iPOD - Is this possible??

Interesting question for the techno gadget types on the forum.

I cannot sleep at night without a fan noise so I turn my fan on every night and have a lovely nights sleep. (it is a box type fan)

But that is a pain when we go travelling as we have to carry it with us. In summer I can buy one cheaply at the destination but winter times I can't.

I bought a CD called Baby White Noise which is the sound of a fan (60 mins) and what I have done is put it onto my iPOD and bought a small iPOD docking station with pretty good speakers built in, to put beside my bed and play it through that.

All good so far. On the iPOD I put it on the repeat function and thought that would work ok. Problem is that at the end of the hour the sound winds down, stops for about 2-3 seconds and then the hour repeats.

Well that wind down and small silence is just enough to wake me up on the hour every hour.

So my question is do you think it would be possible to turn the one hours sounds into 10 hours (yeah yeah sometimes I have a loonng sleep) so there are no interruptions?

I will if I have to take it to someone to do for me, but I guess I was just curious if you guys thought this scenario was actually doable.

I don't know how to answer your query but I did want to say, you've made me smile. :)....thanks for sharing, it's a cute story.

Hi Tizzy,

Yeah pretty cute heh!! It can be challenging when going places. Went to US last year and had to go to the Target shop over there and buy one for the room. I am sure the cleaning staff wonder what the hell is going on when they clean the room. Especially as it was Jan in NY at the time!!

But got to tell you, it does mean a lovely sleep because you don't hear every little outside noise. It is hell if we have a blackout, I really just don't get any sleep. Yes I know this is a vice just like any other and yes I am hooked!!

Strannik. If I even knew how to cut a couple of seconds off the track wouldn't I still be left with a small gap while the iPOD repeated it again??:confused:

Hi Plusnq, I looked up your link and found this:

For rock and pop music, the iPod (and iTunes; all my explanations here apply to both) is easy to use: insert a CD in your computer, rip the music, then create a playlist (or just listen to your songs in random order). But for classical music, and to a lesser extent jazz, you need a different approach. There are constraints in most classical music that keep you from ripping your CDs in the same way.In operas, for example, there are often no pauses between recitatives and arias, or between orchestral movements and arias. If you rip your music as individual tracks, you’ll get that pause. You can eliminate it in iTunes, if you go to the Effects preferences and set Crossfade Playback to 0 seconds. But the iPod can’t play tracks without an audible pause. Ideally, when ripping operas, you should convert each disc into a single track. To do this, insert a CD into your computer, then select all the tracks on that CD and select Advanced > Join CD Tracks. This gives you a single track of the entire disc, and you won’t have any inopportune pauses.

Note the bit I changed to red. I have a iPOD Nano (pink) 4gb and I can't see the effects function to do this so I don't think my iPOD has this function and I don't think it would be the result I wanted anyway.

Now note the bit I have changed to blue. I thought this would be a great solution, but this is for people who have a CD with say 10 tracks on it abd they want to join all the songs into one big song, however my Fan Noise CD is only 1 track of one hour long.

I tried importing it a few times and renaming it each time, but I have discovered I cannot use Advanced > Join CD Tracks once it is on iTunes, (it is greyed out), i.e. you have to use this function at the time of importing.

So I am back to square one but it is good to know how to join tracks in case I ever want to but I will keep trying because I am sure there has to be a solution!:)

There are programs to join mp3's together, just google "joining mp3 files" or try http://www.mymusictools.com/download/join-mp3-files/

Download one of the free ones and join the one hour fan file to itself (copy/paste/rename if it doesn't like joining the same file name to itself) to make 2 hours and join the two hour file to itself and so on.

make sure the fan noise goes all the way to the start/end of the track or you will have the same problem, if it doesn't most of the joining aps also have splitting functionality.

Hope that helps

geez, how much would that have been in electricity with a fan going all night:eek:

Well a standard sized desk fan uses around 50W at full speed. This equates to 50Whr per hour *10hours = 500Whr = 0.5kWhr

With electricity costing circa 13c/kWhr retail then a nightly running cost would be in the order of 7c at full speed. Run it at slow speed and you would only use around 3c per night.

I'll take any opportunity to point out just how cheap electricity is in Australia... ;)

You did ask! :p

Air conditioning on the other hand... :eek:

Wow that is pretty cheap!

Remembering a few years ago I had a blow fan/heater on all night every night through winter. Big mistake.:(

Wow that is pretty cheap!

Remembering a few years ago I had a blow fan/heater on all night every night through winter. Big mistake.:(

Yes - that would be the heating element! Resistive electrical heating would probably be the most inefficient way to heat a house available...

Apologies for the thread diversion...

you guys are just bloody awesome, as i tell my hubby, have a problem?? jump on somersoft and you will find your cyber friends come running to the rescue.:):):)

Thanks HiEquity glad to hear my fan addiction is only 3c per night, i must admit i never really wanted to work it out:eek:

stumunro - if i knew how to send you a one hour song from a cd or itunes i will do it in a wink but if you cut the end off aren't you still going to be in the same situation of having it stop then a slight pause then it reapeats again??

Monty - I had a look at this but I don't think the sound will be loud enough for me. I have my box fan on number 3 and I lean it against the chair in my room to make it sound even louder. Yes tragic I know but this is what I am reduced to.

Wouldn't it be great to sort this out as those box fans do take up a lot of space in our luggage:eek:

Petal & stumunro

if you PM me I can help. I have a webserver that I have a simple script that will allow petal to upload the file and stumunro will be able to
download the file via the webserver. Then once the work has been done
swap the process and petal will be able to download the file.

Once done I will then delete the file off of the server.

stumunro - if i knew how to send you a one hour song from a cd or itunes i will do it in a wink but if you cut the end off aren't you still going to be in the same situation of having it stop then a slight pause then it reapeats again??

I can make it into an 10 hour file if you want..........

if you can handle that size file :)

I have set a max file size in the script so let me know how big it will be.
There is 35Gig free on the server.

But remember it has to be up/downloaded twice, currently there is 1gig allocated.

I have a similar problem, because I have tinnitus I use a homemedics sound machine to block out the noise of my ears ringing. You can choose from themes like rainforest, ocean etc. I cant live without it now. It can be set to timer or to run until you turn it off.

I have PM'd Monty but just want to thank him for going the extra mile to assist with this but the other question I posed to Monty is:

ITake the CD to someplace (when I find the correct place) and ask them to turn my one hour of fan noise into 10 hours of uniterrupted fan noise and put it on a USB flash drive of some sort.

I could then buy some sound maker that I can plug the flash drive into and viola!!

Also I will do some checking up on this Homemedics Sound Machine which sounds good. Perhaps they have a sound I would like!!

I have set a max file size in the script so let me know how big it will be.
There is 35Gig free on the server.

But remember it has to be up/downloaded twice, currently there is 1gig allocated.

The file is only112mb Monty so I don't know why it didn't want to upload!!

Back