of you hunt thru control panel.....
there is normally a button/dropdown in the control panel - multimedia tab that allows you to change the preferred device for output and input. between internal speaker, external speaker, wave modem, line out,​
good luck... probably gonna need it

if the helpscreens were installed try to find 'external speakers' in the helpscreens index

there is NO hardware to detect, the OS can only detect the speaker socket, not whether it is connected, it is an analog channel not a readable port (usb firewire).
laptop settings are very specific to the laptop, the item below may be totally wrong, but of you hunt thru control panel.....
there is normally a button/dropdown in the control panel - multimedia tab that allows you to change the preferred device for output and input. between internal speaker, external speaker, wave modem, line out,​
good luck... probably gonna need it

if the helpscreens were installed try to find 'external speakers' in the helpscreens index

It's not a laptop the speakers are plugged into - it's my daughters desktop.

Try turning the volume up and touch the speaker input plugs with your fingers - do you hear a buz? If so the speakers and amp are OK and it is your sound card/PC that is causing the problem.

Cheers,

Bazza

Re the Internet issue - if Firefox connects OK but IE does not, the problem is definitely IE settings or an IE issue. Check:
- Proxy setting in IE - is it set correctly or are all boxes cleared if you have no proxy? (Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings)
- Are parental controls or Content Advisor turned on? Turn them off temporarily to see if this fixes it. (Internet Options -> Content)

If no good, under Internet Options -> Advanced, reset the IE settings to the default, and try again.

If still no good, I would suggest to uninstall IE, then use Firefox to download IE 7 and reinstall. Or, if you like, continue to use Firefox :)

Hope it helps.
- Dave99

Back