Interstate property maintenance rip off

I have found it difficult to look after interstate property maintenance and repairs. From a investor perspective, I want to keep my tenants happy with on-time and good maintenance but also keep the maintenance cost reasonable.

Can I ask what are your experience to avoid maintenance rip off when you are unable to to get the quotes by yourself and inspect the property?

How you determine what should be maintained or just rely on the PM reports?
Do you ask PM get 3 quotes from reliable tradies for you?
How often do you inspect interstate property by yourself? how do you make it?

A good PM is the key. One that really wants you happy. Ask them how many quotes. They may have one or two tradies who do a great job, fast and good price so wasting their time on a third not even needed. They don't want twenty repair guys on their book.

I had a PM in Vic who was brilliant. I recd a call one morning that shower base had a hole. Pic indicated a major problem !! By 10am he had it quoted at $800. I had a friend (lic handyman too) who I sent pic who found a fibreglass second unit and matching tiles and he arrived that arvo with all materials and it was fixed by 4pm. $300.

Most PMs have a $ limit for approvals. If not make sure its clear what your authority for them is.

I have found it difficult to look after interstate property maintenance and repairs. From a investor perspective, I want to keep my tenants happy with on-time and good maintenance but also keep the maintenance cost reasonable.

Can I ask what are your experience to avoid maintenance rip off when you are unable to to get the quotes by yourself and inspect the property?

I rely on my PM's

Sometimes. Other times it's just not practical.

I don't!

Like Paul said, the PM is the key.

I just accept that things will cost more for IP's that aren't local. Just the same as I have to accept that maintenance on an IP (even a local one), will cost more than my own home.

We've had owners getting their own quotes and they usually come in higher than our trades people.

PMs can negotiate better rates because that trades person gets ALL the properties.

The other side to consider is tenant compensation for work not being done is more costly than the $50 you could save in shopping around for the best quotes.

a tenant left with no hot water while they ware waiting for 3 quotes is a disaster waiting to happen and legislation is not on the owners side.
a good PM would have it fixed in a day and avoid legal circumstances later.

Don't be afraid of changing agents. Some agents are good with these types of things and others are not. I am assuming you have reasons for feeling you maybe ripped off.

The reasons why I feel rip off because agents ask for maintenance every month for big items such replacement of hot water, new electricity meter box, kitchen bench surfacing. My property is in fairly good condition. No such big cost happen often in my PPOP.

Over what period of time?

How long have you had the ip?

How long has this tenant been in the property?

Are they paying an above market rent?

Things break quicker in an ip than in your ppor. Do you budget for any repairs and maintenance?

Back