IPs and travelling

I guess there are some choices to be made.

How badly do you want to go? What are you giving up by going? What if you delayed the trip? Can you afford to do both?

It's about decisions and priorities, but with some clever thinking and giving up other (less important) things, maybe you can do both.

Well if I save hard this year, take on extra work, also have enough equity in my house then I should be able to buy an IP and rent it out. Then go for 1 month (whole year's annual leave) in July-August or August-September this year to Russia.

I cant afford to wait anymore... its been too long, one friend already died :( I want to see them. Ive delayed this long enough, its either now or never for me.
One month aint that long so IMO I should squeeze through.

Besides, the main costs of the trip will be the airfare ($2500-$4000 AUD return) and the food. I think the accomodation should be fine as Ill most likely stay with my friends or at my dads friends place for free or very cheap.

I'm planning an around the world trip for 2011. Think I've just added another destination to the list. Thanks for the tip.

Vladivostok is the end of the line for the Trans Siberian Railway....so if you are are train spotter, or one that likes train journeys, it would be a good journey to take.

If you don't have the native tongue, I have only heard one side of the story and the locals don't really warm to the english spoken word. I am sure Invest and a few other might put this right though.

I also agree with Samantha. There are a large number of places to see before your time runs out. It is funny....I never really wanted to go and do any travelling a few years ago, but once you get the 'bug', you never lose it.

Cheers,

F

Vladivostok is the end of the line for the Trans Siberian Railway....so if you are are train spotter, or one that likes train journeys, it would be a good journey to take.

Thanks. I'll put Trans Siberian Railway on the list alongside The Silk Road.
The list is growing daily.
I was supposed to be away for Christmas this year, then my Dad got diagnosed with cancer and had surgery a few days after Christmas, so all travel plans were postponed.
I don't want to get to his age and not have seen all these things.
It's changed my perspective on my investment journey. I'm going to focus on enjoying the fruits of my strategy, while maintaining growth.
Aiming for a more balanced life. I'd rather die with a pile of wonderful memories and travel pics than a pile of money in an offset account.

always wanted to go to Latvia, I've heard women are amazingly beautiful ;)

Actually most Eastern European (Russia, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Ukraine, Belarus, Estonia etc) women are stunning compared to American, UK and Australian. They generally not only take much more care of their appearance even after marriage but they are also raised with good family values (cook, clean, look after the kids, be loving to the husband and dont moan) :)

Hence why so many western men are after them for marriage. Never do the website stuff though, if you want to meet one, go there and do it.
Avoid any scams that you got online.

Ah ok, For Vladivostok the Koreans should have the cheapest airfares
and now is probably the best time to make your booking for next summer before they put their prices up.

I need to go during summer July-Sept 2010. Ive noticed the flights around that time are somewhat cheaper.

Yes you are right, Koreans are much cheaper, I just tried expedia and got this:

Roundtrip from AU$2599 inclusive of all taxes and fees
21:00 Depart Melbourne (MEL)
Arrive Vladivostok (VVO) 13:20 tip+2 days Sun 1-Aug
Duration: 39hr 20mn
Qantas Airways Qantas Airways 494
Korean Air Korean Air 122 / 981
Connect in Sydney (Kingsford Smith Intl.), Seoul (ICN)

So its flying Qantas, landing in Seoul and then flying out to Vladivostok.

If you don't have the native tongue, I have only heard one side of the story and the locals don't really warm to the english spoken word. I am sure Invest and a few other might put this right though.

I also agree with Samantha. There are a large number of places to see before your time runs out. It is funny....I never really wanted to go and do any travelling a few years ago, but once you get the 'bug', you never lose it.

Cheers,

F

Yeah the trans Siberian rail way ride would be great if you have all the time in the world. You can take it from Moscow and train it all the way to Vladivostok, I think it takes a few days or more...

As far as speaking in Vladivostok, many kids start learning English in grade 5 primary school, so most young people will be able to talk to you if not in fluent then at least in basic English. If you go to bigger capital cities like Moscow and St Petersburg then you should have plenty of Russian people speaking fluent English.

I speak fluent Russian so will not be needing any English in Vladivostok, in fact i hope to stop speaking it for one month so I can improve my Russian. :D

And yes, travel as much as you can, when you can... Australia is nice but too boring if you live here all your life and never go anywhere else.

Buy the IP...and on settlement day jump in your car and drive to Darwin....find a boat that will take you to Dili/Bali/Singapore...travel north to Malaysia, get a train from KL to Bangkok...keep going North into Laos and finally into China...take a few buses/trains until you get to Beijing....hop on a train to Ulan Bator, Mongolia.....get another one to Vladivostok :) Repeat steps in reverse to come home.

That's my plan if I ever reach financial freedom....ill keep going to somewhere in Europe though....and then maybe down into Africa.

Cheers,

Jamie

Buy the IP...and on settlement day jump in your car and drive to Darwin....find a boat that will take you to Dili/Bali/Singapore...travel north to Malaysia, get a train from KL to Bangkok...keep going North into Laos and finally into China...take a few buses/trains until you get to Beijing....hop on a train to Ulan Bator, Mongolia.....get another one to Vladivostok :) Repeat steps in reverse to come home.

That's my plan if I ever reach financial freedom....ill keep going to somewhere in Europe though....and then maybe down into Africa.

Cheers,

Jamie

That would be pretty cool if I didnt have a day job and had all the time in the world. :)

But yeah Ill do that one day too!

The time issue is what tends to bugger a lot of my travel plans, although as I get older (and wealthier) I'm finding that it's not an issue to take unpaid leave to go do fun things.

I'm planning on taking the family to Europe later this year, can't wait.

Yes you are right, Koreans are much cheaper

Or if you don't mind flying with the chinese there are some flights for $2k around that time
also look on www.zuji.com.au
pick the dates you want and search.
When you recover from the shock click on flexible dates and then pick the ones which cost $2K

If you are on expedia, play a bit with the departure and return dates because the same airlines will have different price depending on how busy they are. Often when they don't have many bookings on specific dates they discount those tickets more. When they have enough bookings they'll increase their prices.

Once you've found something very cheap buy it, don't leave it because it can dissapear overnight (it happened to me)

Enjoy your holiday :)

Or if you don't mind flying with the chinese there are some flights for $2k around that time
also look on www.zuji.com.au
pick the dates you want and search.
When you recover from the shock click on flexible dates and then pick the ones which cost $2K

If you are on expedia, play a bit with the departure and return dates because the same airlines will have different price depending on how busy they are. Often when they don't have many bookings on specific dates they discount those tickets more. When they have enough bookings they'll increase their prices.

Once you've found something very cheap buy it, don't leave it because it can dissapear overnight (it happened to me)

Enjoy your holiday :)
Cheers Bill, lots of great knowledge there! Ill give it a shot... now the only drama is to sort out my annual leave as I just started my job 4 months ago... may need to meet with HR and ask them.

Invest,

Life is one big travel journey.

Possibly the cheapest way to Russia at the moment would be a jet star flight to Japan around $400 return. Then a flight to Russia from Japan. Another option if you want to see more is travel by ferry from Japan to Korea ($120 return) then go to Vladivostok from Korea.

There are many ways to travel around cheaply but what comfort level do you need. For example going from Japan to Korea you can use plane 2Hrs $250 return, fast ferry 3hrs $200 return or overnight ferry $120 return. You can get train ferry passes that can be used for both Korea and Japan as a joint tourist pass.

Another thing to consider is are you able to look for cheap tickets when you land in other countries or do you need your schedule or planned out for you.

If you are thinking of going up through Japan or what info on Japan then send me a pm for contact details. Happy to help out in way if you venture this way.

Mortza, have you been reading my passport with your tips?

Invest,
Possibly the cheapest way to Russia at the moment would be a jet star flight to Japan around $400 return.
I've researched this option because I want to go to Europe as well and in July it would be more like $600 each way and it will be a slow and painful trip like the all stations trains...:eek:

BV, check on friday for jet stars friday frenzy. I regularly fly back and forwards and don't think I have paid $600 one way unless buying a ticket the day of flight. A quick check of my last trip was $1200 return all up for 2 adults and one infant in October, last minute booking.

From jetstar page available until 11th of Jan..

Japan Routes Travel Periods
JetSaver Light#
Fares $AUD
1 Feb - 1 Mar
2010 2 Mar - 23 Apr
2010 10 May - 14 Jul
2010 24 Aug - 30 Sep
Cairns Tokyo $199
Gold Coast Tokyo $249
Gold Coast Osaka $249

I've researched this option because I want to go to Europe as well and in July it would be more like $600 each way and it will be a slow and painful trip like the all stations trains...:eek:
Bill,

Ive just checked zuji and its $2000 return by Air China :D

I need to speak to my HR right away!!! :)

And yes u are so right, Thursday is $2000, Sunday is double that!

Invest,

Life is one big travel journey.

Possibly the cheapest way to Russia at the moment would be a jet star flight to Japan around $400 return. Then a flight to Russia from Japan. Another option if you want to see more is travel by ferry from Japan to Korea ($120 return) then go to Vladivostok from Korea.

There are many ways to travel around cheaply but what comfort level do you need. For example going from Japan to Korea you can use plane 2Hrs $250 return, fast ferry 3hrs $200 return or overnight ferry $120 return. You can get train ferry passes that can be used for both Korea and Japan as a joint tourist pass.

Another thing to consider is are you able to look for cheap tickets when you land in other countries or do you need your schedule or planned out for you.

If you are thinking of going up through Japan or what info on Japan then send me a pm for contact details. Happy to help out in way if you venture this way.

Mortza, have you been reading my passport with your tips?

Thanks Y33... ill compare it all and see which one works out cheaper.

Ideally I just want to get to Vladivostok asap, dont really care to see much of Japan or Korea as I have already been to Japan before, lovely place but I dont have much holidays hence would need to get in and get out :)

I appreciate your help :)

Invest, same day from oz am to japan pm. will check if there are connecting flights across to V and some costs? Korean air might also have some good deals across.

Invest, same day from oz am to japan pm. will check if there are connecting flights across to V and some costs? Korean air might also have some good deals across.

Thanks that would be great!

So far "all in one " flight is cheapest with Air China at $2009 AUD return.
Thats like $1004 AUD one way!

Japan via Korea to V $1000 by plane korean air so not cheap.

If you had time you can take a ferry for only $400 return but 36hours one way.:eek:

Seoul to V about $850 by Korean air. May be some cheap flights to Korea around the $800 range from Melb/Syd.

Japan via Korea to V $1000 by plane korean air so not cheap.

If you had time you can take a ferry for only $400 return but 36hours one way.:eek:

Seoul to V about $850 by Korean air. May be some cheap flights to Korea around the $800 range from Melb/Syd.

Hmmm I think Air China for $2000 return works out the quickest and cheapest so far??

Back