Investing journey

Looking back over your investing journey, what would you do differently to improve your wealth today?

Mine would have to be to keep buying an IP each year following my first purchase in 2000 and not wait until 2005 for the next one! Definitely learnt from this :D

Looking back over your investing journey, what would you do differently to improve your wealth today?

Mine would have to be to keep buying an IP each year following my first purchase in 2000 and not wait until 2005 for the next one! Definitely learnt from this :D

I would never have agonised over the tiny figures.

I would never have sold an IP.

I would have done all the things I wanted to try but was not allowed to do by my fearful spouse.

Nothing!

While there are many, many things we did wrong and certainly would be a lot wealthier for changing things, at the end of the day, changing some of the most crucial things we did would change where we are living, which would change a whole lot of other things in our life which I am sure we have a lot more comfort from than mere material wealth.

The biggest mistake (wealth wise) was going back into a sport that Hubby and I had retired from when children made their appearance. By re-entering the sport we did some serious damage to our wealth, both with associated costs in actually pursuing the sport as a family and the most devistating of all hardship when we nearly faced bankruptcy from operating a Business.

If we had not have had to endure all of this, our family would not have all represented the country in the sport we all love.

tarah,
I see where you're coming from, but skater has a good point, even if it is a bit of a cop-out! :D

I wouldn't have got a loan for a house when my wife was on full-time wages but only 3 months before 1st bub was due! It got tight there for a while!

I also would have been more willing to slow down just a liiiittle bit to avoid x-coll.

Well I am still very new at this, but I would have gotten an offset against my PPOR, rather then just going the redraw option.

The only thing I wish I could change, was the age I was when I first bought. Buying this house has triggered this investment obsession - I just wished it happened when I was 18!!

23 isn't too bad though...;)

Great thread! Is there one previous to this?

I look forward to a lot more posting. I find this valuable learning.

Ours would be - work in partnership with MB in understanding the loan process and choices on the market.

If you feel the MB is not performing, follow your gut and look for another one.

The only thing I wish I could change, was the age I was when I first bought. Buying this house has triggered this investment obsession - I just wished it happened when I was 18!!

23 isn't too bad though...;)

It's more about what you buy not when you buy imo. You're young and can afford to fail so should take more risks, definitely don't settle for smallish 300k things and so forth.

i would have listened more to some people, and less to others ... i would have sat down and worked out my destination and worked out how to get there before setting out on the journey and making things up as i went along ... i would have analysed the deals i made money on and repeated them instead of trying new things ... i would have kept the emotion out of the purchases.

i would have listened more to some people, and less to others ... i would have sat down and worked out my destination and worked out how to get there before setting out on the journey and making things up as i went along ... i would have analysed the deals i made money on and repeated them instead of trying new things ... i would have kept the emotion out of the purchases.

I think you speak for a lot of investors with those words. Even many who don'r even realise it.

Skater - what sport did you do?

AndrewT - 23 is still very young to buy a house and you had the guts to start so imagine where you'll be when you're 40!

id say i wouldnt have trusted the 'MB' who sold me my first apartment.

actually, what this really means is I would have spent more time doing some due diligence instead of blindly jumping in and buying at the top of the boom in sydney.

same goes for my second purchase which was done off my own bat.

as it is it took 5 years and a bout of chicken pox to get me actually reading and researching the things that should be par for the course!!!

not to worry though as Im still here and I have learnt from those mistakes.

I would have opted for properties which I could build a GF on. Right now, I'm contemplating selling one in Mildura. My PM says it's not suitable and there's no real demand for GF there. I've yet to do my own research.

I don't like the idea of selling (agent's commission & CGT)!

Back