Iphone or Blackberry: your advice please

All good stuff people.

Yes RIM (BB makers) is not looking good but probably a restructure is not a bad thing. Still have 90M subscribers and for large business, the only way to control usage.

We receive big request emails but send short replys.

So far wife Iphone is going well but battery life is about 1 day. Thats ok but lower than BB.

Peter

I think I read today that RIM have something like a Billion worth or stock that isn't selling. Don't quote me on that.

Hi all

Well, we hedged our bets and got an Iphone for wife to test. So far she loves it and yes, it is a whole different device when compared with Blackberry. She had and old Nokia standard phone.

However....our main staff use is calls and emails. We get 20 to 100 emails a day and we have been told, unlike BB the Iphone:
  • it cannot handle a lot of emails without draining power abnormally.
  • you cannot delete on both phone and laptop with Iphone from the phone. On BB if you delete on the phone it never gets downloaded to your inbox on the PC.
and

She cannot delete her emails at all, which is common issues with Iphones.

Any comments for the Phone users out there?

Thanks
Peter 14.7

Hey peter,
If you are looking to have all of your devices synced, the best bet is to go get yourself Google Aps. we have been using it for about 6 months now and it is brilliant. You can delete emails from your iPhone, and it will automatically update every device to show emails deleted/read or whatever.
Boods

I'm all for google apps, too. I mentioned it on the first page. I think it'd be a pretty big deal to migrate existing domains and email servers to it, though.

Have both (personal and work).

iPhone for functionality. Blackberry to look professional in a meeting.

If latter was not important, iPhone > BB.

RIMM is in SERIOUS trouble and considering they are th only ones providing the network for the crackberry, i think you made a smart move.

If what you are after is just the ability to make email, sync, messaging etc (standard smartphone feature)

I strongly recommend going the android route, particularly Samsung Galaxy s2.

Reason being:

Powerful hardware, cheap (35 cap contract for virgin, 39 for optus). Most of the apps that are really useful are cross platform (works with iphone or android). So I do not see the need to limit yourself to iphone, if cost is your concern.

If you have an IT administrator, they will know how to work android.

If not, go to xda, it is like somersoft, only about smartphones.

Update ( from my new mac book air)

Yes, we went Mac if has been a great decision.

Firstly, yes it seems Android is more advanced but what matters to me is connectivity and ease of use across all staff and the Phone and Mac so far is perfect for that. No good having one tech head happy and four builders unable to do anything.

So far we have reduced our phone costs $120 a month and about to save another $80 month. Yet we have more free stuff with WI FI ( my email and wit fi problem solved).

Also the fact iPhones are everywhere means when a staff member did crash his phone we could google the fault and answer appeared.

As the nest step....

I retired by 5 year old Thinkpad and now have a Mac Air 13 and it has many benefits. Fast startup is great as I fly a lot and you don't have to wait to start and finish in between flights in the lounge etc.. WIF FI is automatic. Personal Hotspot etc..

We are looking at moving all PC over as well. We signed up for Joint Venture which is one on one training in store and premium tech support. So far, so very good. They ported my laptop over in 24hrs, all working. On WI FI issue they could not fix it so they gave me a new phone being within 2 week Lemon Period. Talk about real customer service!

So in closing whilst I seem a Mac iPhone devotee well I am. It syncs better than BB in the cloud and faster. For business you don't care if is costs more if it works. I spent two days setting it up. That is nothing. Staff love em. As for App costs they know they have to meet that.

Thanks to all for the advice. Peter 14.7

Back