Is extension allowed in heritage conservation area?

We just bought a house in heritage conservation area. It is corner block of 530sqm, with the existing house size of 120sqm + carport....very small. We are thinking to do an extension attached to the exisiting house at the rear of the block to add another 2 bedroom in the near future. We lodged a call to Parramatta council and briefly explained what i want to do, their repsonse was "I can't confirm you that on the phone, you need to lodge a formal DA subject to approval"

We heard that it's hard and time consuming to deal with council in any alteration in heritage area. We also heard that Parramatta council is the easiest council to deal with in NSW.

My understanding is as far as our extension plan satisfy the council rules (eg. side/rear setback, primary & secondary street frontage, min open space...etc) and the external design have to match the existing house, it should be fine.

Any comment would be appreciated~

There are usually two types of heritage, local (council) and state. There is a higher level but its very uncommon for a resi dwelling.

Your property probably falls under local heritage which is mananged by council.

Each council has their own heritage officer, usually they are outsourced and in the council one or two days a week.

Call council and try to speak to this heritage officer.

They will tell you what the significance of the heritage is. Usually extensions are welcomed as long as they do not detract from the original dwelling meaning you need to stay single level. Also, as long as your overall design is sympathetic to the heritage then you should be ok.

Step 1 - speak to council heritage and determine if its a council level heritage

Step 2 - speak to an architect and tell them what you want to do, they usually will have a heritage contact that they will liaise with during the design process as your heritage guy will need to create a report supporting your DA.

Hi misakimen

of course council can't answer your query over the phone - they need to see what you want to do on a proper set of plans. If there is a heritage overlay, then you will need to comply with its requirements as well as complying with the LEP. That is, you can't expect to erect an extension which is not in keeping with the existing area - no aluminium windows, flat/low pitched roofs, low ceilings, different materials, no second storey (if there are no other similar premises) etc.

There are usually two types of heritage, local (council) and state. There is a higher level but its very uncommon for a resi dwelling.

Each council has their own heritage officer, usually they are outsourced and in the council one or two days a week.

They will tell you what the significance of the heritage is. Usually extensions are welcomed as long as they do not detract from the original dwelling meaning you need to stay single level. Also, as long as your overall design is sympathetic to the heritage then you should be ok.

Step 1 - speak to council heritage and determine if its a council level heritage

Step 2 - speak to an architect and tell them what you want to do, they usually will have a heritage contact that they will liaise with during the design process as your heritage guy will need to create a report supporting your DA.

Thanks Belvoir. That makes the picture much clearer

Do I need a heritage architect? or any local architect will do?
My understanding is job of the architect is to draft and design the extension layout. So after the DA is approved, I don't need the architect any more. Please correct me if i am wrong. By any chance would the council requires the architect to jump back in after the DA is approval.

Provided that your architect provides the DA & CC plans (and they're engaged to get the plans through council) you probably won't need them afterwards.

Back