investment seminars and marketing groups

W

WebBoard

Just a quick question for all,
Do you know how these investment/negative gearing seminars work?, and are they genuinely good for people to get involved in? I have herd two different stories, and was wondering what your thoughts on this were?
And if the general consensus is good would you recommend anyone?
Thankyou in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Do they work?
Do your homework, educate yourself,
and you will find that only a few can live up to their promises, you are the only person that can build wealth for yourself
so you need to take responsibility in the end and sort out truth from bull

Regards,
George Mariotti

Reply: 1.1

Hey Anonymous.

Got a recommendation for ya - don't sign up with any of 'em...simple as that. Go to the introductory evenings if you like - you'll learn very quickly the type of tactics they use. They prey on fear, on people's general lack of property knowledge, and will attempt to convince you that tax deductions will just about make you rich.

Ask them if they can show you independant valuations of properties they've sold to investors 2 years ago, compared to independant valuations of the same properties today. Ask them why they won't offer you properties in your city. I'm in Melbourne - it's widely known that Melbourne experienced the greatest growth of all the major cities. And yet, they'll tell you they will fly you to the other side of the country because that's where the REAL hot buys are.

Like I said - I recommend NONE of them. You asked.

Cheers,

Dave
:)
"Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than being able to decide" (Napoleon Bonaparte)

Reply: 2

Hi Anonymous

I have spent a fair bit of money going to the property investment seminars in the last few years and I am glad of every cent that I have spent. If I had not have done a couple of the more expensive programs I never would have achieved the property gains and the portfolio that my husband and I have today. I never would have had the confidence to do it. (Others might do it entirely on their own bat but not me).

In one year we have bought three new properties and a development. I did three days with Henry Kaye at Investmentsource which cost me $3000 and on my first property deal after that I have made $60,000. Do you think the $3000 is relevant to me any more - not on your life. We have just turned developers with a partner and are now subdividing and renovating a block of eight apartments. This strategy alone will enable us both to retire at the end of this year (I am 37 and my husband is 40).

If you ask me - the seminars are extremely valuable. But pick your mark, don't pay for any courses run by QLD operators because if they can't flog property in their own state they are obviously having problems.

Personally I recommend Peter Spann if you are planning on buying established homes and Investmentsource for buying off-the-plan (which has more advantages in Victoria than possibly in NSW).

Debbie

Reply: 2.1

Anonymous,

Dave is right, run away. Fast.
They will take your money and leave you in the lurch.
They will promise you the earth and deliver an atlas.

I am God.

Eric.

Reply: 2.1.1

You should know better George.

It's hard to find seminars that are fully independent. If they don't have properties to sell, then they are O.K. Otherwise stay clear. As Geoff Doidge says: "Only buy from a developer if they are going broke".
I personally believe that established housing in proven growth areas are the best way to go.
Sam.

Reply: 2.1.1.1

I agree with the idea in just seeing the preview nights. Best thing to do at these
nights is develop your own networks & get up to speed quickly (read books & know more than 1 strategy)& never buy from anything from these seminars. Try & know more than the
people your dealing with. Know as much & if not more than the agents. It wont take long.
Negative Gearing is a minor aspect never buy anything based on negative gearing benefits.
You'll be sadly disappointed.

Quick tip, Sell to the new graduates if you can.

Reply: 3

This is a tricky one because it is so difficult to sort out the genuine and useful seminars from the ones that just want to take your money.

My husband and I did Peter Spann's seminars last year and the information we gained has been invaluable. We have bought a couple of properties and done very well so far.

That said, don't expect to go to a seminar and have your future wealth all tied up when you walk out the door. Even if you get the best information, you still need to do your own research, evaluate you own deals and develop your own criteria. A good seminar will only point you in the right direction.

There are a lot of 'investors' floating around the property market (at least in Melbourne) who really have no clues, have done no research and who are paying ridiculous prices because they are afraid they won't have enough in retirement. Ultimately, I don't think they will be sucessful. The ones who are will be those who have educated themselves and truly understand what they're doing and why, rather than blindly applying someone elses formula.

So go to the seminars, but don't expect it to make you rich unless you are prepared to put in the hard work yourself.

Reply: 2.1.2

My post referred to negative gearing seminars/HK type seminars mainly. I can't comment on Spann's or Doidge's because I haven't yet seen them.

Bottom line - if attending/signing up for a seminar is the ONLY way you would ever have started in IP, then that's great. Even if you did pay $20-$50K over the true property value, you would have still benefited from the experience in the long run.

Lesson 1 - everyone has an agenda - full stop. Accept it as reality and move on. Do you honestly expect that these seminar presenters number one goal is to make you financially independant? Umm, no.

Lesson 1 - do your own due diligence. Save yourself some serious time and money by INVESTING your time and money into researching property values/sales in your area, speaking to RE agents, market research companies, councils, developers, etc.

Lesson 3 - in the long run, property will always be a good investment. ok, you may have been duped into buying a property over market value, even though you thought you were getting it at a good price because of some smoothies 'buying power' spiel, but you'll still get growth in the long term. You just may need to wait an extra few years to realize it.

Me personally, I'd rather learn these lessons without the experience. That's why I won't use these companies to hold my hand in buying a property. Hourses for courses.

Eric, nice to see you have an opinion. I don't know, however, if I really care for your publicly stated agreement with me - Drop your 'I am God' signature and you may start to slowly gain some respect in here.

Cheers,

Dave
:)

"Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than being able to decide" (Napoleon Bonaparte)

Back