Is it ok to pay my tax bill with LOC?

I just received my tax bill :(
Are there any problems with the deductibility of interest on my LOC if I use some of it to pay my tax bill?

AFAIK paying tax is a personal expense not related to the activity of owning a property. Go directly to gaol, do not pass go, do not collect $200 :eek:

Agreed with SCott on this... insofar as I'm aware, paying tax isn't tax deductible, or it would get ridiculous trying to acquit.

Just to clarify ... the tax you are talking about is Income Tax.

I believe you could conceivably 'capitalise' land tax payments and claim the associated interest. Happy to be corrected

/\ /\ /\
+1 above.

But isn't the interest charged by the ATO on overdue taxes deductible?? Would that be the same deal here???

Thought I read that somewhere.

Or maybe I'm getting that confused with the ATO paying the taxpayer interest and they have to declare it as income????

There was a recent case from a few months ago where the persons had 9 properties I think and was self managing. But it all depends on multiple factors - how you conduct it for example. A couple of Ips with a property manager doing the management probably wouldn't work.

If you are considered to be running a business, though, wouldn't you also lose the CG discount because it'll all be ordinary income?

Just because you operate as a business does not mean you lose the cgt discount. A developer can hold an asset on capital account and revenue account. Cases such as scottish australian mining, whitfords beach, cassimaty etc have analysed the concept of revenue vs capital. It is intention that is important.

Back