Investors Mums

Dazz, it has never been my attention to get her wildly interested in investing. It is merely for her to read about the benefits and perhaps see those benefits excite her. If its not for her, thats perfectly fine.

Wylie, firstly.. in order for my wife to replace her income, she (we) needs a plan. If you don’t have a plan its never going to happen. Before you have a plan you need an interest in something. So wether she decides to setup a little home business selling flowers, there needs to be plan. My intention is just to give her a possible idea, which might spark something off for her, like it does for alot of people. Who’s to say that she wont enjoy the idea so much an become highly successful? My wife and I would love to work together doing something that inspires us. Secondly, my wife actually enjoys the independence of working and earning money and would only stay at home with the kids if she could create an additional income. Thirdly. Who said anything about me forcing anything upon my wife? Lastly, my wife was actually a book keeper in South Africa, but when we arrived in Sydney we both agreed that it would be better for her to take a relaxed job in the area earning a lower salary, without all the stresses which come with a higher paying job working further away from home etc. We live about 40kms from the city. She works 2kms from our house, and 3kms from my daughter family day care and 1km from my sons school. So from a convenience point of view, its perfect. Thanks for the suggestions regarding the other options for earning an income by working from home, i will suggest this to her :)

Excuse the pun, but i think maybe you guys are reading too much into my intentions :p I merely asked for a few book recommendations :p

Property Investing books aimed at getting woman excited about investing property :)

Maybe she just ain't excited about property.

Not everyone is excited about property investing. In fact, you'll find on here, there it is usually only one member of a couple that drives the investing - the other might give some support or not.

If she's anything like my hubby - I do all the research, financials, purchasing, getting loans, organising repairs etc ... he just signs the dotted line for the loan ... end of story.

As much as it would be nice to share the journey - don't force it on her if she's not interested as she will get resentful. Sounds like she has her plate overfull already so I'd let her be.

Just do what you need to do - and know that she loves you. That should be enough.

p.s. Great article by Ita Buttrose. Career women don't need cars etc in their salary package - they need nannies and housekeepers!

http://www.news.com.au/business/women-ceos-need-nannies-not-cars/story-e6frfm1i-1226213318097

My wife and I would love to work together doing something that inspires us. Secondly, my wife actually enjoys the independence of working and earning money and would only stay at home with the kids if she could create an additional income. Thirdly. Who said anything about me forcing anything upon my wife?

Excuse the pun, but i think maybe you guys are reading too much into my intentions :p I merely asked for a few book recommendations :p

Sorry if it sounded like that. I was just throwing some suggestions about. I didn't think you were forcing her to work, but could she do the same job she is doing now, but job-share?

What are your thoughts on something you could both do together that inspires you? Hubby and I are considering buying a house to renovate. We have done that dozens of times over more than 30 years (27 together) but I just don't think there is a good chance of making much in the current market.

We are looking at the options of subdividing a double block we have to either hold or sell to reduce debt, but fear is stopping us. We can renovate with our eyes shut, but have never built from scratch, and hubby has no income so getting a loan is near impossible.

So we continue to do nothing because it is the easiest :p.

I'm assuming you have discussed with your wife what she would like to do from home to give her an interest and bring in some money? What has she suggested for herself?

Lizzie, thanks for there reply. Once again, my intentions were never to force anything, so i kinda take offence when that word gets used in the context of my thread.

I simply asked for a book about proeprty which might excited her, which she has never read. I was not excited about property until i read a book, which then excited me. Who to say the same wont be for her?

At this stage i cannot say if she likes or dislikes the idea of property.

If she reads a book and theres no excitment i will NEVER force anything upon her. I will just carry on doing what i do with the current love and support i get from her :)

Just thinking on this some more, I suppose I'm curious to know what will change if she gets excited about property. That excitement will not allow her to quit her job. What are you hoping will come of it?

Are you hoping she will join you in buying to renovate and sell to make up some of her lost income.

I'm just curious about how getting her interested will change things short term?

Lizzie, thanks for there reply. Once again, my intentions were never to force anything, so i kinda take offence when that word gets used in the context of my thread.

Cheer up chap. Skin thicker than used tissue paper is needed around here.

I simply asked for a book about property which might excited her, which she has never read.

What did the bookstore owners say when you approached a few of them ??

Thanks Wylie, at this stage i have quite a few plans. Once i put these plans into action and things start happening, i am going to need assitance. So its either going to be a matter of getting my wife involved to assist me or hiring someone to assist me. The other option is to have a business partner to share responsibilities, but at this stage i prefer to keep things in the family as much a possible.

Could she do an Avon "run", not parties, but letterbox dropping and selling. My SIL does this and could make good money if she was more sensible about it (long story). What about book-keeping for a local electrician or plumber from home, paid hourly, sending out accounts and checking payments.

I imagine this stuff will not replace the 9-5 income but then that is not the aim.

Ahhh..the Avon run. I did that for 8 years, and provided child care in my home while my 3 kids were little. Figured it brought in the same income as working outside the home, after paying childcare.

I think property passion is something you get quite early.

Robbie,
We don't mean to offensive, most times :D
Just because you ask one question, doesn't mean we won't answer it in a roundabout way.

Afterall, most of us here, are the driving force in properties, and our partner supports us and wants us to be happy.

Some of the books I read initially are:
Wealth Without Risk for Canadians
The Wealthy Barber (my banker suggested this one at the time)

Thanks Kathryn.. I'm fairly new to forum and will learn to take some of the comments with a pinch of salt :)

Funny you mention child care, but my wife actually mentioned that but what put her off the idea is having 3 kids (we still planning the third) of her own PLUS having to look after other kids.

How did you cope looking after other kids and 3 of your own?!?!?! LOL.

Sorry - didn't mean to offend as I hadn't has a chance to read all the replies before dashing off for the school run.

The book that initially got me really excited was Rich Dad/Poor Dad. I don't read any books specifically aimed at women as most of what you learn is by learnt by doing.

So - I suggest - if you haven't got it already - buy her Rich Dad/Poor Dad ... or even Rich Women (I haven't read it so can't comment) as they are really a really good motivational series, which is easy to read and gets the concept across in a "eureka" manner.

In Australia there is a lot of demand for part time bookkeepers who just come in a couple of days a week - or a few days a month - or at BAS time - to do the books. These are either done at clients premises or at home using their files. Only setup required is a computer, printer/scanner/fax and a phone.

Means her work is set by the hours/times she wants to work - so can go to that presentation day, or sports event, or when the kids are sick.

She doesn't even need to find her own clients as there are a lot of organisations that do the co-ordinating for her. A local example is Uniting Bookkeepers in Newcastle - but you'll find one if your area.

http://www.unitingbookkeepers.com.au/

Thanks Kathryn.. I'm fairly new to forum and will learn to take some of the comments with a pinch of salt :)

Funny you mention child care, but my wife actually mentioned that but what put her off the idea is having 3 kids (we still planning the third) of her own PLUS having to look after other kids.

How did you cope looking after other kids and 3 of your own?!?!?! LOL.

In the beginning,I did have one in school, but 1 still in diapers.I took some before and after school aged. A couple were full time, and occassionally overnight.
Others were part time, and if their mother needed a "break".
At any given time I had 5-7 kids in the house.

I also had a large room turned into a play area.
I also paid my kids a small wage to pick up the toys when the other kids went home.

After the first couple of years, I took off the school summer break period.

Thanks Lizzie, much appreciated!

I think my wife was really put off by the idea of working in a corporate environment or having to work in the city, 40kms away.

Although she isn’t passionate about bookkeeping, maybe the flexibility you mentioned might appeal to her :)

As most people here have said, in most cases only one partner is usually interested in investing. However, the most important thing is that the non-interested partner still support the investing goals both financially (acting as a borrower) and emotionally (sticking with it). Seeing as your wife already does both I don't think you have much to worry about. Just focus on improving your own knowledge and if she is interested, she will ask to be involved as well.

I can't see the reason for wanting a "woman's" book.

Just find a REALLY interesting investment (or property) book and let her read it.
Or maybe a motivational book. If the goals appeal to her (not working, spending time with your kids instead of working etc) she'll be interested.

When I read a book I don't look to see if it was written by a woman or a man or decide whether it was written for a woman or a man. If it looks interesting I'll read it.

Hi Robbie, You sound sweet. :)

I am a woman passionate about property, and I haven't found a book written by a female author that comes close to "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" yet. So, in my humble opinion, if that doesn't get someone going, nothing will. :D

Best of luck.

well, i agree with alot of the other comments...

^ it is common for just one partner to be into investing.
In our case, it is me, for the most part. (although my hubby has just decided to get excited about it while we are in the middle of selling and buying a PPOR, organising renovating/ bank finance, dealing with health issues, planning christmas visits from rellies, selling my mums estate...he's got a great sense of timing!! NOT! :rolleyes:)
^ i havent read anything specifically related to women and investing that was particularly inspiring. rich dad was probably what also started me off down this path
^I know you are a bit sensitive about the other comments that people have made...... but given that your wife is wrking full time and also has 2 young kids, i would recommend thinking about a gift that is not related to "work". It doesnt really seem that she has a lot of time to read...

when i was in that position, the last thing i would have wanted was a book, unless it was a trashy crime novel or similaar....... i was alot more "inspired" by having time out to be refreshed, particularly time to be on my own, and not having to look after other people (boss, kids or husband!). A massage, a night away alone, movie tickets..... all of those made me far more interested in developing additional income streams!! I can just remember being so desperate to have time on my own... just a suggestion ;)

Hi Robbie, You sound sweet. :)

I am a woman passionate about property, and I haven't found a book written by a female author that comes close to "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" yet. So, in my humble opinion, if that doesn't get someone going, nothing will. :D

Best of luck.

Ouch...yet to get through reading RDPD after several failed starting attempts, funnily enough have read some of his others, including the one with Dolf De Roo's :confused:

....... i was alot more "inspired" by having time out to be refreshed, particularly time to be on my own, and not having to look after other people (boss, kids or husband!). A massage, a night away alone, movie tickets..... all of those made me far more interested in developing additional income streams!! I can just remember being so desperate to have time on my own... just a suggestion ;)

Ah yes ... make sure you put a bookmark in with the book ... one that has a full hour massage voucher printed on it :D

Back