Is it time for Frankston?

what are peoples/ locals thoughts on the Golden Triangle area of Frankston ?

I ask as I own a property (on Dell Road) that we extensively renovated (for our own standard of living not for profit) and we get regularly question / harrassed by local agents on selling due to high interest in the area and our place is only on 400sqm so not a development site. I took one up on a valuation last week, and when she saw the house couldn't give an accurate price (but offered to get the assistance of a colleague) because of the work we had done but she was fairly young and I assume inexperienced.

We originally bought in the area because we had no choice as I work in the city and my wife works down the peninsula so she can drive and I wanted to be within walking distance to the train station. After living here for 3 years I am really happy with the area we are a 10-15 minute walk to the beach (10 for an adult or 15 with the kids), 5 mins to shops trains etc. All the housos and bogans are slowly moving away so it should get even better hopefully.

I am not trying to talk it up but just my observations from living in the area also wondering if I should sell now or hold out for 2.5 - 3 years when I will be moving back to W.A. Any thoughts ??

cheers
Julian

woo

+1 to that. im holding on. its definitely going up, as ive explained, the development in frankston is certainly a lot from what im seeing in the srea and its brilliant, the changes are huge and everyone ive talked to about it are embracing it.

Hi

I think the golden triangle in Frankston is the area bordered by McMahons Road, Davey Street and Cranbourne Road...but please double check this before purchasing anything!

Originally it was an area that people walking down the streets got into grief, got bashed and went missing!....now it seems to be a developer's ultimate area to purchase blocks with old houses and redevelop.

Even I survived the golden triangle!!!

Regards,

alicudi

Still struggling with this sale.. 2nd contract now and buyers want a reduction for FA.. I said no cause I feel there's an easy $50k on it"s way within the next year or so give or take. Geez Frankston investors are cheap.. But hey, must be good cause they've been placing the contact and then trying to screw me. Nice! Thats something I'd do gor sure. After all this is business but I kinda want to keep it now with all thus talk. I have a feeling of gains coming soon

Glad to see that you're reconsidering Investor 2009 - I've been following a few of your posts because I think we might've bought at about the same time. I haven't done the reno's like you though. I have also been waiting for Frankston to do something and would've sold if I could've. But I decided I would be worse off.
It still seems like people are saying Frankston will take off and it still hasn't. But there are more people saying it now - banks, etc. Maybe you're right and it won't be much longer now.
I just felt so attracted to the area when I found out about it - not because of what other people say or sub-dividing or all that, but because of the prices, the water, the greenies, the infrastructure and the plans. I just can't believe that it hasn't taken off yet.
I'm from Sydney so take the stigma with a grain of salt. I thought Melbournians were smarter than us???
Looking at it's history, it's already grown heaps - just not at all while I've had my investment property!!!:rolleyes:

...Looking at it's history, it's already grown heaps - just not at all while I've had my investment property!!!:rolleyes:

Median House Prices 2000-2011 - Extract from A Guide to Property Values 2010 - Page 6 / click on thumbnail attached.

Attachments

• frtn.png
    frtn.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 133
hey investor 2009 if people arent going to give you what you want hold it! or tell the agent of the loal sales of what going of a 4 bedder! people think while the rates are low they can get a bargain. doesnt work that way! even better put it up for auction get the bidders fighting amongst themselves

Still struggling with this sale.. 2nd contract now and buyers want a reduction for FA.. I said no cause I feel there's an easy $50k on it"s way within the next year or so give or take. Geez Frankston investors are cheap.. But hey, must be good cause they've been placing the contact and then trying to screw me. Nice! Thats something I'd do gor sure. After all this is business but I kinda want to keep it now with all thus talk. I have a feeling of gains coming soon

you could 380k+ for your house I reckon investor2009. from what im seeing in the area what the prices are its quite easy.

Really? It's on McMahons so pretty decent area. Had lots of people through but only the 2 Investors who one couldnt get finance and the others getting scared of the few minor defects on building report. To be fair it's been "under contract" for most if the time so far though and only three opens

162 mcmahons sold for 385 at auction 2 weeks ago and that's a 4 bedder and the street behind you on grimwade sold a 3 bedder for 393k

my options:
  • either take it off the market for a bit and let things settle.
  • change the price range 370-390k and don't let the agent tell you your moves, your paying him to sell it and to do the hard yards!
  • or take it off the market and rent it out.

for those interested here is a link to the proposed structure plans etc for frankston.

http://www.frankston.vic.gov.au/Pla...raft_Frankston_Activities_Area_Structure_Plan

Being a local I think that the biggest hold ups in progressing frankstons redevelopment will be the locals.

Everytime there is a proposed plan or house knocked down near me all the locals start talking about how they are going to object if they do this or, they better not build that, or where are all the cars going to park etc etc

I think people should embrace the changes that are happening in frankston. I've spoken to a few people and some are embracing and some just don't like change but these plans are for the benefit of franks ton future plans and development

Median House Prices 2000-2011 - Extract from A Guide to Property Values 2010 - Page 6 / click on thumbnail attached.

Frankston has gone up almost 3 fold in the decade ending 2010. It seems to be taking a breather right now and there seem to be opportunities out there. I think the best value is in the lower end of Frankston - it is this section of the market that has the greatest potentiality for capital gain. A couple of good deals this week sold for under $300,000. One was on a dual occ block.

Everytime there is a proposed plan or house knocked down near me all the locals start talking about how they are going to object if they do this or, they better not build that, or where are all the cars going to park etc etc

This happens in most suburbs. People whine but seldom put their complaints onto paper. Slowly but surely, development will happen - the Council wants older houses razed IMHO and replaced with units.

Back