is it possible to take wall paper off asbestos walls?

so i'm looking at this place that has old wall paper that needs to be removed. it's all asbestos fibro internal walls.

has anyone done this before? i'm aware worst case scenario i'd have to take all the walls out and put new ones in but i want to know if it's possible to take the wall paper off with out damaging the a fibro.

so i'm looking at this place that has old wall paper that needs to be removed. it's all asbestos fibro internal walls.

has anyone done this before? i'm aware worst case scenario i'd have to take all the walls out and put new ones in but i want to know if it's possible to take the wall paper off with out damaging the a fibro.

JUST ..discreetly take a small section of the wall paper off,,and just see how the inner level is sealed,most time it's just raw and dangerous and dust..imho..

Bonded asbestos sheets are a reasonably stable form of acm. It only becomes hazardous if it is broken, drilled, sanded or cut.

There shouldn't be any issues with stripping and refinishing provided that you're not using power tools on dry board.

Last edited:
Use a wall paper steamer and scraper to remove, it's a low risk process. Unlikely to disturb asbestos fibres unless you go digging chunks out of the wall.

It is inhaled asbestos dust that is a health issue.

Use a correct steamer and keep the asbestos wet while working, using a bucket of water and a big paintbrush. If the paper is not vinyl coated, use water liberally before attempting removal to loosen the glue.

Ensure you get a top quality mask as an added protection.
Marg.

Back