IP backing onto sports field

Hi everyone

I'm currently looking into buying my first IP.
I'm looking at buying a new to newish place as a first investment to hopefully save on initial maintenance costs and hopefully get better tenants.

I was looking at a near completed set of townhouses on the weekend that caught my eye but the only issue is that they back onto a large sports ground, couple of football fields which makes a nice big vacant space behind the property but I'm worried that this might turn off potential renters.

Any thoughts on how this might effect renters and later on potential resale value?

Thanks

Hi everyone

I'm looking at buying a new to newish place as a first investment to hopefully save on initial maintenance costs and hopefully get better tenants.

I was looking at a near completed set of townhouses on the weekend that caught my eye but the only issue is that they back onto a large sports ground, couple of football fields which makes a nice big vacant space behind the property but I'm worried that this might turn off potential renters.

Any thoughts on how this might effect renters and later on potential resale value?

Thanks

how many of them renters play footy in the area that's what I would be finding out is it a sports oriented town?

I think an open area behind the property is wonderful - esp if the townhouse looks over it. We have a large park here and I envy the homes backing onto it - they must get a feeling of endless space compared to the average tiny yard.

Depending on the suburb though it could mean a less secure yard. Might not be an issue with medium density.

I reckon it would be a plus, I'd much rather have a large grass oval as a neighbor than people. A bit of noise from football games during the day, but then neighbors potentially offer you late night parties and barking dogs. The outlook would be nice, and if tenants have teenagers, I'm betting boys would love this close by. As someone mentioned, the only thing that would concern me is security if it's a dodgy area. Maybe have a look at the fences that run along the oval and see if there's much/any grafitti. That might give you an idea if any undesireables hang out there at night.

We have a villa unit with a dog-walking park over the back fence. Initially I was put off because of the security thing too, but then the auction was a disaster and we were the only people who were interested in bidding ... long story.
Having been there since on summer evenings, before we had it rented, it was a nice spot to be - shady because of the trees in the park (but not too shady to give access to shady types:D), with a view that, as others have said, you often don't get in these places. Maybe the added activity of people walking their dogs adds a security element too, who knows?
Ours took three weeks to get tenants for (was empty when we bought it). That was a bit nerve-wracking for us, as new investors. But, now that all's well that ends well, seems fine. cheers.

I had a PPOR that looked over a cricket/footy oval so can give you first hand knowledge of living in a similar situation.

PROS
Lots of noise on weekends with games being played BUT that didnt bother me. Was kind of nice being able to watch from the kitchen window.

Lots of space for the dog to run around in (supervised of course)

No neighbours on one side.

Looking at a park instead the side of someones house.

Footy and cricket games only last a short time.

CONS
People parking outside your house, if you happen to be having friends over, they may have to park some distance away.

Hooligans and drunks and drug smokers who like to use the park at night and are usually quite noisy. (this was the worst thing about living next to a park) This can be quite frightening if you live alone.

Teenage kids who want to fight and/or talk all night about how their boyfriend doesn't love them.

Graffiti on fences. It may be on the park side of the fence but it will make your property look bad.

Having said all that, I loved living there and have regreted selling and would buy similar again as I believe as long as it wasn't in the worst part of town, the benefits far out weigh the bad points.

bespoke said it well.
other considerations:

- night lights

- golf and other balls coming into your space, and people hopping the fence to help themselves.

- people messing around late at night. though usually it is a minority of repeat offenders and if you get onto the police, a few visits clears the dregs for months at a time.

Hi everyone

Thanks
Generally sounds like a plus, or at least not a negative, but would like to look at more specifics.

I was playing in a soccer game on the Gold Coast a few years ago when the ball was kicked onto the balcony of a townhouse right behind the goals, breaking a window in the process. One of the players just climbed straight onto their balcony to retrieve the ball, the owners came out and there was a messy confrontation, can't say I would fancy staying there long as an owner or tenant.

Back