Is Ironstone too dark for house?

Dulux colourbond Ironstone. Debating whether to paint bottom half of house in Surfmist or Ironstone. Have painted the brick retaining walls Ironstone although in the photo it looks blue! House is surf mist, roof will be charcoal.

Bottom half cladding is vertical, top is horizontal. Windows downstairs will have brand new white architraves. Want to make house look more striking than Surfmist. Our professional painter personally hates Ironstone but his advice was useful - to paint the lower half and the retaining walls all the same colour. He thought a mid grey. But we only just painted the ironstone and will not paint over it as too expensive.

I know it's completely subjective but it's fun to discuss colours!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 1,033
I like Ironstone personally. We just had our roof resprayed in that colour and it looks great. We'll be using a very similar colour on our fencing as we have already used it on a side gate even before we did the roof - Dulux Grid, it's a touch bluer than Ironstone.

Just comes down to personal preference I guess, we wanted a grey but a blue-grey not brown-grey, hence Ironstone.

Hi Elke I love Ironstone too but I think it will be too much of a contrast against the top half Surfmist colour. I agree that a mid grey would work well. Go for a cooler grey rather than a warm grey so it ties through to the Ironstone. Has the garage door already been painted Ironstone too?? If so, good work as this will provide a link to the house (and make it look more cohesive).
Hope that helps!

Why are you restrixting yourself to colorbond colours?

If colour selection isnt somethinf yourr great at spend a bit of money to get advice

Hi Elke I love Ironstone too but I think it will be too much of a contrast against the top half Surfmist colour. I agree that a mid grey would work well. Go for a cooler grey rather than a warm grey so it ties through to the Ironstone. Has the garage door already been painted Ironstone too?? If so, good work as this will provide a link to the house (and make it look more cohesive).
Hope that helps!

Thanks, agreed. That's my biggest same concern - it's a heavy colour. The painter we had said it would be 'too much' if we did the lower half a different colour to the retaining wall. It's a big wall, see other photo here....

if u know any Dulux names of mid greys that would work with Ironstone??

Also am wasting half my day trying to decide whether to get architraves/ frames around the top two windows in a coordinating colour... Perhaps Ironstone or mid grey. Yes it would look better than faded aluminium, but is it worth the effort and expense???? Would a valuer value it more highly?

We have valuer coming next week, the roof is painted today, new windows in tomoz, and I'm painting on Friday. But builder will need the architraves tomoz and I would need to buy and paint them tonight so he can instal them already painted ( too hard for me to climb up n paint them in situ).

Gotta make a decision based on my care factor today!!! Decide to paint plus what colour to do it!!

Our strategy is buy n hold. So it's only about the valuer. To me it doesn't seem worth the extra nearly $400 plus effort. Plus will have to paint them again in a few years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 670
Why are you restrixting yourself to colorbond colours?

If colour selection isnt somethinf yourr great at spend a bit of money to get advice

Hi Sanj
It was only to match the front wall. Otherwise if we go a diff colour we can pick any colour. Ta

Hope that helps!

Yes garage door is Ironstone

What colours did you end up doing? Any photo update of end result? I had my roof of IP painted charcoal (was brown) which was equiv to Ironstone about 12 years ago. It looks like it's faded back to a brownish-grey. My neighbours painted their roof a slightly lighter grey soon after, I notice theirs has faded significantly also.
It looks like this house is painted in Ironstone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 2,851
Ironstone is a nice colour.
I have monument on my house which is similar.
My colour preference and I think looks good is
- monument colour roof tiles
- monument gutters
- dune colour fascia
- white eaves
- monument windows
- dune colour rendered brick walls
- monument colour driveways

Dune is similar to surf mist but I think dune is a bit darker.

If you go dark roof go lighter colour walls. You don't want the house to dark.
That's my 2cents anyway.:)

Back