investment properties

dale

I am a property reseacher, I always recommend that people do their due dilligence. I am asking if anyone is interested in more information. I do know what I am talking about. I do not put people into second rate places like Buffalow.

If you are interested in Texas remember two things, firstly you will get 70% finance which means that you will have to fund at least 30%. Secondly yearly property taxes run at 3% of the property value. You can buy some great forclosureproperties and high cashflow but you need to do your sum correctly.

Hi Nigel

You may be good at what you do, Nigel. I have no idea, of course.
However, I am concerned that this forum could be used to sell a concept and product that perhaps a VERY large percentage of people should not consider given their financial situation and financial education.

Besides, given some of your earlier experiences and recommendations when your associations with not so wonderful people were called into question, shouldn't we be concerned now?

A search on your earlier posts & discussions a few years ago would prove quite interesting perhaps.

Dale

Nigel Kibel said:
I am a property reseacher, I always recommend that people do their due dilligence. I am asking if anyone is interested in more information. I do know what I am talking about. I do not put people into second rate places like Buffalow.

Nigel Kibel said:

Is anyone else concerned that someone who is supposed to be an expert in US property misspelled 'Buffalo'? The letter "w" isn't anywhere near the "o".
Alex

alexlee said:
Is anyone else concerned that someone who is supposed to be an expert in US property misspelled 'Buffalo'? The letter "w" isn't anywhere near the "o".
Alex

that was the first thing that jumped out at me too ...

alexlee said:
Alex

I think it was meant to be a deliberate pun commenting on the LOW aspect of the city. Geoff will know for sure...

My understanding is that Texas has not had anything like the boom other more favoured states have enjoyed so any increase would be off a lower base.

Also get the impression the climate is not well regarded and people don't choose it, but tax refugees from California don't care so much.

hi all
interesting post and I have a few question
why texas you may ask because I do
it is along way from here and you are buying into a market with differing views as to return but lets put it up against a market that I am looking at guangdong which is alot closer and has alot better chase of following high growth patterns.
1.firstly you will get 70% finance which means that you will have to fund at least 30%(texas)guangdong you get 80% with the other 20% in effect vendor finance back as they are networth lending so no money goes into china.
2.Secondly yearly property taxes run at 3% of the property value( texas)guangdong they give a international investor a honey moon rate with regards to taxes and each project is separate and you negotiate your tax threshholds.
3. one thing which has not been mentioned is growth but I will for guangdong, the markets value is currently growing at about twice that of perth and perth is our hottest market
macq listed trust asia 2 is in this market and macq has just opened an office for this market.
most of the steel and concrete thats being sucked out of australia is going to this market.
the growth for the next 5 years is ear marked to be in excess of 25% put that and the fact that your investment money stays here and is similar to an equity lend on a term deposit.

why would you look at these markets and to post.
(You can buy some great forclosureproperties and high cashflow but you need to do your sum correctly) why if the cash flow is so high and you did the sums why are they for closing why didn't he just rent it out.
I see lots of people posting to buy in buffalo etc put I look for markets that will have very large growth in a market, and that looks like its going to give high growth
and the us for me hasn't got it
columbo sri lanka is going to do better then texas I think.
oh and if interested in guangdong
email me on [email protected]
as a property researcher nigel
I would have a glance at this market.
also when investing in china you only have to pay for the flight there
as the government pays accommodation and meals as an investor which is also a little easier.
I am not recommending people to jump on planes and go to china as its not as easy as that.
just bgiving a bit of balance to investing in the us

This point was raised in another post, but while I’m sure there are great opportunities in the US, why should we diversify to that level? It’s like shares: I might buy international share funds but I think it’s stretching myself too thin to research and buy individual overseas stocks.

In property, there are maybe 10 separate markets in Oz that have very different characteristics. i.e. there is plenty of scope to diversify within Australia. Even more if you include New Zealand.

Why would an investor who has only ever invested in Australia (and has spent time learning the laws, procedures, etc) invest directly into a market in which they have no experience? If you list all the state capitals, 3 or 4 markets in New Zealand and a few others like the Gold Coast, Cairns, etc you have a lot of diversification available, all within the same (general) legal and tax regime. Looking at, say, Perth vs Brisbane vs Sydney we can see that having property in just these 3 markets gives good diversification.
Alex

Nigel Kibel said:
I am currently working with an agent in San Antonio in Texas. If anyone is interested in investing here, please send me .....
Research I've seen indicates that the US is close to the peak of it's housing boom. Is this what you're experiencing?

Sorry Nigel

Off at a tangent , people will remember what was triggered by the peak of the Australia ( excluding WA ;) ) Property market ...

See Change

usa

I agree that in many parts of the United States the markets have peaked. However they have not in San Antonio and much of Texas. The market is moving here. I would have thought that the only thing to stop the markets here and the property taxes. However there is debate going on at present in the state government here that the tax will be reduced. The reason is that around 50% of the tax relates to schools and it has been deemed as illegal to raise these funds through property taxes.

I always suggest that people should be careful. I have also been posting on this site for a long time. People should always do their own research. Ideally if people wish to invest they should travel here.

Nigel Kibel said:
I agree that in many parts of the United States the markets have peaked. However they have not in San Antonio and much of Texas. The market is moving here.
This research from citibank supports that.

citibank said:
Housing slowing in most regions, Fed says

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Home sales and construction are slowing in most regions of the nation, according to anecdotal accounts reported by the 12 Federal Reserve banks on Wednesday in the Beige Book.
"Most districts report cooling and moderation in their residential real estate markets," the Beige Book said. "In general, year-on-year price appreciation seems to be lower than in quarters past, with [Fed banks in] San Francisco, Cleveland, Kansas City, Richmond, New York, and Boston all reporting more modest price growth in residential sales." See full story on the Beige Book.
The Dallas region was an exception, reporting "particularly strong residential sales." The Dallas district encompasses Texas, southern New Mexico and northern Louisiana.

grossreal said:
3. one thing which has not been mentioned is growth but I will for guangdong, the markets value is currently growing at about twice that of perth and perth is our hottest market
macq listed trust asia 2 is in this market and macq has just opened an office for this market.
most of the steel and concrete thats being sucked out of australia is going to this market.
the growth for the next 5 years is ear marked to be in excess of 25% put that and the fact that your investment money stays here and is similar to an equity lend on a term deposit.

As this section is caveat emptor, for those newbies, it means buyers BEWARE. It is important to note that parts of China are undergoing property bubbles at the moment or have burst, and this includes Guangzhou (formerly Canton) which is the capital city in Guangdong Province which this poster is trying to sell to YOU. Meanwhile Shanghai property bubble has burst!

see the article below http://en.ce.cn/Industries/Property/200601/26/t20060126_5953374.shtml

Shanghai property bubble burst: UBS 
Last Updated(Beijing Time):2006-01-26 11:49

Shanghai property bubble has burst which will mean a difficult couple of years for the city's developers, but it will not mean a problem for China as a whole, UBS chief Asia-pacific economist Jonathan Anderson said.

"The (Shanghai property) bubble has already burst ... the top end has come down and volumes have slowed. ... and I think for the greater Shanghai region - for high-end residential and high-end commercial properties you may have a difficult year or two ahead," Anderson said, noting that prices could stabilize or come down.

UBS does not see any real problems for the rest of China, although here are some isolated pockets where real estate prices are showing bubble-like qualities, specifically noting Guangzhou and parts of Beijing, he said.

"If you look at nationwide indicators we don't see any signs of trouble - prices in Shanghai at the peak were rising 30-40 percent a year, but if you look at prices nationwide they were rising six or seven percent per year and rising very very stably and sustainably," he said.

He noted that this national rate of increase for real-estate prices is at a slower pace than the rate of income increases.

"Everything outside of the greater Shanghai region looks alright, is the bottom line," he said.

Anderson was speaking to reporters on UBS's 2006 estimates for China. He reiterated that the bank is expecting a recovery in construction and infrastructure spending, which together with continued buoyant consumption and export momentum, point to an improved domestic demand outlook for 2006.

This also means faster import growth, and thus a falling trade balance.

The result is a better environment for domestic industries - but also lower headline GDP growth, he said.

The bank is expecting average real GDP growth of 8 to 8.5 percent over the next five to 10 years. But it does not see a repeat of 1997-98 as a strong possibility, when -- by UBS estimates -- the economy was only growing at 2 to 3 percent at the trough, Anderson said.

"The forecast implies a soft landing for the economy: growth staying near trend; profit margins troughing; and no sharp inventory build-up or excessive unemployment pressures," he said.

Anderson said he is expecting a recovery in spending, in construction and an end of the excess capacity cycle in China.

"For the past 12 to 18 months China has been in a virtual recession in areas like property construction and infrastructure spending," he said. "The tightening that we saw in 2003 and 2004 was very aggressive in these areas, a lot of projects had their financing cut off."

He said there have been signs of a pickup in these areas in the past "two or three" of quarters and that the bank is expecting increased spending on machinery, steel, cement, aluminum and other areas.

With demand picking up in these areas, which had been previously considered overheated, there will be an improvement in margins and profitability from the second half, he said.

Source:Shenzhen Daily

hi gigigoodyear
sorry to tell you that this is not selling property in guangdong as this was an example.
I am not selling product at all and yes when investing in a any project caveat emptor should be observed.
this type of investing is for commercial not residental sites and is specific for an area.
have a a read and try and burn this one and I would be very interested in your views on it
as this is also an example.
area juye shandong province
last oct was given approval for 1.8 billion us funding for 7 open cut mines (coal)
expected workers in the area 960000 people
one hotel 3 star 250 rooms no others and optioned this 3 star hotel
project
build 300 room 5 hotel on land given by goverment.
so term deposit 2 years here on a 5 mil unlisted trust
jv builder company gets loan to construct (there problem)( and they are the 7th largest construction company so not that much of a problem for them)
we get hotel chain to sign lease on new hotel ( no other 5 star in the area)
we equity lend on the 5 mil deposit for any short fall(if any)
hotel is built value 10mil
we list trust and revenue raise 15 mil
pay out 10mil for hotel and keep 5 mil in another term deposit here for next project
money is releast from first term deposit and either goes back to seed capitalists or is used again
seed capitalists get there money back after 24 months plus a percentage of shares in the listed trust( to be organised)
simple

in any of this have I sold anything to anyone.
no
am I saying invest in china no
and as for this
(As this section is caveat emptor, for those newbies, it means buyers BEWARE. It is important to note that parts of China are undergoing property bubbles at the moment or have burst, and this includes Guangzhou (formerly Canton) which is the capital city in Guangdong Province which this poster is trying to sell to YOU. Meanwhile Shanghai property bubble has burst!)
sorry but you can't say an area's property buble has burst, they say that about sydney but I can give you areas that have not moved at all and some are still moving up in value you have to look.
If you are investing in melbourne currently you look at the outer areas that will grow or sydney the same.
this is not investing in a unit or house or selling a unit or house this is just investing with min risk in a market that is currently growing.
for me if I could under this system build a 300 room hotel in karratha wa and there was no other hotel there and it was before they started the fields up there and you could go back in time not sure who wouldn't invest in that.
caveat emptor is right and should be kept in the back of your mind but also is making money and if you can make money and mitigate risk and you can see an opportunity to do so then you evaluate that project.
I always find it funny that people look at the us market or the china market or the russian market they are the size of Australia and some of the cities have the population the of all of Australia but if you posted that the whole of Australia's property market had burst and that people shouldn't invest in Australia you would be laugh at if you sat in rockingham or karratha for that matter.

my post here was to ask nigel
why America when the returns in parts of china are alot better.
like any investment understand the market you are investing in.

investing in china

Having lived 5 years in China and visited factories and mines as part of my work, I personally would not invest in mines as they are environmentally unfriendly and dangerous. Hundreds of Chinese miners are killed every year. I am outraged when I read the newspapers and see the news that more miners have been killed because the mine owners wanted to pocket most of the profits while paying miners a pittance. Most of these miners come from the poorer provinces of China. Sometimes mine owners don't even pay the miners. They are also in league with corrupt provincial officials. I wouldn't want to own shares in a mine because if some disaster were to befall a mine and hundreds of miners killed then, apart from bad karma, the Central government will go after the fleeing mine owner and corrupt officials to execute them and who knows who else.

I would also like to let people know that many coal miners in China suffer from black lung disease. They are not supplied with protective equipment when they mine. Since they are paid a pittance they do not receive adequate medical care anymore. The Central govt has decentralised health care and now all medical services are fee based.

Are you still willing to invest in coal mines in China?

Re hotel investments in China...they also double up as sex worker hotels. I can't tell you how many times I have been woken up by the telephone at 3am in the morning with a sex worker at the other end of the line. But by all means invest, it should be profitable from this perspective.

Yeh, that the problem with a lot of these 'developing' countries.

All glitter and gloss from the outside, but pretty grotty when you scratch the surface.

Life is cheap...life is cheap....

kp

hi gigigoodyear
the world is full of places that from our view looking at them would be verry unsavoury and if people want to invest in mine thats there call
heze minerals is the largest mining group in china and are listed on the us and I think Australia asx but thats not what we are looking at
we are looking at specific areas with min risk and high returns and those two markets are A hotels and B shopping centers both of which don't kill people and people need.
if you search this area (juye shandong)yes it will be a heavy metal, heavy industry grey looking area but at the end of the day people are going to fly in there, sales people,mine management and etc this is not going to be on getaway or wish you were here
but they are going to need hotels and thats what we are looking at providing in some form.
I equate it to the karratha,port kembla,mt isa,etc the are not the holiday areas but people go there to do business and need a bed for the night,
as for the workers that wake you up at 3 in the morning sorry but in these type of high income(compared to the norm for the country, karratha is a good example) it attracts this type of worker and since the romans has.
so thats a part of life.
if you were a banker living in king x he would tell you the same but that because they are attracted to that area.
If you live in china or have lived in china you will see the changes that are happening and countries evolve for good or bad and that doesn't effect investment
you invest in what you think is a good investment taking all information on board.
sorry kp there is not alot of glitter in this area
and life in a lot of parts of the world has got a different value to ours but you still look at these markets or they would never be able to trade out of there current position.
little bit of trivia that does give you some idea of this markets growth.
there were more rolls royce, and ferrari sold in to this market last year then the rest world wide combined.
for a prospective I have joined greenmonkey.com to understand what the expats in this market have to say and is a good source of information for people interested in this market.
sorry nigel if this has hyjacked your post if you wish post question
post in
where to buy.
china and who's there maybe a better place.

Back