Is a wide fronted property easier to subdivide?

Im just having a quick look at a property that is 700sqm, wide frontage

but gets smaller to the back, ie like a triangle/pyramid shaped easier or harder to subidivide???

Im assuming that it would be harder because you'd basically need to have one of the properties with a triangular corner which would make it harder

Possibly harder but you will also need to look at the set back of the properties on either side of this block and how you would possibly configure the two new dwellings to take into account off street parking (single or double garage) depending on local council requirements.

What is the frontage?

Last edited:
Ok, so ~13 mt frontage if you are splitting the block in this way may work (assuming not corner block). Of course given that's its an irregular shaped block may things a little more problematic, but I'll ignore that issue here for the moment.

But if you look at typcial 2 level towhnouse you could build your garage right to the boundary. So you could have the garages for both properties next to each with the boundary fence obviously splitting the two. A mirror image design for both properties. Seems doable.

As for your irregular shaped block, a good architect or draftsperson 'should' be able to overcome those issues with clever design.

Good luck with it.

Possibly harder but you will also need to look at the set back of the properties on either side of this block and how you would possibly configure the two new dwellings to take into account off street parking (single or double garage) depending on local council requirements.
Yes, this, plus councils usually have minimum land size as well as frontage and setback requirements. If you meet most of them but fall short slightly on one you can usually do it.

We subdivided ours - 29m wide, 15m minimum frontage required - and slipped it through because the minimum area is about 300sqm less than the sizes we were splitting into.

thanks everyone

unforutantely, its jsut part of my due diligence, and was just wondering with an odd shaped block, how much of a difficulty it would be and if or how much it would be reflected on the price,

as in, if its possible but people don't want a odd shaped block, it might be a bargain to pick up or if everyone still wanted it, then it would sell just like any other property and hence its not worth it as you could get a square/rectangular block next door for the same price but without any of the hassle.!!!

We subdivided ours - 29m wide, 15m minimum frontage required - and slipped it through because the minimum area is about 300sqm less than the sizes we were splitting into.

I'm curious RE, did you make one of them full width and the other a slim 14m, or did you make both break the rules evenly but not by as much (14.5m each)?

Im just having a quick look at a property that is 700sqm, wide frontage

but gets smaller to the back, ie like a triangle/pyramid shaped easier or harder to subidivide???

Im assuming that it would be harder because you'd basically need to have one of the properties with a triangular corner which would make it harder

sounds small could always look into dual occ depending on the size of house etc

sounds small could always look into dual occ depending on the size of house etc

sorry for the dumb question but I understand the key differences between subdivision and dual occ, but the only thing I am not sure about is potential gains, as in which one is more,

I understand that subdiv will cost a lot more, because you have to tear down one of them and be rentless for a few months, while dual occ you can rent it out, but the final product, you would have 1 older looking dwelling, and 1 new one, but also it woul most likely be at the back so ...........

Back