Iphone or Blackberry: your advice please

I am a big Apple fan BUT don't think they are the answer for a lot of businesses, especially not construction.

My rationale:
1. They do NOT handle being dropped very well at all.
2. Smart phones encourage non-business use:
2a. this means non productive downtime
2b. this means data throughput trends upwards
3. Touch screen is not ideal in many outdoor work environments
4. iPhone are a fair premium over even other smart phones
5. Apple products synch well with Apple products.... most businesses not set up that way as they tend to be PC/Microsoft based
6. Apps... you will probably end up needing a few. (Android has many free or low cost alternatives, many of which aren't available for iPhone)

If smart phones are preferred because internet functionality will enhance productivity, I would be looking at the myriad of other options that are android based for business use.

All that said, my whole personal life is Apple.... iMac, Macbook Pro, Macbook, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, iPod Nano.... you get the picture. But my work life is entirely, PC, Microsoft & NO smart phones (only Blackberries etc..). I don't think having an iPhone in my work environment would be a good idea without some significant IT changes across the board.

My 2 cents....

Recently I got the Galaxy Note. Love it love it love it :)
It is brilliant for emails. Web browsing also much easier. No need to rotate the phone or move the page all the time. There is no need for iPad or similar any more. Seriously, after using it for a week, any other phones seems a bit odd to use :)

I had the Galaxy S and my wife had the iPhone. My 3 year old preferred the iPhone even though both has very similar games and puzzles. Now she prefers the Galaxy Note.

If its Blackberry vs iPhone then its really not even a contest imho, Apple is so far ahead in functionality its unreal. I've had both and darwinism in the phone industry only points one way.

Also with Apples Facetime as well as the obvious advantages of free real time face to face chatting with family, you can also keep a closer eye on your employees. Its much harder pulling a sickie when you have to call the boss face to face ;)

Anyway all this Apple and Blackberry talk is making me crave pie :D

Recently I got the Galaxy Note. Love it love it love it :)
It is brilliant for emails. Web browsing also much easier. No need to rotate the phone or move the page all the time. There is no need for iPad or similar any more. Seriously, after using it for a week, any other phones seems a bit odd to use :)

I had the Galaxy S and my wife had the iPhone. My 3 year old preferred the iPhone even though both has very similar games and puzzles. Now she prefers the Galaxy Note.

The Galaxy Note looks good, a mix between a big smartphone and a small tablet; not very inconspicious though

Its like stepping back to the PDA Phone (which I liked apart from the 'tinny' audio).

I am a big Apple fan BUT don't think they are the answer for a lot of businesses, especially not construction.

My rationale:
1. They do NOT handle being dropped very well at all.
2. Smart phones encourage non-business use:
2a. this means non productive downtime
2b. this means data throughput trends upwards
3. Touch screen is not ideal in many outdoor work environments
4. iPhone are a fair premium over even other smart phones
5. Apple products synch well with Apple products.... most businesses not set up that way as they tend to be PC/Microsoft based
6. Apps... you will probably end up needing a few. (Android has many free or low cost alternatives, many of which aren't available for iPhone)

If smart phones are preferred because internet functionality will enhance productivity, I would be looking at the myriad of other options that are android based for business use.

All that said, my whole personal life is Apple.... iMac, Macbook Pro, Macbook, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, iPod Nano.... you get the picture. But my work life is entirely, PC, Microsoft & NO smart phones (only Blackberries etc..). I don't think having an iPhone in my work environment would be a good idea without some significant IT changes across the board.

My 2 cents....

Firstly, thanks to all. SS is so good for this tech stuff, of and property.:D

The above post highlights some issues with Iphones that are pertinent.

Youngetr staff love em and they can use thier ( read my) data. And whilst thier contract has a payback clause m more thanonce I had over spends in the $100's per month. One guy called Overseas and thought that was in the plan.

Each time we got $$ back on leaving as they usually cannot afford to pay us back on in one go and both left but with Fair Work Aust rules, it is scary. We probably would have to pay them and then trust for them to pay us back. Right!:rolleyes: But other staff are never an issue so since it happened on BB it is moot point.

So my next question since Iphone seems to be the preferred recommendation.
  1. Are they easy to use and set up,
  2. Are emails prompt and easy to read and reply
  3. What is support like
  4. If you get a good case, can they be dropped
  5. In giving Iphones for business am I opening risking 100 Itunes to be downloaded and billed to me.
  6. What is staff bought the phone themselves, they break they own it.

I think my main concern is if:

we go Iphone will we lose the BB advantages (does emails really well, straightforward, etc..) and get a toy that staff break , and bludge with play angry birds.

OR

we go Iphone are we giving staff a useful personal phone and great work phone that with Apps will prove to be more useful, and hence more effective. Easier to use and easier to integrate with MC Outlook. Happy staff.

And lastly:

To all the Iphone users, would you, if YOU had a business, provide Iphones to staff when the main role is call each other and email each other. All others needs/use is 99% personal. They dont need to surf for work, they have PC's

regards, Peter 14.7

I can't speak for the other things like the email system on the iphone is very good. The search function is a little limited I think but overall it is fantastic and easy to set up.

Personally in a business I would be wary of giving my employees all expensive smart phones but if they require emails all day then I would recommend it.

As for iTunes - each iphone requires their own Apple ID - so you can ask the employee to create their own ID so they are solely responsible for any charges on that account.

I can't speak for the other things like the email system on the iphone is very good. The search function is a little limited I think but overall it is fantastic and easy to set up.

Personally in a business I would be wary of giving my employees all expensive smart phones but if they require emails all day then I would recommend it.

As for iTunes - each iphone requires their own Apple ID - so you can ask the employee to create their own ID so they are solely responsible for any charges on that account.

Thanks, yes they need mobile emails. Peter

If its Blackberry vs iPhone then its really not even a contest imho, Apple is so far ahead in functionality its unreal. I've had both and darwinism in the phone industry only points one way.

Also with Apples Facetime as well as the obvious advantages of free real time face to face chatting with family, you can also keep a closer eye on your employees. Its much harder pulling a sickie when you have to call the boss face to face ;)

Anyway all this Apple and Blackberry talk is making me crave pie :D

Agree with this. BB and iPhone are chalk and cheese. I have a work-supplied BB. As work provide the infrastructure (BES) I can't comment on that part, but I can summarise the pros and cons.

Cons:
  • App store is pretty ordinary
  • Mine has a fairly poor quality camera
  • UI is not particularly intuitive

Pros:
  • Having a tactile keyboard (do the new ones have this?) make it absolutely for writing long email responses
  • Shortcuts (like <space> = pagedown) make it very easy to operate with one hand
  • Have never had an issue with phone functionality
  • Battery life is pretty good (depending on usage). I often get 48-60 hours, but that might drop to 24hrs if intensive emailing
  • Can easily read MS docs (Excel, Word, PPT) and PDFs (probably not exclusively BB)

But assuming you want to use a touch-screen smartphone, the question, IMO, should really be iPhone or Android, and if Android, then you have a plethora of models to compare.

I'm going to be getting a smartphone for my wife shortly (obviously a different level of user) so will be comparing these for myself shortly. I have heard great things about the HTC and the Samsungs, so will be checking these out before an iPhone.

I have an iphone (but wouldn't get one again) and if you have a gmail based account it works very well. Instant emails and easy to use. Not sure how it would work if you have a outlook based email (which is outdated now).

Oh and by the way even with a case the iPhone is susceptible to breakage/damage. Sometimes I miss the good old Nokias that were as sturdy as a rock.

Not sure how it would work if you have a outlook based email (which is outdated now).

It works fine. I have my work calendar, which updates automatically to my phone, and I have all my Outlook mail folders on my phone as well. I can't fault it, but I'm not all that tech savvy.

Oh and by the way even with a case the iPhone is susceptible to breakage/damage. Sometimes I miss the good old Nokias that were as sturdy as a rock.

falls-to-the-floor-break-the-screen-floor-iphone-n.jpg

Back