Investor Clubs

W

WebBoard

Investor Clubs?
Date: 10/4/99
Time: 2:03:26 PM

Does anyone have a comment on the use of Investor Clubs to assist in the selection and buying process. On the face of it they look useful, but there must be a catch!

Last edited by a moderator:
John

Reply: 1

Re: Investor Clubs?
Date: 10/6/99
Time: 9:29:00 PM

Yes I am wondering who pays for the account and the seminars and meetings etc etc?

Les

Reply: 1.1

Re: Investor Clubs - my 2c worth
Date: 10/7/99
Time: 7:04:15 PM

I've been to a couple of different ones. They are usually quite open about saying that an amount ($3000 - $4000) of the purchase stays in their pocket to cover all of the expenses.

They appear to be gathering steam, and are providing "Mum and Dad" investors with a service that takes away a lot of drudgery, concern, and leg work out of buying property. And they appear to be run by other Mums and Dads, rather than appearing as a slick marketing operation - so they become a bit believable!!

They claim to be able to provide a WIN/WIN situation for both investors and builders - and they are actively lobbying the Govt. against some of the other "two-tiered marketeers". So, right at the moment, I'm on their side (BUT I haven't yet bought thru any of them, so can't comment on that aspect).

And the $3000+ cost still (so they say) provides you (the buyer) with a property CHEAPER than you could have bought it from the builder.

Go along to one or two meetings - they are free! And I've learnt some good things from each.

Les

Steve

Reply: 1.1.1

Date: 10/23/99
Time: 3:06:58 PM

Well i attended my first investor club meeting the other night. A bit of a change to the usual property seminar .. no suits to start with ! I too am looking for the catch .. This particilar one is currently only recommending Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne ( maybe ) .. any thoughts any one ?? Being a sydney sider, investing a whole state away makes me initially nervous, but if i can verify some of the claims i will overcome that fear. They believe that Brisbane within x kl/m's of the CBD will double every 7-10 years. Does the research on brisbane also say this ?? In fact they reckon the ABS says every 7.2 years ..

Rodger

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Date: 10/24/99
Time: 10:12:12 PM

Hi all,

In line with Steve's last comments, I'm also looking to buy an IP and I currently have a mob called Strategic Property Investments asking me to invest in the SE region of QLD. Coming from Sydney, I'm a bit reserved about it. Any suggestions or informative comments about this market and the stage in the property cycle this region is in??

Thanks, Rodger

Les

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

Date: 10/26/99
Time: 9:14:05 PM

G'day Rodger,

I have been approached by Strategic PI re buying a unit in Carseldine (North side of Brisbane). The only reason I didn't go ahead (approx. 12 months ago) is that I wanted to become more knowledgeable before signing up. I have since decided I don't want units, so am not going with them. I have heard good words, and no bad ones, of them - and the figures looked OK to me.

Re "SE region of Qld" - I really think you will find EVERY stage of the property cycle at one place or another in SE Qld. There seems to be a renewed interest in Brisbane, especially near the CBD as it has not reached "stratospheric heights" in dollar terms compared to Sydney.

Also, I think one of Jan's books showed migration patterns - (memory speaking here ;^) immigrants go to Sydney/Melbourne, while Australians migrate North - and population growth is such that Brisbane will be bigger than Melbourne in the next 2 decades. Also, I heard that Boeing is moving their Head Office (for Australia?) to the south side of Brisbane (actually nearer halfway to Surfers). If this is the start of a trend, I would venture to suggest that Brisbane is "good news" for the next 10/20 years.

Some areas (isn't it so everywhere?) may not do as well as others, but I personally love the Rental returns. It is COMMON to find areas where the vacancy rate is 1% and rental return is 7 - 8% (nice while mortgages are 6.5%).

See my earlier replies to others re "getting a valuation" - JUST IN CASE the property you are looking at is vastly over-priced. Ring 4 - 5 different agents in the area in which you're looking - most will be happy to

1. give you a price range of e.g. 3br brick & tile, ensuite, slu, etc. or

2. send you a glossy brochure of properties for sale (usually covering ALL of Brisbane) so you can start to "get a feel" of asking prices around the place.

Good luck, Les

Robert

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

Date: 12/13/99
Time: 9:23:40 PM

I have just 2 days ago purchased my first of "hopefully many" IP. I went through an investment company called RAINE & HORNE INVESTMENTS. I completely understand your reservations about the "Dodgy" Investment companies in the QLD, Brisbane areas. Fortunately QLD has a few laws guarding investors. NOTE These laws only cover companies that are QLD based (a NSW/VIC based company are not subject to these laws).

One of the first is that a QLD based company is only allowed to receive a certain amount of commision. (These are also set for the other states but have been known to enter a grey area when it involves buying in another state). This is the main law protecting a potential investor in QLD.

But as I mentioned I have brought my first IP through RAINE & HORNE INVESTMENTS and will buy another one in 6 months time through them. As always DO your own research, I have lived in Brisbane for 10 years and know the area I purchased. But if you are intending on buying in Brisbane take a holiday up there and have a good look around first.

The Wife

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Date: 6/27/00
Time: 4:00:20 PM

Hi there, Might i also suggest, that you have a good look around on the net, all major newspapers are online, you can go to the rental sections to see what equivalent properties are REALLY renting for, and how many there are in a particular suburb, the same for properties for sale, look at the online paper, I do think its worth going for a couple days holiday and having a look, but a quick study of the online papers also gives you a good ' feel ' for whats going .

Back