Is it safe to travel to Japan?

Hey guys,

Considering a two week Japanese holiday. Been there a few times before and love it.

The question is, given the Fukushima incident, is it safe?

I'm sure the government websites would say it's fine (just as they were saying when it wasn't!). I'm also sure many websites will say all of the food and water in the area is polluted and I won't be able to have kids down the track if I go.

I suspect the truth is something in between.

Has anybody checked it out thoroughly?

David.

Wait until you have had your kids?

I dont know but some friends of ours went last year and they came back with their same one head each.

We went in January with our 3 kids.
We had some concerns so we set our own exclusion zone and stayed in the South (Osaka) and the North (Sapporo)
We were also advised not to eat certain fish (ie fish that can accumulate toxins) but I did eat some (couldn't resist salmon and tuna sashimi)

I would go.

The issue isn't just limited to Japan anyway. Fukushima is spilling god knows what into the ocean every day and that is going everywhere. We are an earthquake away from a major catastrophe there.

Hey guys,

Considering a two week Japanese holiday. Been there a few times before and love it.

The question is, given the Fukushima incident, is it safe?

I'm sure the government websites would say it's fine (just as they were saying when it wasn't!). I'm also sure many websites will say all of the food and water in the area is polluted and I won't be able to have kids down the track if I go.

I suspect the truth is something in between.

Has anybody checked it out thoroughly?

David.

I wouldn't have an issue going.

The radiation levels (if any) are quite low so I think it's more long term exposure you have to be careful of. But I'm now radiation expert so take that with a grain of salt...

should be okay

169306.jpg

I went, to the south. Answer is, who knows?

You won't find these things out until 20 years later. In the meantime, some of the fish in US west coast have been affected by radiation waters floating from Fukushima across to USA/Canada.

Back