Investment Property Planners

Van,

this is more than likely a two-tier marketing crowd.

Before you do anything more, just ask the guy you spoke to one question;

"I want to use my own independant lawyer, my own independant finance, and I want to get the properties you show me independantly valued. Are you ok with that?"

You will know by his response if they are scammers or not.

If they still insist that you use their "reputable" people, you need to run away. Fast.

Hi Van75.

As already stated here LOTS OF TIMES, be very wary of these kind of 'investor groups'.

If they are the real deal, get on the phone to them and ask to divulge the areas they will be showing you BEFORE you actually go up to Brisbane (if you now decide to go). If they do tell you the areas (which I doubt) they will be showing you, you can do your own research.

Personally, I wouldn't touch them, although I understand that as a new investor, you would to think that these companies are taking all the hard work out of it for you. Just keep in mind that they are there to make money FOR THEMSELVES.

Regards
Marty

I live in Surry Hills, so far I've only looked at inner city areas, which look expensive and oversupplied because of the number of highrises, but I'm not so naive to think that there is no greater Sydney.

Maybe surry hills is (I have no idea).

With all due respect, if you think you can't find a house for an IP at 400-500, you ARE ignoring greater Sydney. I'm looking at the <THREE hundred k market and I'm finding decent prospects for houses for IPs.
Alex

Van, if you're thinking of going with property advisers that evaluate different properties for you and find one on the market that suits your financial needs, then I'd say go for it (ie. buyers agents, Metropole etc).

If you are going to go to a company that puts you in the passenger seat, and drives you around to 3 or 4 projects they are working on to see if you like them, I'd say run the other way.

If I would have read all these responses a year ago, I would have not used ARPP for my first IP. I have already purchased my first IP(house+land) in feb 2007 in Coomera near GoldCoast thorough them. I think they are fairly honest about what they do, but at the end of the day they are there to make money. I was very amature in this IP game and still I am, I have just decided to use them for first one and play with caution.

I flew to gold cost and they took me to around 4 properties in upper coomera, ormeau and nerang. The agent explained me why those areas have potential to grow. I liked one in upper coomera. The agent was bit pushy but I refused to sign on the same day. I went home and did my research about the suburb and price they are asking. I think you could use them but you have to save your own..
(1) Do not sign contract on the same day
(2) Do your own research about suburb and price. I have asked them to reduce 10000$ after looking at the reports from homepriceguide and they gave me as rebate.
(3) Choose your own finance manager and solicitor if you want.
(4) You could even get the property/land valuated by independent party.

My property is in final stage of construction. The construction got bit delayed, because of weather in QLD. It turned out that the suburb upper coomera, doing good. The rent is increased 50$/wk for similar to mine and also the property on sale on the same/near by streets doing good. I bought 4bdrm/657sqm house+land package for 411000.

I agree with other guys here that you could save more with DIY approach but buying in other cities is not an easy one.

Hope this helps. feel free to comment on my actions/mistakes.

Thanks

Hi Van :)

$400-500k will buy you properties in Sydney, including units closer into the city in well regarded growth suburbs, in small blocks (higher land value content) and with some pretty decent yields at the moment. Freestanding housing will be found further out (try north and southwest) but still good value and rents rising in most demand areas of Sydney. If you do decide to buy in Sydney, we can begin a whole new post on the areas if you like :D

I'd agree with the others here in that you need to do further research and be aware that middlemen such as these investment companies are only going to be showing you limited stock, with which they have affiliations with the developers. They are salesmen as such and, unlike independent buyers agents, are not going to be recommending properties unless they make a commission. Nothing wrong with this, as this is the way selling agents work, but be aware that their comments are going to be biased and totally focussed on getting you, as buyer, to commit to their product. That's all.

These companies generally only show you new stock as they can't make money from established property, unless you're paying them a finders fee, in which case they'd be advertising themselves as independent buyers agents. It may be worthwhile investigating Brisbane BA's if you feel you'd like to go down this path, and cover the entire market, not just a small restricted portion of it. Though you pay a search fee, it's often paid for itself and more with the experience and negotiating skills of a good BA. After all, BA's are out there on a regular basis, buying for people, and have the huge benefit of local knowledge on their side as well.

Also concur with the others that you need to know your recent sales prices so that you're sure you're not overpaying. Check out postcode 12mth sales from companies such as homepriceguide, residex or RPData for most up to date accurate info, or ask a REA pal for latest sales info if they subscribe to RPData. Being able to justify your offer is vital if you're to get the property for the fairest price in today's market.

From what I've heard, Brisbane certainly is in the upwards swing of the cycle but that's not always the best time to buy either. Look at what happened to Sydney buyers in 2003 who have lost selling since then- the market can become overheated and due for a correction years down the track. It's a myth that real estate never goes down, trust me :)

Keep asking questions here, read as much as you can and be as fully informed as possible before you commit to any purchase. Best of luck with it all!!

Hi Van ...

I agree with everyone re the buyers agents.

To be truly independent, they would charge you an up front fee for service and then show you properties they have no financial interest in.

Then you would sign seperate contracts for land ... builder ... and independent solicitor.

Anything else ... and they are just sales reps for a builder / developer ... and not Independent Buying Agents.

Would hate to see you featured on a Today Tonight or A Current Affair show ... as has hapenned before.

Good Luck

Hi

I am looking to buy my first IP, and am considering to go through investment property planners. So far I have talked to two of them, ARPP (Australian Residential Property Planners) and a group called Love Property which is part of a bigger company called ARK financials.

Van, can you explain exactly how you found these two companies?

Via a friend, phone book, advertising, google, etc?

Could you also explain why you selected them?

If I would have read all these responses a year ago, I would have not used ARPP for my first IP. I have already purchased my first IP(house+land) in feb 2007 in Coomera near GoldCoast thorough them. I think they are fairly honest about what they do, but at the end of the day they are there to make money. I was very amature in this IP game and still I am, I have just decided to use them for first one and play with caution.

I flew to gold cost and they took me to around 4 properties in upper coomera, ormeau and nerang. The agent explained me why those areas have potential to grow. I liked one in upper coomera. The agent was bit pushy but I refused to sign on the same day.

Getrich, can you explain too how you found ARPP and why you chose them.
Could you also provide contact details of the agent you refer to above.....

Just so some of us can get an idea of the stuff they are offering and whether they are worth using , could you tell the address of your property under construction, and the other 3 lots of land you were offered, and the prices the agent offered them to you.

Van and GetRich, I am curious that you two only joined the forum in the last few weeks, and both of you, coincidentally, are aware of ARPP. :confused:

Nevertheless, maybe you shall find this information helpful. :D

Ark Group Holdings Pty Limited

ABN History
ACN Details

No current or historical GST registrations

ARK Financial Pty Ltd

ABN 54 052 854 565
Studio 13, Shore 2/3
13 Hickson Road
Walsh Bay NSW 2000
PO Box 54
MILLERS POINT NSW 2000

CONTACT DETAILS
Ph 02 9262 3333
Fax 02 9262 5788
Email [email protected]

Website
http://www.arkfinancial.com.au

ABN History reveals Maurice Goldberg association

Entity Names
ARK FINANCIAL PTY LTD 27 Mar 2001 (current)
MAURICE GOLDBERG CONSULTING PTY LTD 07 Jun 2000 27 Mar 2001
MAURICE GOLDBERG CONSULTING PTY LIMITED 14 Apr 2000 07 Jun 2000
GST Status Active

ACN Details
Former Names
MAURICE GOLDBERG CONSULTING PTY LTD
CHARGROUP 106 PTY LTD

Google "maurice goldberg"
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q="maurice+goldberg"&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr=countryAU

Pictures of Maurice Goldberg
http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q="maurice+goldberg"&cr=countryAU&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Australian Residential Property Planners (Trading Name)

Entity Name
NATIONAL INVESTMENT PLANNING PTY LTD
http://www.propertyinvestmentplanning.com.au/
http://www.propertyinvestorplanning.com.au

Branches in:-
Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra, Adelaide, Perth, Hobart,
Gold Coast.
Telephone:
Free Call 1800 889 755 (7 days a week 8am - 8pm)
Fax:
1300 553 918
Email:
[email protected]
ABN:
31 073 078 547

ABN History

ACN Details

Neil's view
http://www.jenman.com.au/news_question.php?id=240

This link is to a 'case study' which might be interpreted as a case study approved for use by the company....
http://www.propertyinvestmentplanning.com.au/casestudy.htm
Guess who it is? Jan Somers

Personally, I don't consider it a good sign when a company establishes a website without mention of a physical address or the names of staff.

These are all the precautions taken by people who don't want to be chased by clients hard done by.....

Love Property

http://www.loveproperty.com.au/

* Jason Snaddon
* Love Property Pty Ltd
* Level 3, 13 Hickson Road
* Walsh Bay NSW 2000
* PO Box 54
* Millers Point NSW 2000
* P 02 8915 6767
* M 0425 332 600
* F 02 9262 5788
* E [email protected]

Website Copyright Notice
2006 Copyright Ark Group Holdings Pty Limited

ACN Details
ABN History

Note that Love Property is just another front for Ark Group.
And Jason works in Ark's office, or at least at the same physical address.

Google Jason Snaddon
Images of Jason

Last edited:
I found ARPP from google search. I registered for their free information pack and thats how things started. A rep. from ARPP visited me for few times and explained the investment fundamentals in real estate. I havent found this forum then otherwise I would have not gone with them after reading these many -ve responses. I wanted to enter into IP market and I wasnt having enough knowledge so I just needed initial helping hand which I think ARPP provided.

The agent(http://www.therealestatecompany.com.au) took me for ride and showed 3 properties in upper coomera (nicola way(410000$),mungana drive(421000$,428000$) and one in ormeau(409000). Then I did my own research and choose one on mungana drive but I bargained with them and got 10000$ rebate. I knew these are agents and could be a monster shark but I took as much time I could and did my research by finding about suburb, vacancy rate, data from previously sold properties in suburb/street.

I am going to inspect property in first week of march as the construction is finished now. the avg. rent on same street is 390/wk. which was 350/wk in march 2007. Also one of the similar property on mungana dr. is listed for 489000 on realestate.com.au. I recon its doing good at the moment. I agree with you guys that one have to be very careful using investment planners.

Does anyone of you have IP in upper coomera? Can you justify the price I paid for the suburb/street?

Cheers,

I found ARPP from google search. I registered for their free information pack and thats how things started. A rep. from ARPP visited me for few times and explained the investment fundamentals in real estate. I havent found this forum then otherwise I would have not gone with them after reading these many -ve responses. I wanted to enter into IP market and I wasnt having enough knowledge so I just needed initial helping hand which I think ARPP provided.

The agent(http://www.therealestatecompany.com.au) took me for ride and showed 3 properties in upper coomera (nicola way(410000$),mungana drive(421000$,428000$) and one in ormeau(409000). Then I did my own research and choose one on mungana drive but I bargained with them and got 10000$ rebate. I knew these are agents and could be a monster shark but I took as much time I could and did my research by finding about suburb, vacancy rate, data from previously sold properties in suburb/street.

I am going to inspect property in first week of march as the construction is finished now. the avg. rent on same street is 390/wk. which was 350/wk in march 2007. Also one of the similar property on mungana dr. is listed for 489000 on realestate.com.au. I recon its doing good at the moment. I agree with you guys that one have to be very careful using investment planners.

Does anyone of you have IP in upper coomera? Can you justify the price I paid for the suburb/street?

Cheers,

I also did the same thing as you back in 2005. I bought a 4x2 H&L package in upper coomera for $379K. It rented for $340pw and now Im getting $390pw.
If I had the knowledge I do now I probably wouldn't have gone down that path but in saying that I have had good CG and rent has risen nicely.
The area seems to be doing well and I think it will turn out to be a good investment but when Im ready to buy again I will go it alone and do my own research.

Hi all

Sorry I've been busy a few days so haven't been following this thread for a while.

Thanks everyone for their comments. I have now decided to use ARPP only as a research tool and will be very careful in doing my own research.

I also have gone to Love Property seminar and talked to them. Similar stuff - buying new, often off-the-plan, only difference is that they are affiliated by ARK financials, who in turn, deals with the developers. So Love Property themselves do not get commision from developers, but from ARK financials.

Cheers

Joker, getrich:
During construction of your properties, how was ARPP in keeping you informed?
Also was the time taken for construction within the timeframe that they originally promised?
BTW thanks for sharing your experiences in this forum.
Cheers

Joker, getrich:
During construction of your properties, how was ARPP in keeping you informed?
Also was the time taken for construction within the timeframe that they originally promised?
BTW thanks for sharing your experiences in this forum.
Cheers

They sent pictures of the house being constructed via email. I think I got about 3 or 4 emails during the time of construction. They said it would take approx 6 months depending on weather etc but ended up about 8 months so not too bad.

Back