IP Admin & Mgmt in our twilight years

Hi stumpie,

That's a good question, I think it depends on your situation.

If you still have some active income (eg. part-time work) or have a very large dividend income relative to your living expenses then I don't think this is such an issue.

If you are planning to fully LOD, then having your first 12 months worth of living expenses in cash before you start would be another option - then when dividends start coming through later that year you would just keep that to use for the next year's living expenses.

Having at least 2-3 years worth of basic living expenses on top of this as a cash reserve would seem prudent anyway.

Alternatively, you could have some commercial property in the background giving you some monthly income to help you manage your cash flow a bit better.

If have the financial capacity to own these directly with sufficient diversity then that would be ideal, if not you could look at indirect options such as unlisted commercial property trusts, private commercial property syndicates or listed commercial property trusts to try and achieve a similar thing.

Rents from residential property are another option for monthly income, though has the drawbacks already mentioned in previous posts so I'm not a great fan of this.

If you are less inclined to do this with such growth assets (ie. shares and property) then you would need to use some combination of cash/term deposits/bonds/hybrids to give you a regular monthly income with lower risk, but if the yields on these are all a bit lower you would need a lot more capital to provide you with the necessary income to do this.

The less capital you have, the more weighted/tilted I think you need to be towards growth assets to provide you with enough income to meet your living expenses.

As Dazz mentioned before, you really need to get comfortable with shares, even if you are at present only comfortable with residential property, as in the long run it is one of only a handful of really good investment options for passive income.

TPI

thanks for the response. if you don't mind sharing, what would be the top 6 shares you'd buy for yield and moderate growth?

The fence,

I bought 480 westpac shares via a challenge bank takeover mid 90's. My cost base was $5.45 in Dec 1995. The total cost was $2616. The dividend this year was $2441.90 plus those glorious franking credits of $1046. All dividends reinvested and a parcel of 100 shares inherited in 2004. Share value is floating between $33-$36 at the moment. Total shares owned over 1300.

Anyone that did that with bigger dollars would be sitting pretty.

Dividends payments with a mix of banks can work out to be quarterly income. We have unleveraged shares in our smsf. We also have personal shares.

And the property I sold in the nineties would be worth three times what I purchased it for, rents also would have tripled and the loan would be minuscule.
Still regret that sale

I also invest solely in the stockmarket now and with conservative gearing in my family trust, but only invest in individual stocks and avoid ETFs, LICs or index funds.

Any particular reason for avoiding ETFs or index funds? I used to buy individual stocks as well in the past but realised again it is a lot of work to keep following the company's results every 6 months and making sure the company is still going to keep growing at satisfactory rate in future.

Some of the best companies can eventually stop growing and even go down hill due to new competition from changes in technology etc.

I just wanted a truely passive portfolio with satisfactory returns. Hence, my change in strategy to move towards ETFs of broad based indices. Future plans are to have 50% ASX300, 25-30% S&P 500 and 20-25% Emerging markets.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Ian,
It is an interesting topic you raise, the administration of a portfolio whether it be property, shares or a mix including SMSF and trusts. Some people love doing it, others do not. For some it is about control and trust (or lack of) and others it is just a pain in the proverbial.

I think you need to separate the issues, administration and the conversion or liquidation of assets. The administration burden has an answer, as others have said, good property managers will do all the work. It also helps if you make sure your properties are good investment properties, low maintenance and attractive to tenants. There are small firms/businesses that will take on that administration/bookkeeping role for you without charging an arm and a leg if you want to go down that path now or later.

If you need to convert your assets and CGT is an issue, phase it over years after retirement so it minimises the impact. You could consider starting the process now, for assets recently acquired or that do not have much capital growth, consider transferring/selling into a trust structure or even a SMSF (if not residential IP's). You may incur some stamp duty perhaps but a small cost compared to later CGT costs perhaps.

I would also question why you wanted to sell good assets if the only reason is to save you administration time. Look at assets that are low maintenance, essentially those that fit the buy/hold strategy, defensive shares, blue chip, higher dividend, investment grade IP's, long term commercial properties, DHA properties perhaps where you are balancing return for time.

The estate planning issue is another spectrum and better people than I have made comment there.

Originally Posted by Paul@PFI View Post
A retiree with $100K invested in shares in 1995 and $100K invested in property is now probably worth $800K earning $75K pa. And no thoughts of CGT.

Love to see some anecdotal evidence of this statement please?

For what it's worth

The ASX 200 accumulation index was 7,873 in 1995, it was 39,163 in 2013

Any particular reason for avoiding ETFs or index funds? I used to buy individual stocks as well in the past but realised again it is a lot of work to keep following the company's results every 6 months and making sure the company is still going to keep growing at satisfactory rate in future.

Some of the best companies can eventually stop growing and even go down hill due to new competition from changes in technology etc.

I just wanted a truely passive portfolio with satisfactory returns. Hence, my change in strategy to move towards ETFs of broad based indices. Future plans are to have 50% ASX300, 25-30% S&P 500 and 20-25% Emerging markets.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Hi oracle,

My shares strategy is based around dividends that can be used to provide a passive income for retirement, which means the dividends need to be fairly stable and grow above inflation.

I find that with index funds/ETFs the dividends received each year can vary a lot, and the same applies to the franking % too.

LICs can offer much more stable and fully-franked dividends, but historical dividend growth is very poor (even for the old-school stalwart low-cost LICs).

By investing directly, I can pick stocks which have a much better history of dividend stability and dividend growth (and future prospects), and with full franking credits.

Doesn't mean I spend hours reading annual reports etc. though, it's all still relatively passive.

That being said, I think index funds/ETFs/LICs are still good if you prefer a completely passive approach and don't want to read any company announcements etc..

If your focus is total return rather than primarily income return, then they may also be better for you.

If you are leveraged and using borrowed money to invest however, then I think you are better off investing directly as (if you have a good system to select stocks) your income will be more predictable and allow you to manage your cashflow much better.

I still hold a small LIC portfolio in my own name though, and offset my sharemarket education expenses against the dividend income :).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks TPI.

I find that with index funds/ETFs the dividends received each year can vary a lot, and the same applies to the franking % too.

LICs can offer much more stable and fully-franked dividends, but historical dividend growth is very poor (even for the old-school stalwart low-cost LICs).

Doesn't mean I spend hours reading annual reports etc. though, it's all still relatively passive.

Yes, you are right. Below is history of dividends from Vanguard Australian Shares Index fund.

Code:
	half year	full year	Total
1999	1.46		1.65		3.11 + franking credits
2000	1.76		2.12		3.88 + franking credits
2001	1.99		2.14		4.13 + franking credits
2002	1.7587		2.3276		4.0863 + franking credits
2003	1.3754		2.6379		4.0133 + franking credits
2004	1.9471		2.8504		4.7975 + franking credits
2005	4.3192		3.8173		8.1365 + franking credits
2006	10.1475		3.832		13.9795 + franking credits
2007	6.4601		3.8916		10.3517 + franking credits
2008	6.3904		4.2214		10.6118 + franking credits
2009	2.0836		2.8776		4.9612 + franking credits
2010	2.7939		4.1391		6.933 + franking credits
2011	2.0058		4.3737		6.3795 + franking credits
2012	2.0651		4.792		6.8571 + franking credits
2013	1.996		5.1649		7.1609 + franking credits

And yes, it can be quite volatile

If your focus is total return rather than primarily income return, then they may also be better for you.

If you are leveraged and using borrowed money to invest however, then I think you are better off investing directly as (if you have a good system to select stocks) your income will be more predictable and allow you to manage your cashflow much better.

Yes, it is important to look at the total returns and not just the yield. You can always sell few shares to generate income if you are getting good CG along with dividend yield. And when using borrowed money you need to be mindful of the volatility of dividends.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Found interesting article describing various differences between ETFs and LICs

The trickiest part of the comparison is the franking credits and tax payments. Here is a simple example. A fund receives $100,000 in fully franked dividends and $100,000 in unfranked dividends. Harry the Investor owns 1% of the fund.

If the fund is an ETF everything flows through. It distributes $2,000 to Harry, made up of $1,000 in franked dividends and $1,000 in unfranked dividends.

If the fund is a LIC, the LIC needs to pay 30% tax on the unfranked dividends. It then declares whatever dividend its board deems appropriate. If we assume it chooses to pass on all of the dividends it receives, Harry is only going to receive $1,700 in cash because of the tax that had to be paid. The offset to this is that the $1,700 dividend from the LIC is fully franked.

After Harry receives credit from the Tax Office for the franking credits, he is in the same position whether the fund was an ETF or LIC. The steps are different but the final outcome is the same (with timing differences).

Full article here

Hence, it now makes perfect sense why LICs are able to smooth out their dividend payments whereas ETFs have large volatility in their dividends.

Secondly, LICs try and outperform the market while ETFs only track them as close as they can.

So if you want progressive predictable dividends and believe in fund manager's ability to outperform the market in general over long period than go with LICs. Else, invest in ETFs. Ofcourse, and the third option is to invest in direct shares yourself.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Well put oracle.

LICs can also smooth out dividend payments from retained earnings.

They are actively managed and not meant to be index trackers as such.

You still have to be selective when picking LICs, they all have different objectives, investment styles/tilts and fees.

Not all outperform their chosen index or have low fees.

You still have to be selective when picking LICs, they all have different objectives, investment styles/tilts and fees.

Not all outperform their chosen index or have low fees.

As they say in the investing world. Past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

You have to know what you are doing to select winners of the future.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Sorry, no wonder you didn't understand the way I put it :eek:. I'll rephrase: When the properties achieve the level of equity that I have in mind, I'll sell them and donate the cash. 20% growth would double my money.

If you donate the property the charity will pay inherit the cost base - no triggering of CGT to you or your estate and the charity will pay none either if they have tax exempt status.

If you donate the property the charity will pay inherit the cost base - no triggering of CGT to you or your estate and the charity will pay none either if they have tax exempt status.

That's good to know Terry but I have 2 issues, (1) the loans that are attached to the properties and (2) the charity's need for cash.

Nothing urgent though, I still have a few years before I have to decide how to do this.

That's good to know Terry but I have 2 issues, (1) the loans that are attached to the properties and (2) the charity's need for cash.

Nothing urgent though, I still have a few years before I have to decide how to do this.

These are not issues to worry about. Under the conveyancing acts the loan will go with the property - ie be payable from the property it is secured by (unless will states otherwise) and the charity will sell to get the cash.

Back