Investing in the Anchorage Estate at Rockingham-Shoalwaters Suburb

Hi Kenneth

Do you know which blocks are for sale by Real Estate Masters and why they are asking $349,000 as compared to the 'cheapest' block on realestate.com at $275,000 - that is a huge difference in asking price!

Sparky

Dear Sparky23,

1. From what I have been observing, Real Estate Masters (REM) is trying to "sell up" the land prices in the Anchorage Estate upto the level that they are fully comparable to be advertised price of the available vacant lands found in the surrounding suburbs like in the Harrington Waters Estate, Baldivis, Secret Harbour and Pt Kennedy areas.

2. Most of their stocks are physically located in the Rockingham suburb part of the Anchorage Estate. They have a few blocks (500-525m2) for sale along the Merrimac Loop.

3. This is because of the reducing stock of vacant land available in the Anchorage Estate and they are fully exploiting the supply-demand equation whereby there is currently a shortage of land supply within the Perth Metropolitan Region.

4. The lower priced vacant land is due probably to the conservativeness of the RE agencies marketing them though I do not rule out that these lower priced blocks are in fact the smaller cottage blocks of 450m2 or smaller in size.

5. The Rockingham Real Estate (TEL:08-9592 8999) is presently advertising a 522m2 vacant land for sale at 30, Grove Street, Shoalwaters, WA 6169 for $270,000 where you are presently building your 2 houses in the Anchorage Estate.

6. Rockingham Real Estate has another new vacant land (809m2 with 25 m frontage) lisitng for sale today at 15 Almond Avenue, Shoalwater for $332,000.

7. Realty Executives com.au also have a 572m2 vacant land for sale for $295,000.

8. Raine and Horne Rockingham is also marketing a piece of vacant land(437m2) at 33 Jupiter Bend for $346,000.

9. Let me research further and go out to check on the ground on those pieces of vacant lands being marketed by REM, before providing further updates here again in due course.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
so the block I sold in March in Eldon Street has gone up by over $100k! so much for a property collapse... as KS has illustrated, paying too much attention to doomsday mongers is an expensive exercise.

Poor Ausprop,

Which "doomsday mongers" did you choose to listen to and act?... I hope it wasn't me! if it is, I hereby tender my own sincere apologies here.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

ha ha! I would send you a bill Kenneth but you are sharing my pain...

seriously tho, I made a buck and it sold for what it was worth at the time. good luck to the new owners.

Dear All,

The lakefront lot at Lot 2012 at 26 Eldon Street, Shoalwater WA6169 was last valued for $250,000 in June 2006.

It is believed that its present estimated land value to be around A$335,000-A$350,000 under today's market conditions.

Can those well-informed members, like Paulie etc, kindly help to provide the relevant comparable sale data for similar lakefront land ( as well as other non-lake front vacant land) in the Rockingham-Shoalwater suburbs to help confirm its present land value, please.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Dear Ausprop,

Good on you! My Congratulations to you as well as to the other members who have also successfully invested into the Anchorage Estate, please!

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Dear All,

1. There are presently about 24 properties on sale at the Anchorage Estate, twice as many as during the last 2 months.

2. 20 of these houses on sale are presently listed with realestate.com.au. with various asking prices ranging from $418,000 to $589,000. Only 9 listed properties are newly completed houses while the remaining 11 houses are "near-new" houses of 5 years old or less.

3. For your kind update, please.

4. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Dear Sparky23,

1. I've driven around the entire Anchorage Estate and found that REM only have 4 pieces of vacant land for sale. The land size varies between 522m2 to 556m2 and with an asking price of $349,000, I will consider the asking price to be excessive.

2. Presently, the lakefront vacant lands at the Anchorage Estate are only asking around $335,000-$355,000 price range.

3. Thus, if you are planning to purchase another piece of vacant land there at the Anchorage Estate, , I will suggest getting it from Rockingham Real Estate for $270,000 at 30 Grove Street or from Roy Weston for $275,0000 at Elixir Way.

4. For your kind updates, please.

5, Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth Koh

Last edited:
Hi Kenneth

Thank you for checking it out. I am very happy with what I have already at the Anchorage and will now wait and see what happens in Yanchep, I received the new price list yesterday and the majority of the blocks are only 315 sqm with prices from $165,000 so I was clearly very fortunate with my block from the last release!

Sparky

Kennethkohsg said:
Dear KS,

1. I'm curious to know where you get the figures from and how accurate and reliable are they, as they are quite different from those given by REIWA, isn't it?

Sorry kenneth I was not referring to the previously mentioned figures as the median for the Anchorage, I was just using a random house value to illustrate the potential costs associated with selling.

The scenario I detailed was very close to what I was looking at if I sold one of my houses, and the main reson why I decided against it.

I myself am currently looking at a very prestigious area to build our long term PPOR, I am just hoping that first stage release will be within my price range.

<KS>

Dear KS,

1. Thank you for your clarification.

2. I am now also in the midst of addressing the issue between " optimising" the investing profits vis-a-vis "maximising" the profit for my own Singapore investors.

3. For safety and prudency reasons, we prefer the investors to "optimise" the profits so as to enable them to have their first hand positive experience and outcome in investing into the Australian property markets, build their trust in us and the Australian property markets;- rather than to encourage them to try to maximise the profits, given the higher risks involved faced in exiting out from the market as well as depending on their individual risk appetite.

4. As far as the Anchorage Estate is concerned, I now see twice as many properties being listed for sale as say a few months ago. Increasingly, I am now seeing more "near new" old properties coming into the market as well as houses under construction being listed for sale off the plan and with some of the asking prices started to be lowered by some A$5,000 lately.

5. While personally I do not see the Perth property market as likely to "suddenly busts down" at this point in time, I am closely monitoring the market situation myself.

6. If the market starts (and continues) to ease off over the next few months, then I will expect to see more slowing down of the market and which will slow down even more significantly in 2007-2008 period but no property market bust;- however if the market housing prices continues to spiral upwards uncontrollably over the next few months as before, then, personally, I will not rule out a "sudden bust" occuring in 2007 or 2008 time-frame, despite the resource boom continuing beyond that.

6. Please also note that the present higher asking prices for houses does not neccessarily translate into the effective high sale price realised. This is especially so when we are "peaking" over the market where comparable sale data evidence from DOLA, may soon start to show a decline in the housing price growth, probably not so in 2006, but very likely in 2007 and 2008 time frame when the Perth-Rockingham-Mandurah Railway Project construction is fully completed and becomes operational then.

7. For your kind update, please.

8. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

<KS> said:
I myself am currently looking at a very prestigious area to build our long term PPOR, I am just hoping that first stage release will be within my price range.

<KS>
Dear KS,

1. Please PM me where exactly is this project located which you are looking at in private if you are not comfortable/prefer not to openly share with us in this forum.

2. I am actually awaiting for the news on the Coogee Project from Australand, in the meantime. I have also started to do my own research into the Sydney and Melbourne property markets during this period.

4. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Dear All,

1. I've noted that more properties in the Anchorage Estate have come into the market over the weekend.

2. The asking price for Lot 1909, Almond Avenue Shoalwaters, WA 6169 in the Anchorage Estate, has "suddenly" dropped by some $40,000 from $489,000 to $449,000. The said property is presently marketed by Century 21-Coast Realty Mandurah.

3. While I do notice a general drop in asking prices (of less than A$10,000) lately, this is the first time I am seeing a sudden A$40,000 drop in asking price.

4. Either the house owner wants to quickly/"urgently" exit out from the market or he/she is some sort of truly "motivated" vendor, to suddenly drop the asking price by some A$40,000 over the last weekend.

5. Are we to expect more of such similar things to occur in the near future?

6. For your kind update and further comments/discussion, please.

7. Thank you

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Really interesting updates Kenneth,
You may be at the fronline of a local correction, as it unfolds, as quite clearly your information is far more up to date than anything REIWA or RP Data can produce.

My feeling is you are witnessing the cycle as it turns the corner, and further unfolds.

KEvin..

what a bargain. the house is almost free vs the price of buying a vacant block! why anyone would want the headaches and expense of building is beyond me.

Aus,
Put in an offer and find out.....
Better still, put one in on my behalf.... second thoughts....beter not.
Would have to put up with Kenneth driving around every street daily, checking out which properties are on/off the market..( sorry Kenneth)

Kevin

Dear Ausprop,

1. We are actually referring to the same property concerned.

2. I've phoned the RE agent to check out on the offer. I am now awaiting his reply as I post here.

4. Thank you.

cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Dear Ausprop,

1. Having re-checked my own research database, the same house was last listed for sale off the plan for $445,000 with Vogue Realty on the 7th July 2006 at the realestate.com.au.

2. It has since then re-listed with the present agent at Century 21-Mandurah, for $489,000.

3. I'm also wondering why the RE agent at Century 21-Mandurah, Greg Jardine is taking such a long time to return call to me?...3 hours already.

4. Taking all things into considerations, I will not be surprised if this is purely a marketing gimmick i.e the house is likely to be be marketed and to be sold "as it is" and not to the full turnkey basis i.e without the landscaping, reticulation bore installation etc or/and that the vendor is getting "impatient" of waiting for a sale, having knew that he has been "baited" already. This will however be subject to further confirmation once I get a return call from the RE agent concerned to further verify things for myself in due course.

5. For your kind update and further comment/discussion, please.

6. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Back