Investing in Port Hedland/South Hedland WA

Hi everyone

Just wondering what the latest thoughts are on investing in Port Hedland or South Hedland? I couldn't find any relatively recent threads discussing this area and just wondered how it is viewed post-GFC.

Yields are obviously very healthy, but is there still attractive CG to be had in the next few years? How do people view the risk profile of this area for investment?

All feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Angela :)

the entire west of Port Hedland (near the BHP site) has just been re-zoned under Amendment 22 to .......... no maximum density.....!!!!!

needless to say, 1000sqm sites just went from $850k to $1.2mil overnight.

PH is landlocked. get in while you can.

Im very interested in this area as well, ive had my name down now for a couple of months waiting on a land release. Bluecard are you buying established homes or trying to do new house/land packages?

i spoke to the land co-ordinator last week, seems h+l with builders is not on their radar, they are focussing more on the locals. the builder i know there has a huge list of applicants and isnt taking names anymore... what number on the list are you?

an investor i put onto karratha 3 years just sold out his 2 properties and will clear over $1.4m in profit, plus the 3 years of CF+. not bad for a 'risky' regional market!

yeh i have settled on a block and going for council approval now. There's no way you are too late.... the govt sells the land off way too cheap. The blocks should sell for twice what they sell them for

i spoke to the land co-ordinator last week, seems h+l with builders is not on their radar, they are focussing more on the locals. the builder i know there has a huge list of applicants and isnt taking names anymore... what number on the list are you?

an investor i put onto karratha 3 years just sold out his 2 properties and will clear over $1.4m in profit, plus the 3 years of CF+. not bad for a 'risky' regional market!

Ouch!

Hopefully he is not paying tax in the top tax bracket on @50% of his profits for CGT??

The government would want to send him a thankyou letter.

But then again, what a result!!

F

yeh i have settled on a block and going for council approval now. There's no way you are too late.... the govt sells the land off way too cheap. The blocks should sell for twice what they sell them for

Thats great to hear from others with more knowledge of the area than me.

Agree, there way under sold which makes it so enticing.

Bluecard: ...#3 on the list :) You should get one with the release in Feb.

Ouch!

Hopefully he is not paying tax in the top tax bracket on @50% of his profits for CGT??

The government would want to send him a thankyou letter.

But then again, what a result!!

F

unfortunately held in a company. he will have franking credits for life! another tick in the box for investing thru trusts...

What type of cost is incurred for a new build with a project builder. (3 bed, 2 bath)

Knowing that existing houses are through the roof, it would be interesting to see what cost is associated with a 'buy land and build new' scenario gos for .....around.

F

land $180k say, house $370k approx. val approx $1 - 1.1m. cant get the land unfortunately and i am not sure there will be any available this year, even if you are high on the list

i'm #3.... :p

i'm looking for some exposure in PH with a JV or two.

There are some very attractive new projects yielding 12%.

I have recently been enquiring in PH with an agent, and it seems very interesting.

I still need to do a bit more research though, as I have only recently taken note of the area.

Cheers,

F

we all need to keep an each way bet tho, the latest thought is the US could have a big correction on their stock market soon. if China implodes then the resources hyper boom will be cut down at the knees

Back