Investors in Adelaide - Where are your hot spots

Seaford V CB

I meant housing trust. Red brick and fence down the middle etc etc. None of these in Seaford. I also looked seriously at CB but had to choose between the 2, I have no issues with CB except the above and next to Christies Downs but yes the beach is probably better CB.

You're right there Adelaidean, there are no maisonettes (attached dwellings) in Seaford, but there is plenty of Housing Trust (Public Housing) properties throughout.

They're all stand alone houses on average size blocks and a bit harder to pick than Christies.

Agree 100%.....Christies Downs is not for the feint hearted.

My brother lives in Seaford Meadows and did live in Seaford Rise. Tried to encourage him to buy a big block on the beach side but they wanted a new house. I don't think much of the place personally but everyone who lives there seems to love it. He also said that in the new developments there is at least one housing trust house in each street. Unfortunately they just bought next door to one as they didn't know and the tenants are rather feral.

I would be apprehensive about buying in Christies for the quality of tenant you might attract. Can't imagine why anyone would want to rent that far out of town in an area that's not new (eg, one of the new parts of Seaford) or hasn't undergone large amounts of development (eg Port Noarlunga). For future CG it might be alright if the general populus catches on but in my mind it's not that different to investing in Hackham.

Everyone I know who moves down south is a first or second homebuyer and they generally build a place. I'd personally rather spend the same amount of money on an existing place close to town and think I'd do the same for IPs too.

My brother lives in Seaford Meadows and did live in Seaford Rise. Tried to encourage him to buy a big block on the beach side but they wanted a new house. I don't think much of the place personally but everyone who lives there seems to love it. He also said that in the new developments there is at least one housing trust house in each street. Unfortunately they just bought next door to one as they didn't know and the tenants are rather feral.

I would be apprehensive about buying in Christies for the quality of tenant you might attract. Can't imagine why anyone would want to rent that far out of town in an area that's not new (eg, one of the new parts of Seaford) or hasn't undergone large amounts of development (eg Port Noarlunga). For future CG it might be alright if the general populus catches on but in my mind it's not that different to investing in Hackham.

Everyone I know who moves down south is a first or second homebuyer and they generally build a place. I'd personally rather spend the same amount of money on an existing place close to town and think I'd do the same for IPs too.

Some people don't want to, or need to live near Adelaide CBD or metro area; they actually prefer living south.

From what I've seen recently CB is rejuvenating itself significantly and a more affluent demographic is present. The older places are being bulldozed and new upmarket dwellings are being built. This will tend to allow landlords to charge slightly higher rents & be a bit more selective of tenants (without being discriminatory of course).

The gentrification of CB is no different than what happened right through Marion Council area except that it is beachside and next to two of the better beaches in Adelaide. It is only a matter of time before the Noarlunga beachfront streetscape becomes a target for significant Council expenditure & improvement (i'm thinking along the lines of reducing through traffic, widening footpaths for walkers as has happened at Semaphore & Somerton Park, developing family lawned areas south of the surf club and so on.

Contrary to popular opinion, there is a lot of work in the adjacent light industrial areas stretching through Lonsdale & beyond. Not everyone wants or needs to work in Roxby Downs or go FIFO.....some people actually like working & living in the Christies Beach area and they are not necessarily cellar dwellers in the disposable income stakes either. Plenty of small business owners in the region.....local economy there is healthier than some might think.

Definitely Christies Downs is problematic, but it's not a significant factor in this particular discussion.

Ian.

All great info! Thanks for the feedback Ian and Norwoodman!

I've looked at the development plan previously but I must admit I always seem get lost trying to figure out which zones are which.

The info fabout CB being a cleaner beach that you can walk out onto with shops/restaurants, vs seafood needing to walk down cliffs (i'm from melb so picturing our surf coast) gives me a clearer picture of what the beach areas look like.

Might be worthwhile getting a cheap plane ticket and driving around for a day I think!

Cheers!

Yep.....way to go Dred.

Be prepared for the retro time warp shock......but you can hire a Leyland P76 or the latest HQ Kingswood from Avis at the airport.

Oh, and bring your flannelette shirt and ugg boots in case you need to tart yourself up a bit.

Ian.

I have properties in Christies Beach and Port Noarlunga. Never had a issue with vacancy's really and I made sure my purchases were in the south side of beach road in CB.
Mine are units though so houses may be different. :)

My dad owns a business on Beach Road - I'm sure the area has potential, however it is still pretty dodgy if you ask me.

I did see some council plans to develop Beach Road over the next few years - trying to turn it into something similar to Jetty Road in Glenelg.

My dad owns a business on Beach Road - I'm sure the area has potential, however it is still pretty dodgy if you ask me.

I did see some council plans to develop Beach Road over the next few years - trying to turn it into something similar to Jetty Road in Glenelg.

Fair enough comment there Nemo and it just serves as an apt reminder for people to do some good personal research. It would be interesting to hear your dad's perspective on the area being in business in the heart of this suburb.

I find a degree of irony in the Jetty Road reference, mainly because the amount of time I've spent traipsing it for various reasons, I've never actually liked it! Can't put my finger on it, but there seems to be something missing on Jetty Road.....maybe it's got too much vehicle traffic, or footpaths aren't wide enough, seems to be more el-cheapo style shops there......not sure? Perhaps if Council allowed more shop fronts to be cafes & eateries it would change the appeal. At the moment the spread of retail seems to be top heavy in Jetty Road.

The gentrification of places like CB will be progressive, and ongoing as local residential generations age and move through (hopefully some of the dodginess will follow suite).

I think people need to look at other known dodgy outposts around the country to see that it is possible to improve amenity and local culture and deal with social inconsistencies in developing suburbia.

To name a few, I've already mentioned the whole Marion Council area as having turned itself around and yes there are always going to be hard core pockets which will prove difficult to improve. In WA Thornlie, Gosnells & Aramadale are akin to CB, Elizabeth, Paralowie then you have Blacktown, Erskinville / Redfern, Matraville and a host of others in NSW, Vic & Qld.

These places are changing, and relatively quickly. State & Shire Planning is vastly more sensitive to image & perception and on the whole is structured very much to seeing our living environments improved. It's all going to take varying degrees of time, but change will happen.

One of the definites of this change is that certain land parcels will be allowed to become smaller as Councils try to reign in urban sprawl which they have to provide infrastructure for.

State Govts. are driving towards building up - not out. So I would personally feel very comfortable sitting on a few largish blocks down CB way for future subdivision.

This whole thing isn't about what the streetscapes were like, or are currently like.....it's what they will be like; and if we can have some input into that now, then there must be opportunity to see some financial reward with that.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Apologies for switching focus from Adelaide - but non NSW folks may learn a little:

Blacktown is fast becoming a CBD in itself - and younger families are migrating into the area quickly (fastest growing LGA in NSW). The perception is pretty good nowadays and will continue to gentrify into the future.

Erskinville is a great area now - much like Newtown (being so close to the CBD). My friends are starting to call it the 'trendy' part of town and actually prefer it in terms of nightlife over where I live in the East.

Redfern - much the same as Newtown/Erskinville - right next to the city and has already become great for entertainment and living.

Matraville - I still don't like this area but I am probably too pretentious. Geographically quite close to everything so it is 'getting there'. Would still prefer suburbs a little closer in like Maroubra and then Coogee but prices are generally a lot higher there.

I find a degree of irony in the Jetty Road reference, mainly because the amount of time I've spent traipsing it for various reasons, I've never actually liked it! Can't put my finger on it, but there seems to be something missing on Jetty Road.....maybe it's got too much vehicle traffic, or footpaths aren't wide enough, seems to be more el-cheapo style shops there......not sure? Perhaps if Council allowed more shop fronts to be cafes & eateries it would change the appeal. At the moment the spread of retail seems to be top heavy in Jetty Road.

Ian.

I spent the day there today reading a book -recommend 'we need to talk about Kevin' btw- on the grass, and enjoying a nice breeze :).

Infact I've been there 3 times in the last month.

There are a lot more restaurants, cafes and pub/hotels, ice cream shops, etc. there now than ever before, both on Jetty Rd. and the marina - heaps more. Retail is almost entirely on the east end of Jetty Road now.

The place is always busy, eateries doing very well during nice weather, but it's very noisy with the DH that drive/ride up and down Colley Tce and Jetty Rd. on Saturday and Sunday nights.

Avoid those times and it's a nice place to spend some time.

I think people need to look at other known dodgy outposts around the country to see that it is possible to improve amenity and local culture and deal with social inconsistencies in developing suburbia.

It's hard to imagine what a place could be when most people can only remember recent history and see what's already there. Kensington in Adelaide's east is a great example of a suburb that was once looked down upon and is now regarded as one of the more exclusive. To think that it was a run down somewhat industrial area some 30 or 40 years ago!

One of the definites of this change is that certain land parcels will be allowed to become smaller as Councils try to reign in urban sprawl which they have to provide infrastructure for.

State Govts. are driving towards building up - not out. So I would personally feel very comfortable sitting on a few largish blocks down CB way for future subdivision.

This seems to be something that different local councils are responding to with rather differing responses. There are some councils that are very open to the SA Government's 30 Year Plan for Greater Adelaide and have been supportive of smaller blocks (including the City of Onkaparinga among other outer suburban councils) and taller buildings while others have been in complete opposition to it. My thoughts are that the councils embracing this new urban form are the ones where the opportunities will be made.

Not a fan personally of the 'tunnel' effect caused by the expanse of wall in the center.

Can obviously be fixed with small trees/other wall coverings. Or even a grapevine canopy, which I've seen done quite successfully for a similar common area in Mawson Lakes.

That's just aesthetics though... Christies is an interesting area, I don't know enough about it as yet but will look into it in the future.

Back