Is a PM obligated to accompany tradesmen?

If a tenant cannot be home when a tradie has to call to do repairs, can a PM allow the tradie into the premises without accompanying him, if it is against the wishes of the tenant?

If a tenant does not want a tradie wandering through their home unaccompanied, can the tenant ask for a PM to sign a declaration stating they were with the tradie the whole time he had access to the premises?

This is for Qld, but would be interested in other states as well. With more upper middle class people renting, some rentals obviously have a lot of valuables.....the question of how house and contents covers these situations would also be interesting.

Hi Winston

Certainly for Qld there is no legislation covering this question and all boils down to the integrity of the PM.

Personally i only use tradesman who we have had work for us for many years and who are trusted and reliable so this is not usually a problem or question that arises.

Whilst i work for the landlord i also respect the wishes and rights of my tenants so where a specific request from the tenant to occupy the tradesman on a visit we would do so.

Yes, I quite often wonder about this. When I moved into my new PPOR, we have had the aircon man out about 10 times, cos the installers were really useless.
I often wondered how can a LL expect a tenant to stay home fm work to let tradies in to fix up the LLord's property??
If it is only once a year or so, OK, but more than this I should expect the PM to be there??

I often wondered how can a LL expect a tenant to stay home fm work to let tradies in to fix up the LLord's property??
If it is only once a year or so, OK, but more than this I should expect the PM to be there??

My sentiments too cgw. I think it unreasonable for ,say, a self employed tenant to have to forego income by staying home, because a PM or LL isn't prepared to accompany the tradie.

I recently had a conversation with a young workmate who rents. She is very particular about her cd collection and some other valuables, and is distressed because 6 or so of the cds are missing and a piece of jewellry. There has been no one in her apt since tradies came about 6 weeks ago, and she knew the cds were there just before that.

If a tenant cannot be home when a tradie has to call to do repairs, can a PM allow the tradie into the premises without accompanying him, if it is against the wishes of the tenant?

My PM faxes a work order to the tradie and asks he arrange with the tenant re: time of entry. The tenant can stay home or the tradie can pick up keys from the PM (tenant's choice).

I don't think its fair for the tenant to ask (demand) the PM to accompany the tradie. If the tenant was the owner, he would have to stay home or leave the keys for the tradie. Its no different in this case.

If the tenant refused to allow the tradie onto the premisis without accompanyment, that would surly be upto the goodwill of the PM?

I don't think its fair for the tenant to ask (demand) the PM to accompany the tradie. If the tenant was the owner, he would have to stay home or leave the keys for the tradie. Its no different in this case.

Sound point....

But if the tenant was the owner, they'd get to choose the tradie.

Back