Is an old unit worthwhile?

Went for a drive around Meadowbank today (which took me a whole 5 mins haha).
I want to buy a unit there..but my budget is $400K..so even though I love the new apartments...I can't afford it.
Do you think it is a good idea to buy a 2br unit in the old part of Meadowbank to get my foot in the door. Do you think this part of Meadowbank will have good CG as a result of the new development

Do you mean a villa unit?

If so, I think they're great, in fact, my last 3 purchases were old, unrenovated villa units.

rafters

Buying old is not a bad idea as long as there are not many maintenance issues and as long as the yields are reasonable.
If the building looks solid, if it's a nice block and you can afford it then go for it.

With a new unit the rent will be higher but because of the high price the yield perhaps won't be as good. However, with a new place you can claim depreciation so this balances things out a bit.

I actually bought an old unit today because the yields were good (7%).
If I was looking for tax benefits I would have bought a newer place (if I could afford it)

Rafters, my best investment has been the purchase of 2 art deco apartments built in 1938 in Sydney. tenants love the high ceilings, period features and they have had the best price appreciation in my portfolio. Old apartments can work...

Back