Ipswich

Attended a meeting recently conducted by a Property Investors club in Melbourne. They are promoting Ipswich in SE Queensland stating that lots of developments are going over there.

Any ideas/suggestions please.

HI,

What would you like to know about Ipswich?

If you search Ipswich you will find a fair bit of info.

Let me know if I can help.

Regards,
Jason

Hi Jason,
At the investors club, they are promoting new land (around 700sqm) and house packages for 300k on lease option.

Are any developments going on over there.

Hi,
Land is fairly scarce but you can pick it up 700-800 sq mts for $120K. So I guess if it costs $180K to build and finish off the place that could sound fair.

They are releasing more land all the time as things have gone crazy in the past 12-18months.

What sort of developments do you mean?

There are a lot of housing developments and there is a lot of industrial developments that have been done in the past little while.

Regards
Jason

Thanks Jason for the quick update. I am looking at the House developments. Can you suggest me few websites where i can have look at these developments.

Hi,
try a search on The QLD group, I know they were doing one at Collingwood Park. I'll have a drive by some of the others and see what I can find for you.

Regards,
Jason

Dear Saibaba,

JPM, Brenda and myself have all made returns that most others would find impressive in the Ipswich City Council (ICC) area. Positively geared properties that have had huge capital growth.

As you may know the capital growth in the area in the last 12 months has even outperformed that of the Sunshine Coast whilst having the rental yields.

Why invest in the ICC area?

1) QLD’s underlying shortage of dwellings

Brisbane's/QLD's population is growing at a rate faster than any other state in Australia. In fact the amount of houses that are being built cannot meet demand. Michael Matusik says that according to his latest figures that QLD's population increased by 88,039 in the last 12 months. In the latest figures available to him he states that 1,500 too few houses were built in just the March 2003 quarter. Sufficient houses are not being built to satisfy demand.

2) Vacancy Rate

REIQ September 2003 vacancy rates for ICC is 0.94% for houses. For houses this is the lowest in QLD except for the Darling Downs area. Where I invest the current vacancy rate is 0.4%.

Quite simply there is a SHORTAGE of houses in the area. What happens when there is this dramatic shortage? Rents go up. How else could I get an increase of 43.75% on the rent of one of my recently re-let IP’s?

No volatile holiday demand. Fundamental demand for accommodation to live in.

3) Undervalued area

ICC has traditionally been undervalued. Many local parties have not seen the value in their properties and do not have the foresight of seeing how Sydney and other cities world wide have developed.

Even Nivia –The Wife had the foresight to know that ICC was a great place to invest. She spoke with her feet on this issue.

Understand that some areas of ICC are more undervalued than others.

4) Transportation/Infrastructure

ICC’s greatest asset is the train line. The QLD government cannot keep up with the required infrastructure investments to cope with the massive increase in population that is taking place. This will mean that roads will become more and more congested. Cars and buses are NOT the way to go. Trains worldwide are the only way to reliably carry the volume of people from workplace to place of residence.

Look at practical examples of large cities such as Seoul, Tokyo and London. Utilise the benefits of understanding what carries the population of Sydney and Melbourne.

QLD’s population growth is 74% made up of overseas/interstate migration. What areas are these people attracted to first? During peak hours trains run every 10 minutes. What could be more convenient?

Trains are the only effective way that can carry the volume of population. This situation will not go away. What this means is that land an easy walking distance to the station that is not flood/mining affected that is a reasonable commute time to the Brisbane CBD will grow/develop at a faster rate than land which is not so.

Combine this with one of the major shopping centres and you have a winning combination.

5) ICC is part of Brisbane

Most of the ICC is less than 1 hour to the Brisbane CBD. Some parts are 30 minutes to the CBD.

One should not try to look at the suburbs as part of the Ipswich CBD. The fact is that the greater part of employment for ICC is in Brisbane itself. ICC suburbs are really part of Brisbane with the same local telephone number. It is from this viewpoint that a professional investor must look.

6) Future for Ipswich City Council area.

ICC recently has had impressive growth. However the fact remains that many parts are STILL considerably undervalued. When research is done well then rents will be able to be increased at a rate to ensure an impressive rental yield in today’s market for a capital city, with the practical fundamentals to ensure considerable capital growth for quite some time to come.

Some practical thoughts………….

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Hi Sunstone,
What a great analysis. Can you please suggest me the names of few real estate agents and the names of the areas closer to the railway station.

Thanks

He says as he rubs his hands with glee!!!!

I am lucky enough to get some inside info on a town where we invest, a little west of there with a tertiary institute and know how it feels!! Always happy to hear good news!!

I am REALLY hoping to get to the meeting Tuesday night as I haven't been yet. How slack of me, the Vegas crew sound pretty switched on and best of all, happy to offer support and advice.

Dos

Dos,

Don't feel too bad mate. I've been 'gunna' go to one of the meetings for that long I can't remember. Seems like there is something always popping up.

I'd probably get kicked out though because of the smug grin of my face that I haven't been able to wipe off for months now :D :D

Jason

Dear JPM,

Thanks for the kind words.

Hope both you and Dos DO come along to the next BIG meeting. ;)

The great thing about meeting like minded investors is that one never stops learning. We all have different parts of the puzzle and ALL can help each other with both our successes and failures.

Imagine a "Roadtrip" with a bunch of BIG investors? :)

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Alas, I cannot go to the next BIG meet and I did want to go. Les will be 6hrs drive in the opposite direction, and I have to hold the fort at home and mind my children.

My prediction, for what it is worth, is that the median price in housing for Ipswich will not stop quietly rising until it just tops over the $200k mark. I am patiently waiting to see if I will be correct.

Sorry Sunstone, but the weather is too cold and my legs too old to 'bicycle' the 80km in to the BIG meet. Les has the car with him in Roma. :D

Ippy IPPY yippy!!

I love Ipswich and what it has already done for my bank balance(well equity anyway). Major things to note in the area are:

One mile bridge expansion $9.5Mil due for completion end of October will link the residential suburbs of One Mile and Leichhardt and the light industrial area just north of there with a 2 lane bridge which will also smooth out the directional flow of traffic in the area. New lights have also been added.

Steggles are adding 120 new staff and expanding in this industrial area north of Leichhardt.

A new 40 hectare powerstation is being built in Swanbank

A new paper pulp mill is being built in the Ebebnezer/Swanbank industrial area.

The Dinmore meatworks are adding an additional 800 jobs in the next 5 years

The new Caplan (formerly Alcan) Aluminium Smelter was originally scaled to have 150 jobs, now near completion is due to actually add 500 jobs locally.

Sringwood is currently the end of the Centenary Freeway from Brisbane CBD, this is now being expanded to the Ripley Valley just below Ipswich. A further 110,000 Homes are forcast for the next 10 years.

Currently the suburbs of Flinders View and Deebing Heights are selling for $395k house/land deals. Compare this with established homes in Ipswich sub $200k and you can see there will be constant growth for some many years to come.

The Ipswich Uni campus is expanding from 3500 students to 8500 students by 2008.

The trainline is now undergoing a $6mil upgrade in preparation of the fast train expansion of the Ipswich line to Towoomba due to commence in 2007.

A new olympic pool is being built in Goodna

The Goodna to Redbank Plains main road is being duplicated.

A new retirement home is also being constructed near the river in Goodna

The Redbank Plains Shopping Centre is undergoing a $22mil upgrade.

The Warego to Cunningham freeways bypass is approved for West of Ipswich

3 new estates are being built in Rosewood

Both the Army and Air Force logistics division are relocating to the Super base being expanded at Amberley. An additional 5000 staff in the next 6 years.

Many are relocating from the downsizing of Melbourne , Darwin and Richmond Airfoce bases.

Boeing are also expanding their service centre at Amberley. Mainly due to Qantas announcing all of their fleet maintainance will relocate to Brisbane in the next three years.

If you really want to know your area do a heap of research. If you want someone who knows what they are talking about, talk to a person that lives and breathes the area.

Most of all enjoy investing.

DD1 :D

Back