Is Insurance Excess deductible

as the title states. I am making a claim for repairs to my shower and will have to pay an excess of $300. Is this tax deductible?

Just purely out of interest, what damage occured that paying $300 in excess would be worth the cost of repairs and higher future premiums?

I can think of a couple but they would be horribly bad luck.

Gools

Ive claimed a couple of times, and havent been notified, or noticed an increase in premiums. Is it really the case once you claim that your premiums increase? Or just a myth the insurance companies like to peddle?

Just purely out of interest, what damage occured that paying $300 in excess would be worth the cost of repairs and higher future premiums?

I can think of a couple but they would be horribly bad luck.

Gools

The pipes in the shower caused the taps to leak, so the wall needed to be taken down and pipes repaired and taps replaced. The gyprock was damaged due to the leaks, so this needed to be replaced

I am able to claim the cost of sourcing the leak, but not the plumbing, so about $700 out of pocket there. I will be claiming the replacement of gyprock and retiling, which probably will hit around the $2000 mark including painting, water proofing, etc.

So $300 excess for $2000 worth of damage, I would rather pay the excess. This is the first claim on any insurance product I have ever made as I always will pay out of my own pocket if I feel the increased premiums would outweigh the claim.

I have a number of policies with the insurer, so will see how much premiums go up next year as I renewed the policies this month. I will also see how good an insurer thay are now as I am making the claim

Back