IP in Tassie

W

WebBoard

I have heard that IP's in Tassie are v.good. ie. low purchase price, good rental returns (8-12%).

Comments, thoughts

p.s the Weekend Australia - Property Section(11/12 May)mentioned that people (most from Melb) are flying to Launceston and Hobart for the weekend to snap up great buys.

cheers

noddy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi,

The obvious downfall is low capital growth. Significant wealth can be generated through capital growth, and Tassie is just about at the bottom of the list. Many investors feel that the higher yield and cheaper prices is not sufficient to make up for the poor or even negative capital growth. The risk is that you find yourself effectively standing still.

Gail

Reply: 1.1

Nothing wrong with ip's in tassie as long as you are aware that it is a cashflow only investment. Or buy a few cheapies in Tassie and one high growth property on the mainland.
Its you choice, cashflow or capital growth. My choice is cashflow because I hate 9-5.

Reply: 1.1.1

Id' have to generally agree. I live in Hobart and keep my finger on the (thready) pulse of the market here. Capital growth does occur but slowly and somewhat spasmodically. There has been a considerable jump in last 12 months (about 10-15%). Prices and yields are good, so good cashflow. Like Darren I have a few cashflow properties in Hobart but look to mainland for significant CG.

Cheers,

Matthew

Back