IPhone 4G... Iphone Plans Are Getting Cheaper!!

Hi

For the last few years I said I would never get an iphone cos I didnt want to pay a crazy monthly fee, so I stuck with my $20 cheapie. My friends were all getting one and I kept resisting!

I've just learnt that the iphone plans are getting cheaper. I've decided I'm gonna get one. I've wanted one for a while but couldn't justify the expense.

Anyway I'm waiting for the release of the new 4 G iphone and will see what kind of plans are available for the old 3G S. I'm thinking the 3 Gs plans will be cheaper once the 4G is out. I'm quite happy to have the older model.

What monthly plans are you on?

Apparantly there is an Apple conference today and the release date for the iphone 4 G in Australia will be announced.

I have the worst reception with Optus 3g on my Iphone. I know this has nothing to do with your post but thought I would share none the less.

This is the kind of stuff I want to hear, thanks

I have heard that you have to be careful with which provider you go with. Cos some are not as good as others.

Telstra might be more expensive but you never have problems with connection/reception. I'm thinking it'd be worthwhile to go with Telstra even though your paying more.

I'm with Three on their $79 cap, I believe my iPhone (32gb 3GS) is an extra $10 a month. Or it was when I signed up approx. a year ago.

Not really happy with Three as they wouldn't suspend my contract while I'm deployed on operations, all the other carriers are happy to.. but that's fairly irrelevant to you. :D

The phone is great and if you can find a plan within your budget I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Just get a screen protector and slip on case for it to protect it. Nothing sader than a dented up new toy on a 24 month plan.

Anyone with a non-telstra iphone will have poor coverage. Iphones are designed to use the 850mhz band whereas other Australian carriers use 900mhz. However, in metropolitan areas you probably wouldn't notice much difference. This is because the iphone was initially designed for the AT&T carrier in the US and thats the band they use.

I have one of these on a $79 cap with Telstra with no handset repayment and was nothing up front, but I negotiated well ;)

Just asked a colleague who says 4g version will likely be the same.

Last edited:
I'm with Three on their $79 cap, I believe my iPhone (32gb 3GS) is an extra $10 a month. Or it was when I signed up approx. a year ago.

Not really happy with Three as they wouldn't suspend my contract while I'm deployed on operations, all the other carriers are happy to.. but that's fairly irrelevant to you. :D

The phone is great and if you can find a plan within your budget I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Just get a screen protector and slip on case for it to protect it. Nothing sader than a dented up new toy on a 24 month plan.

I hear you there! Got 2 new iPhones about 4 months ago (one for me and one for the wife) and at the time was asked if I wanted insurance. Me, being a tightwad, said no, lo and behold we have both since dropped our phones and smashed the screens...$350 a pop to get fixed:eek:

We are on $79 capped plan with Optus. Also with Optus, if you want to use your iPhone as a modem for internet tethering, you have to pay another $10 per month for them to enable it...rip off...:mad:from what I have been told, the other providers let you do it for free.

Boods

It is a new network type (other countries have it, as does vivid-wireless in perth), but iphone are calling their next model that just to confuse people :p

I've had my iPhone 3G 8GB for about 6 weeks. I'm with Optus on a $59 cap - which gives me $400 worth of calls per month, unlimited SMS and 1GB download limit.

I've had problems with my phone since day 2 or day 3. It switches itself off 3-5 times per day and requires a hard reset :(

Apple have been excellent about it and have offered to replace my phone - I've got an appointment with a technician on Wednesday to try and resolve my issue face to face before we go down that path.

Thumbs up for service - face to face techo's (hope we can repeat my issue) - thumbs down that the Apple store isn't close by and that when I walked in last week they couldn't see me - I needed to prebook an appointment :(

Cheers
Buddybee

Hi Redwing

The wife and I just got a HTC Desire each. So far we are very happy with it. Very much the same as an IPhone. We looked at the IPhones and decided to go with the htc because everyone has an IPhone and we have never been ones to follow the herd...:cool:

We went with telstra on a $49 cap which includes $400 worth of calls p/m free to other telstra phones and 200mb data p/m oh and I think $12p/m for the handset.

Hope this helps

Regrow

Thanks Regrow,

Was in the TELSTRA shop browsing the other day and saw the HTC Desire

The battery on the current Motorolla Razr is lasting less and less time nowadays so I've been window shopping

I resisted the urge to buy an iPhone for a while, but ended up going on a 450p/m cap with Virgin mobile in March.

Have a 16GB Apple iPhone.

Have to say though, Virgin have veen terrible and I will never recommend them to anyone.

Break up is

$15 p/m for the phone

$35 p/m for the phone plan.

24 month plan.

Cheers

Mick

I just updated my phone and Optus contract last week.
Considered seriously getting a Desire as it came up the best in all the research I did.
However, it's battery life is as bad as the iphone and blackberries.....

I went with a Nokia similar to my last.....a Navigator 6710 with free voice navigation. I am not comfortable yet doing a lot of internet stuff with a small phone screen so will wait another 18 mths for PDA battery tech and internet usability to improve.

Hi Mick

Its rebadged Optus product.

ta
rolf

Oh yes, I know this.

The Virgin customer service has been disgusting though.

It took a threatening letter and 2 trips to my solicitor just to get a phone connected correctly after they set it up incorrectly in someone elses name and attempted to blame me for it and force me to purchase a new sim card from a retailer so they can have another go at activating it correctly at my cost.

All is good now, however, once again, Virgin will not be added to my Xmas card list this year :p

Cheers

Mick

Back