Investment outdoor spa

Hi all,
I have just purchased a investment house in Margate QLD, what are your thoughts on leaving an existing certified outdoor spa on the property for a rental. I will be getting it serviced seasonally with me covering callout cost and tenant covering chemical costs, apparently this is a normal setup that the spa service company do. So I believe it would cost me min $300 per year for call outs and $200 every two years for pool safety cert. The PM estimates the house could rent for 420-430 with spa and 400-410 without. So potentially about $1000 extra a year.
It will cost me about $800 to get it removed and delivered to my place in Newcastle, but this doesn't include setup at my home.

What would you do?

Hi all,
I have just purchased a investment house in Margate QLD, what are your thoughts on leaving an existing certified outdoor spa on the property for a rental. I will be getting it serviced seasonally with me covering callout cost and tenant covering chemical costs, apparently this is a normal setup that the spa service company do. So I believe it would cost me min $300 per year for call outs and $200 every two years for pool safety cert. The PM estimates the house could rent for 420-430 with spa and 400-410 without. So potentially about $1000 extra a year.
It will cost me about $800 to get it removed and delivered to my place in Newcastle, but this doesn't include setup at my home.

What would you do?

I would relocate it, based on the following points:

1) you can't really ask a significant higher rent with a spa
2) your tenant will not look after the spa, it may get damaged
3) your tenant will be calling you for maintenance here and there which will do you head in

4) did I mention, you won't get a significant increase with your returns?

Our ex-PPOR in South Perth has a spa with a deck built around it and a pool fence so when we moved and it became an IP two years ago, the spa stayed. We pay for servicing every two months and the tenant pays for the chemicals.

No issues so far, maintenance or otherwise. It suits our tenant demographic (young professional couples), otherwise I'd be inclined to remove it too.

Do you risk being sued for child maintenance if the tenants get a bit too amorous in the spa? A bit too much champagne and it could happen...

Just an update I forgot to do back in Sep, You all pretty much told me what I was expecting so i sold the spa. Put the thing on gumtree and it sold in a couple days. Worked out well because I did a week of maintenance and tidying up around the IP and it was sold and picked up on the last day. Cash from selling the spa basically covered the maintenance I carried out. House rented out a week later.
Happy days

Thanks all for your thoughts

Back