Investment Loan & CGT on primary residence

I'm looking to buy my first home in QLD - to afford it I will have to factor in flat mate rent and get the property as an Investment loan and pay investment stamp duty.

Will I be charged CGT when I come to sell or will I be exempt due to the property being my primary place of residence.

Why not just buy as a PPOR, pay owner/occupier stamp duty and if you need to, you get in a mate to help contribute to the living expenses. You wouldn't have a lease. It is not "rent" but a mate contributing to your living expenses.

This always seems to be a bit of a grey area with some saying any income must be declared, and you would pay higher stamp duty, but you might only need a mate in for a few months to get on your feet.

Why not just buy as a PPOR, pay owner/occupier stamp duty and if you need to, you get in a mate to help contribute to the living expenses. You wouldn't have a lease. It is not "rent" but a mate contributing to your living expenses.

This always seems to be a bit of a grey area with some saying any income must be declared, and you would pay higher stamp duty, but you might only need a mate in for a few months to get on your feet.

There is no grey area. No deductions allowed. If its rent then some deductions allowed.

Anyone contributing to your expenses is paying rent...Call it board. Lease or not. Formal or informal. Call it anything. Is it income? YES. (Not if its family - That's just love and affection stuff.) Can I also offset deductions against that income ?? Will I be up for CGT if I do this ?? Yes....Some.

payments received from boarders aren't necessarily taxable income. Taxation Ruling IT 2167 examines the situation where a property is let to relatives in a non-arms length transaction. Where the rent payment received amounts to a contribution to expenses, and is not considered as a reward to the home owner but is considered a private arrangement, the rent is not considered assessable income.

A few PBR's also confirm the same re non relatives. Isn't always the same as evidence by the second PBR.

https://www.ato.gov.au/rba/content/?ffi=/misc/rba/content/1011710463301.htm

https://www.ato.gov.au/rba/content/?ffi=/misc/rba/content/1011745088063.htm

Back