Investment property for sale - Metford 2323

We have an investment property in Metford NSW 2323. We bought it 8 years ago. We have moved to the UK earlier this year, and been considering of selling it to reduce our debt and maybe to buy something here. Therefore, we would like to know if any forumite would like to consider buying this as part of their portfolio.

It is an ordinary family home with 3 good size bedrooms, built around 30 years ago. Other features include: a family bathroom, an extra toilet off the laundry, a separate lounge, a kitchen with a dining area, a sun room, a built-in brick bbq area, a built-in garage - with internal access - with an extra parking spot behind the garage. It is close to a primary school, and a short drive to Greenhill shopping centre.

Towards the end of 2010 we put it on the market for $330K as my husband and I were splitting up, and then existing tenants bought their own place (so the timing was right). It sat on the market for 3 months with a number of viewings but no offer. Subsequently we got back together and decided to re-let the property. Current tenant (there since December 2010) is moving out, so we thought now maybe the time to sell it as we do not like selling while tenants are in the house.

The current weekly rent on the property is $370 a week. In the last 12 months at current tenant's requests we have installed a new security alarm system, new fence along side one neighbour's property and a new gate. Current tenant has requested us to put in a new ducted AC - to replace the existing one (it was there when we bought the house). We have yet to do this, and are still getting quotes and advices on it.

Since we live overseas and it has become very difficult to get straight answers from the property manager on the AC. She wanted us to replace the AC system and re-let the property. She said we could get an extra $20 in weekly rent for it.

We do not want to put the property on the market for sale with a RE agent. We have not been impressed with the last one we used. We thought if any forumite is interested, we would be willing to negotiate - to save us time and agent's commission.

We will be "realistic" in our expected price range. We do understand there has not been much growth over the last 4 years in Metford for older established property. However, the property has generated good rental yield - more than 5%pa.

We are honest, open and straightforward people. We will be happy to answer any question which anyone who is interested may have. We can answer it on the forum or via PM.

Thank you for your interest. I am also be interested in receiving suggestions as to the best ways for us to sell this property. It is not a dump, but liveable home. We have always had tenants living in the property.

I'll take it for $180k - not worth anymore to me due to yield :) and the fact I can get similar properties for under $200k in the area

I'll take it for $180k - not worth anymore to me due to yield :) and the fact I can get similar properties for under $200k in the area

Please do share links to these magical sub 200k in Metford family houses you speak of. And I mean in Metford, not some down the road a bit trash suburb like Woodberry. The reason so many people no longer take you seriously is due to these broad generalised unsubstaintiated claims you make.

Hi Babushka - long time no hear (or see!)

Photo's (Maybe from the previous sales campaign)?

The Y-man

Hi Y-man

Thanks for your greetings. Hope things are going well for you.

I am still around. Years gone by so quickly! Unfortunately 3 years ago marriage almost felt apart - but we are now back and moved to another country to rebuild it. We have enjoyed living in London since the beginning of this year. Investments in properties have been good, but those in shares have gone belly up big ways - particularly in a particular managed fund! But we have taken the losses as "experience"!

Today we are going to the Hampton Court Palace flower show. But in the coming days I will post photos and details of the sale we put up more than 18 months ago. And, will be happy to answer any question which anyone may have.

You're right Dave - not in Metford per sae but surrounding suburbs - imo there's no point paying over the odds for a 'better' suburb if you get a better return in surrounding suburbs which will have similar prospects over the long term. I'm sure I could find one sub-200k in Metford though if given a few months to wait for the bargain.

one bad REA does not make them all bad.

Do you have pictures etc of said property so forumites get a better understanding of property.

AS an aside - low CG prop's would normally draw higher yields (hence JWR's note about yield). You can get 5% nowadays in city areas which promise reasonable CG.

Other option - vendor finance??

Here was what the agent's sale ad said about 18 months ago: "This home has 3 good size bedrooms, all with built-in robes. A separate lounge and dining area, family room and large enclosed QLD room. Ducted Air Conditioning. Great for those weekend get-together with covered built-in BBQ area, and a good sized back yard. Garage has drive thru access to back yard. Great Location - walk to schools, transport at door and close to Greenhills shopping centre."

The photos are in the attached pdf file. They were taken by agent for the sale ad. A solicitor in the area drew up a contract of sale - which we paid for then. Guesses for current price range $300K to $317K. But as said, we are willing to negotiate. There have been a lot of new houses in our area, people would prefer to buy those to live in instead of ours. Ours would be more suited to investors as they tend to rent well. One thing we need to do as part of the sale will be to fix up the AC. Weekly rental has been $370 a week, but agent said we could get an extra $10 or $20 a week - after we fix the AC. Land size over 600sqm.

Hope these will give forumites who may be interested to have more understanding about the property. I will be happy to answer more questions. Thank you.

Attachments

• Photos of Metford property NSW 2323.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 164
one bad REA does not make them all bad.

Do you have pictures etc of said property so forumites get a better understanding of property.

AS an aside - low CG prop's would normally draw higher yields (hence JWR's note about yield). You can get 5% nowadays in city areas which promise reasonable CG.

Other option - vendor finance??

We have considered vendor finance, and it is not an option for us.

Back