iPhone 5 is out, and Woz in in Brisbane

Probably none. People who use iPhones generally aren't quite that tech savvy. :p

Wash your mouth out.

I've got one being delivered on Monday. I wasn't planning on rushing out to get one but apparently my plan is up in a month and I got a sales call asking if I wanted a new phone in return for staying with Optus for a couple more years.

Cheers

Jamie

Probably none. People who use iPhones generally aren't quite that tech savvy. :p

I agree, to some extent. A lot of "tech savvy" people go for Andriod because it's open, un-evil, etc.

I wouldn't recognise Woz. I'd just prolly think "another loud yank". For the record, this reflects more upon me than Woz. :)

I hear the iPhone 5 finally has a 4" screen, so they've caught up in size to the original Samsung Galaxy (released in 2010)... :D

U_WnaH3jJUGbSdadZ3lPdA2.jpg

Anyone read about the Apple Maps fiasco? Hahaha, man what a joke. Apple is quickly becoming the new Microsoft.

Note: I own neither an iPhone nor an Android phone. I have a phone that makes phone calls.

I have an android phone: it crashes, the apps are incredibly inconsistent in interface -- even those from Google are inconsistent -- and it's just not as nice. But the killer is this: I walk into JB Hi Fi and there is a wall of accessories for iPhone. A huge choice. None for what I have, an LG Optimus which was a top phone when it came out.

Oh, and it's stuck with a 3 year old OS, Android 2.3.4, with no way of updating unless I hack it.

vaughn, like I said, I wouldn't know about any of that stuff. I have a phone I bought for $20 at Woolies and buy $30 credit every six months.

My plan will be up next month, I'll upgrade to an iPhone 5 then.

As an Apple 'Greybeard', I'd probably recognize The Woz.

*posted from my iPhone 4 :)

Wash your mouth out.

I've got one being delivered on Monday. I wasn't planning on rushing out to get one but apparently my plan is up in a month and I got a sales call asking if I wanted a new phone in return for staying with Optus for a couple more years.

Cheers

Jamie

Be honest Jamie, would you recognise Steve Wozniak in a crowd?

I just read that Woz (Steve Wozniak) is in Chermside Brisbane, and was lined up outside the Apple Store there waiting to be among the first to buy an iPhone 5.

I wonder how many people in the queue recognised him?

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/20/wo...-for-one-of-the-first-iphone-5s-in-australia/
He obviously used an iPhone4- or an Android- to find the shop. Apparently Apple Mpas couldn't find the Apple shop in Sydney.

While I have an iPhone, and may well upgrade in the next release, it's more because I'm used to it, have bought a lot of apps over a period of time, and don't have the time or inclination to control it (I regard myself as reasonable tech savvy).

He obviously used an iPhone4- or an Android- to find the shop. Apparently Apple Mpas couldn't find the Apple shop in Sydney.

Apple doesn't always get things right first go, but they do get it right second time. Their right is usually better than the others, too.

Remember, that the maps is changing from Google to whatever the open source thingy is: from a mature technology to first release. Expect problems, and expect it to (eventually) be a lot better.

I'm waiting a while before I update my iPad 2 to iOS 6.

Apple doesn't always get things right first go, but they do get it right second time. Their right is usually better than the others, too.

Remember, that the maps is changing from Google to whatever the open source thingy is: from a mature technology to first release. Expect problems, and expect it to (eventually) be a lot better.

vaughan, the 'it'll be better next time' is no excuse. They put a product out there that is clearly untested and an absolute disaster. It's nothing but a farce.

From this article:

Apple Maps is a joke

Roads, businesses and even entire towns like Goulburn, Kiama, Cairns and Lithgow are in the wrong place and/or have virtually no detail filled out. Dozens of readers told Fairfax of skewed directions provided by the app, including dangerous advice to drive off overpasses and on to busy highways, or through pedestrian-only malls.

and

Globally, on Apple Maps an entire city is in the ocean, a farm has been labelled as an airport, highways end in the middle of nowhere and a hospital now covers the entire centre of British town Stratford-upon-Avon, Shakespeare's birthplace.

Those aren't 'problems' that is just ridiculous. I fully agree that most software has some problems when it is released, but this goes way beyond that. It's just another example of Apple attempting to force people who purchase their products to use only the applications that Apple dictates to them. This is like going to buy a new car and finding out after you've purchased it, that it has no steering wheel. Then when you complain about it, people say 'Oh don't worry, all cars have problems, just wait until they upgrade it.'

As someone that used Apple computers up until 10 years ago (the first computer we had was a Macintosh Plus), Apple has gone from being a genuinely innovative company and become a bloated mess more interested in trying to stop competitors from releasing products than focusing on staying on top as a premier tech company. Apple has, sadly, become the Microsoft of the new century.

vaughan, the 'it'll be better next time' is no excuse. They put a product out there that is clearly untested and an absolute disaster. It's nothing but a farce.

It was tested, but they had to ship anyway. After all, Maps is only a small part of iOS.

Remember how unfinished OS X 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 were? Remember how unfinished the first OS for iPhone was -- not even copy and paste?

I understand what you are saying, but it's happened before and it'll happen again. Apple ships.

The tech blogs have been ablaze for a couple of days about Apple advertising for map developers: Apple are already hiring new expertise.

The good news is that once a fix is done the iPhone and iPad customers will have it INSTANTLY and for FREE. Unlike devices using Android.

As someone that used Apple computers up until 10 years ago (the first computer we had was a Macintosh Plus), Apple has gone from being a genuinely innovative company and become a bloated mess more interested in trying to stop competitors from releasing products than focusing on staying on top as a premier tech company. Apple has, sadly, become the Microsoft of the new century.

Interesting you say that... Apple's solid determination to develop and control both its own software AND hardware is now it's greatest commercial advantage. They control the entire user end-to-end experience of their devices from initial purchase of the phone, including the retail space it is purchased in, to the interface of the operating system and the on-line app and music store while using the device (and make money every step of the way).

Macs, by the way, account for a small and decreasing fraction of Apple's revenues now. More Macs are being sold and Mac's slice of the market is increasing, but Apple is making so much more money from iPhone, iPad and iTunes.

In order to compete with Apple's end-to-end quality, Microsoft has been forced to release their own tablet hardware, the Surface tablet. The other tablet hardware manufacturers are very unhappy, but Microsoft has had no choice because there has been no table innovation worth mentioning. Google bought the Motorola Mobile division and are developing their own hardware for the same reason. Any company that only provides a part of the use-experience chain -- like HP, Nokia, Sony, Acer or Microsoft -- are at a huge disadvantage compared to Apple and have a decade of work or more to catch up, because it's not just the operating system, it's the entire application and music ecosystem that accompanies it. For instance, Nokia recently released their new phone (and lied about the video camera performance) which runs Windows 8 -- who wants an Win8 phone, there are no apps. If they had released it as an Android phone, then it's competing with every other Android phone particularly Samsung. And if they released their own OS? RIM, the maker of Blackberry, was THE smart phone leader but is now dead in the water. They have their own OS.

Note that Microsoft's history in releasing their own hardware has not been good apart from the Xbox. Remember the Zune? Did you know Microsoft also released a mobile phone: the KIN. It was released in May 2010 in the US and was withdrawn from sale after just 6 weeks on the market. HP had a similar success with their TouchPad in 2011. It's also worth reading up about HP's MUSE marketing campaign from 2010, it's quite embarrassing.

Despite what you think, Apple have done it right. Their iPhone and iPad business now makes more profit than the WHOLE of Microsoft. Read that again, slowly: Apple makes more profit from iPhones and iPads than Microsoft's total operation. Remember that the iPhone was released in 2007, just 5 years ago.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/04/28/apple-microsoft-profit/
http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/21/apple-is-a-100-billion-company/

By the time the iPhone 5 gets out to the masses it'll be better, and in a couple of weeks it'll be ok.

Last edited:
Back