Investing in Cars..

The next Shannons auction is on Sunday..

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/?id=current

I'll be bidding! I've got high hopes for continued climb in the value of 60s and 70's Australian Muscle Cars..

Not many investments that you'll get as much fun out of as a classic car... my kids love them too! And its a neat way of turning my hobby into a business.

The Buyers Premium sucks, $1500 from each successful bidder.

Anyone else sitting on cars in the expectation of capital gain?

Hi Dunc,
I'm sitting on an orig. FJ ute. Needs minor repairs, but is up on blocks under cover until i can be bothered.
also used to own an MGA Mk2, very nice little sports car, lots of fun.
I would like a worked EH wagon..... :D

I'm a big EH fan.. but I don't anticipate the values rising very fast on them :( I have two EH Sedans (Specials)..

I'm surprised at the prices of FJ utes.. they seem great value at the moment..

What has caught your eye Dunc?

I saw a Phase 3 GTHO recently in the paper and it was smicko and valued at around $800K from memory. I remember it was so long ago that one had sold for over $100K and I thought that was huge!

Ciao,

Geez my Val's gone up in Value, but nothing like those.

Maybe I need to stick her up on blocks for another 20 years.

Dave

What has caught your eye Dunc?

I saw a Phase 3 GTHO recently in the paper and it was smicko and valued at around $800K from memory. I remember it was so long ago that one had sold for over $100K and I thought that was huge!

Ciao,

Yeah.. amazing prices..

I'll tell you what I lots I bid on come Monday :)

At a wedding a few months ago, the wedding cars were old monaros. I did find out what years, but forgot, maybe late 60's. Done up immaculately. I'm not really into cars, but I struck up a conversation with the drivers and thinking I was smart, I said...
....."I suppose these are worth a bit eh...What?,40, 50 grand eh".

I didn't really think they were worth that much, but I though I would go high, to impress the owners. Turns out they were worth 6 figures. I nearly choked on my beer.

See ya's.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what I lots I bid on come Monday :)

Missed out..

Bid on the HQ LS 350 Monaro.. I went up to $36K and it sold at $45K.

Bid on the FX Ute up to $21K.. It sold for $35K

Oh well.. alls well that ends well. I already have an LS 350 Monaro that will soon be at the same quality as the Shannons one.. total cost to date $31K.

And I bought another HQ LS Monaro today (308) for $20K.. needs about $4K of little bits attended to..

I love old cars :)

Last edited:
As you and I have discussed, they certainly don't build 'em like they used to.

I've got high hopes for continued climb in the value of 60s and 70's Australian Muscle Cars.

What's your thinking on why that will continue (I presume you have more than only "hopes")?

As you know, with property it is easily to get figures for CG, etc. Do such figures exist for previous car sales?

M

What's your thinking on why that will continue (I presume you have more than only "hopes")?

Extremely limited supply and burgeoning interest in classic Australian Muscle Cars.. and the previous generation of Monaros (HT, HG, HK) are now often selling for well above $100K and the HQ Monaros are so much more, errr, muscular and handsome..

I cant see anything but a rosy future for the HQ Monaros. :)

Strictly vehicles in original form?

I like the HQ's (as you know), but I wouldn't call them great driving cars and, like many cars of that era, handling wise they do benefit from adjustments.

I mean you'd have to be a loon to alter a HK 327 or HT 350, but the HQ was never a victor at Bathurst.

Thoughts?

M

Strictly vehicles in original form?

I like the HQ's (as you know), but I wouldn't call them great driving cars and, like many cars of that era, handling wise they do benefit from adjustments.

I mean you'd have to be a loon to alter a HK 327 or HT 350, but the HQ was never a victor at Bathurst.

Thoughts?

I think its failings have long been forgotten in the ever ascending glorification of anything Monaro related... even a modified car is a good buy if the modifications are sympathetic to the marque.

my wifes uncle is sitting on a fleet of mustangs...

pride of place is a 71 fastback boss gt?? (i think) with a tweaked 351 cobra jet in the engine room...does well under 13 seconds on the quarter mile

its similar in appearance to this one http://www.snuffledopple.com/images/3623t.jpg

nothing like doing 150kmph on the highway and still being able to smoke the rears when you tromp it!!! certainly there is no substitute for horsepower.

hate to think what his collection is worth, but it'd be right up there!

lucky mongrel :p

I love firing up my big two tone 1981 Ford Bronco on a sunday morning and taking it for a cruise out in the country. Elbow out the window, V8 humming and no destination in particular.

Does it make sense? No.

Does it serve any purpose? No

Do I love it? Hell Yeah.:D

It might even be worth something oneday!

Sad.. I have an LC GTR Torana, my dad was first owner and I have restored it to concorse cond.

too scared to drive it or park it anyware, would get nicked as soon as I took my eyes off it.

My first car was an LJ Torana (XU1 replica) with a red 202 and my second was a HQ sedan with a 5lt 308. I sold them both for less than $2k-$3k in the early-mid 90's. I miss them both as i now drive a van for work but still have my Honda Fireblade to burn some fossil fuels and do the twisties on weekends. Sorry, but had to show off some pics :D

DSC00051.jpg

P7010033.jpg

:D
My first car was an LJ Torana (XU1 replica) with a red 202 and my second was a HQ sedan with a 5lt 308. I sold them both for less than $2k-$3k in the early-mid 90's. I miss them both as i now drive a van for work but still have my Honda Fireblade to burn some fossil fuels and do the twisties on weekends. Sorry, but had to show off some pics :D

DSC00051.jpg

P7010033.jpg

Nice wheels (wheelie) :D

Back