Is a cast iron bath tub worth anything?

Just been doing a small Reno removing the bath tub

It's a really old cast iron bath tub in dark green

When I removed it and put it in my front yard in the first day I had people coming in and saying if they could have it

However fast fwd a week nobody has picked it up

Are these worth anything for scrap metal?

They most probably checked it out and found out how heavy they are and thought better off it.

We don't even try and pick them up whole. We just smash them up with a sledge hammer and carry out the pieces.

Cheers

We recently got rid of one from our reno. Had to take it to a scrap metal place and they only pay about $60 per tonne, so even with all the other metal bits and pieces we only ended up with $27. Still, that was the only place prepared to pay anything, everyone else said they'd take it (for free) IF we delivered it to them.

The only other suggestion is maybe to put it on gumtree, some people like to use them to hold drinking water for horses.

Just been doing a small Reno removing the bath tub

It's a really old cast iron bath tub in dark green

When I removed it and put it in my front yard in the first day I had people coming in and saying if they could have it

However fast fwd a week nobody has picked it up

Are these worth anything for scrap metal?
Most are casted iron from that era,and some are above 200 kilos I have done my back in several times lifting them out,you don't get a lot on money for them from scrap metal dealers,imho..

Most are casted iron from that era,and some are above 200 kilos I have done my back in several times lifting them out,you don't get a lot on money for them from scrap metal dealers,imho..

When I bought my property in the Druitt, there was one in the backyard. Mate, it was so heavy it took three people to move it.

Its worth a lot of money to the medical profession. They make a fortune from a broken back!

Last edited:
Back