Ipswich

I was just curious, I can't help you sorry. I'm looking at houses on 1000sq metres so they can be subdivded down the track. Best of luck.

An artist's impression of the high-rise tower for Ipswich.

City units go ahead

By TONY MOORE
THE developer who this week gained approval for Ipswich's first inner-city apartment block tower is already trying to develop a second site.

Ian Dore, from Dore Property Corporation Pty Ltd, was given the go-ahead to build a 15-storey, $30 million residential apartment block beside the Bakehouse Steakhouse in Ellenborough Street.

It will be the first high-rise apartment tower in Ipswich and includes a lap pool, penthouse suites and gymnasium.

The bakehouse will be preserved and renovated as a historic-themed restaurant, convention centre and gallery.

The decision comes two weeks after the draft South East Queensland Regional Plan nominated Ipswich as a principal regional centre, needing inner-city residential development for population growth.

Mr Dore said his Brisbane corporation was already looking for other Ipswich properties.

"We are looking to put another site together in Ipswich right now," he said, but refused to outline the site.

He said the project team hoped to start construction of the approved tower in late May or June next year.

The angular, high-rise tower will rise up in the vicinity of the skyline dominated for decades by St Mary's Church opposite Timothy Molony Park.

Father Peter Casey last night said St Mary's parish had no concerns.

"I think it is good for Ipswich. I think it will open up the vista of the place."

http://www.qt.com.au/storydisplay.c...localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

Airspace wanted
by Sue Gardiner

The State Government has not ruled out selling the airspace above the railway stations at Goodna and Redbank.

Selling airspace would allow commercial precincts to be built above the stations similar to what is in place at Central, Brunswick St and Toowong stations.

The State Government’s Office of Urban Management identified Goodna and Redbank as suburbs with potential for higher density development as part of its draft SEQ Reginal Plan.

State treasurer Terry Mackenroth said the higher density development would be suitable near public transport services.

“The option to incorporate the air space above the railway corridor would need to be investigated on a case-by-case basis,” he said.

“A high proportion of these transit oriented developments are likely to be around existing transport centres.”

Goodna, Redbank, Springfield and Ipswich have been earmarked as potential Transit Orientated Developments in the draft regional plan.

Ipswich Councillor Paul Tully (Division 2) said it was a progressive idea.

“If we could attract that sort of development, that would really put the whole precinct from Goodna to Redbank on the map,” Cr Tully said.

“It could incorporate both commercial or residential development.”

“I could see an iconic building above the Goodna Railway Station right next to the Ipswich Motorway.”

(From South-West News –Wednesday Nov 17 – 2004; Front page.)

What sort of transit centre does Springfield have at the moment?

Is it in reference to the bus service?

cheers

bicko

Be careful before you spend this type of money so far from Brisbane, consider you can get a house in Brisbane for much less only 15 k from CBD.
Sounds exciting all right I am not saying don`t invest there but stay there for while and check the place out before you spend big money and check out all your options.
I have lived in Brissy for thirty years and it sounds like you pay an awful lot of dough for property in Ipswich these days all things considered.

Sungok said:
Airspace wanted
by Sue Gardiner

The State Government has not ruled out selling the airspace above the railway stations at Goodna and Redbank.

Selling airspace would allow commercial precincts to be built above the stations similar to what is in place at Central, Brunswick St and Toowong stations.

The State Government’s Office of Urban Management identified Goodna and Redbank as suburbs with potential for higher density development as part of its draft SEQ Reginal Plan.

State treasurer Terry Mackenroth said the higher density development would be suitable near public transport services.

“The option to incorporate the air space above the railway corridor would need to be investigated on a case-by-case basis,” he said.

“A high proportion of these transit oriented developments are likely to be around existing transport centres.”

Goodna, Redbank, Springfield and Ipswich have been earmarked as potential Transit Orientated Developments in the draft regional plan.

Ipswich Councillor Paul Tully (Division 2) said it was a progressive idea.

“If we could attract that sort of development, that would really put the whole precinct from Goodna to Redbank on the map,” Cr Tully said.

“It could incorporate both commercial or residential development.”

“I could see an iconic building above the Goodna Railway Station right next to the Ipswich Motorway.”

(From South-West News –Wednesday Nov 17 – 2004; Front page.)

It is a retrograde step to build high rise over all railway stations.

Toowong had a very pretty station and precinct until an all-glass high rise was built over the station. The highrise was followed by more. Now it looks like *bleep*. Pity, Toowong could have maintained a village atmosphere, which would have benefited the community and business. The high rise could have been further away.

The Council carries on like a pig on a spit about small lot designs but is over-eager to allow big business to do whatever it likes.

Lplate

Markpatric,
i sometimes wonder on the same lines,as you can still buy
inner city on the southside in brisbane for under 200k
less than 10 klms for the city centre, but then again
the biggest profits can be made by taking advantage of the
opportunties being ignored by others..
good luck.
willair..

Dear guys,

People with foresight invest and continue to invest in the ICC (Ipswich City Council) area.

For those who don’t know -even Brad Sugars (Billionaire in training) invests in the ICC area.

His latest property investing rules:
1) 50: 10: 3 : 1
2) Land not building
3) Houses only
4) Profit at purchase
5) Cosmetic only (Renovate to maximum of 10% of purchase price.)
6) Buy on numbers
7) Buy where expert
8) Balance portfolio.

I just came back tonight from the SEQ plan public information session for Ipswich. Exciting times now and to the future. This is a progressive plan which will ensure dividends.

Enjoy the journey. :)

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Sunstone said:
I just came back tonight from the SEQ plan public information session for Ipswich. Exciting times now and to the future. This is a progressive plan which will ensure dividends.
Sunstone.
How was the information session for Ipswich, I missed it. Will it be displayed via web or newspaper soon?

Brenda Irwin said:
How was the information session for Ipswich, I missed it. Will it be displayed via web or newspaper soon?

Dear Brenda,

The session was good.

If you are looking for the core of the SEQ plan information I posted it earlier in this thread. No additional information at this stage
will be posted by the QLD government on the web as a direct result of the information sessions:
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=122187&postcount=39
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=122277&postcount=41

If you want there are still information sessions that you can attend at other locations until the 14th of December:
http://www.oum.qld.gov.au/?id=190

Two key points highlighted were:

-Change in household composition in QLD
Type of household; 2001; 2021 (projected);
1-2 person households 50% 60%
Households with children 44% 35%
Other 6% 5%

-Misconception of baby boomer migration
Many believe that QLD’s population increase is mainly made up of the “baby boomer’s” migrating to Australia. This is incorrect. The biggest age group coming up to QLD is actually the 30-45 years category. Meaning that they will be looking at job centres and housing that provides easy (transport) access to these jobs.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

I wonder Sunstone whether he still buys there or whether he bought there when it was cheap as chips?. Maybe he still does but I`ll wager he owns much more in Brisbane???.
Like I said I`m not saying don`t buy there cause I was wrong before about Ipswich, but in saying that I was right on the money about Logan, Riverhills, Rockhampton, Bundy and Brookfield :D so it is not sour grapes I am not a negative investor...... far from it!, if Ipswich were to boom further it would only rocket the prices where I am at.

markpatric said:
I wonder Sunstone whether he still buys there or whether he bought there when it was cheap as chips?. Maybe he still does but I`ll wager he owns much more in Brisbane???.
Like I said I`m not saying don`t buy there cause I was wrong before about Ipswich, but in saying that I was right on the money about Logan, Riverhills, Rockhampton, Bundy and Brookfield :D so it is not sour grapes I am not a negative investor...... far from it!, if Ipswich were to boom further it would only rocket the prices where I am at.

Markpatric,
Hmmm, you had a site for sale at Rocky of late that was reflective of Ipswich prices if I recall correctly, cant seem to find it , want to post again?
Sunstone and others may have bought in Ipswich when prices were considerably less then they are now, is that a mistake ? Good on them for the foresight I say.
When you were trumpeting Rocky, better properties could be had at Ipswich for similar prices, I know where the smart money was. I grabbed what I could, thanks to Shanes tip. And a bonus all happened to subdividable.
That was my forthought though and not just luck, on my 3rd subdivision as we speak, previous two approved, even though it was a lenghty process.
BTW even without the subdivisions have seen 100% increases in 2 years.
Astroboy

You misunderstood my post, I agree they have done well, simply Ipswich has become overpriced imo, like many areas, and it could take some time for prices to move again, but should there still be cash flow positive deals there I would not rule it out, just be careful, think very long term is all I would say.
Yes I am currently selling a house in Rocky, reason being I would like to better use the equity on my ppor, there is money to be made still in the house but I don`t have the time to get up there and renovate.
If you can buy a 3 br house in Ipswich in a good area for $106,000, I would see your point ;) .
There is no way you could have bought a comparable property for a similar price in Ipswich even when I bought the Rocky house 1 yr ago.

Very interesting thread.

But perhaps I'm missing something. If an area is slated for a huge increase in multi-unit housing, doesn't that imply more competition for the properties you are trying to rent out there? Aren't you better off buying in an area where there is strong demand but limited supply?

What am I missing? :confused:
JIM

Back