Is our PM full of it?

We have a history of paying rent late by around 4 days since the PM set up rent be due on Mon and we get paid on Thurs, but we always pay.

She has become increasingly threatening as of late since we've ignored her requests to catch up on the rent since the place was ****ig smoke infested when we moved in, a little **** you in response.

Anyway, she has upped the ante as of late saying it'll go on our ledger and we might not be able to get another place, but no other PMs will be able to see unless we give them a copy of our ledger, right? Can we get put on the database of bad renters merely for paying late?

Best threat was she threatened to give us 2 weeks notice to move out in a fortnight's time, but that is when the lease ends anyway, LOL!

From memory, the PM just can't black list you - they have to submit a formal breach notice first. I find that using words helps. As in, come to an arrangement where the rent comes out Friday, or you pay a week in advance, for example.

Sounds like your agent is being a bit aggressive and bluffing a bit, although I'm not entirely sure of the rules as to how far they can go. However, if you do go to rent somewhere else, it is possible they'll ask for a copy of the ledger (I have tenants come in who want copies to use for new places they apply for) or they'll ask your agent for a reference. Saying that you consistently pay 4 days late might not look too good. I'd be arranging your finances so as you either pay on the Monday, or if you insist on paying on pay day, pay the Thursday before rather than after. I know it might be more convenient for you to pay as you are now, but what about the owner? What if their mortgage comes out on the Monday?

Sure, I get that Bigggles. But, the wrong thing was done by us when they blatantly lied about the filthy carpets having been professionally cleaned and leaving it smoke infested. It was cleaned at our time and expense while we slept on the floor for a week - no way you would have put a bed or any furniture in there with it's state at first, it was so godamn filthy. If that hadn't of happened, I would have been more accomodating.

Technically she can't do too much because you always pay up before 14 days has gone by (depending where abouts you are).

On the other hand though, how can you NOT arrange to pay on the Monday when your rent is due?

I can honestly say i can see where the PM is coming from - i'll get calls with LL's going stark raving mad at me because the rent is late, it's not my fault. So if she's dealing with this sort of LL i understand her frustration.

She may be going about it in the wrong way, but you are in the wrong by not paying your rent when it's due.

If it she's such an issue to you, how about you take responsibility and pay your rent on time and stop venting to us? :eek:

No offence intended, but seriously? Come on?

I can understand why you're upset, I hope you didn't sign off on the condition report stating that all was clean? However, that is a separate issue which should have been dealt with then. I don't think you can try and 'get back at them' with late rent to try and make up for it. Whilst it might not go on your official record, I wouldn't risk it. A new agent might want to call this agent for a reference if you apply elsewhere.

Nope, we sure as he'll didn't sign off on the condition report. Bottom line is I don't give a **** about her or the owner, they're both ****ing !$&@s as far as I'm concerned. Not going to help them out one bit since they didn't help us.

I have a feeling she hasn't lodged our bond with fair trading since we didn't get details about it, so I've turned it back on her now.

What are you talking about? Non-smokers, non-drinkers, always pay (albeit 4 days late), cleaned the place up when we moved in and have kept it clean since... I'd be pretty happy with tennants like this, you sure could do a lot worse.

I just meant your attitude, I saw what you wrote before it got replaced with symbols. I don't have much respect for anyone who uses that language about someone else.

This gets back to something discussed in another topic, about landlords treating their tenants well and in return you hope the tenants treat you well which is what I'd hope happens, and I was called naive. I appreciate your landlord/property manager has done something wrong by you, but I think you should have just addressed that issue, and not gone into this petty game of 'you started it'.

My attitude and viability as a tennant are two different things, don't let personal feelings cloud your business judgement. I make a lot of money off guys I neither care for or like, but it doesn't mean they're not suited to serving a particular purpose.

I also saw your original language and I'm sure you are not as innocent as you make out, calling the landlords those kind of names is ridiculous and totally irrelevant. :mad:

We have a history of paying rent late

...which breaks the undertakings you made when signing the Lease.

since the PM set up rent be due on Mon and we get paid on Thurs

...I highly doubt the Lease says anything of the sort for a valid reason why the Tenant shouldn't have to pay on time. I'm sure it says something like - the Tenant shall keep the rent two weeks in advance.

In any case, when you get paid is irrelevant, unless of course you are living hand to mouth, pay packet to pay packet like most residential Tenants I know and have absolutely nothing in cash reserve, not even two measly weeks of rent....and hence everything is a huge drama instead of simply accumulating a bit of cash and paying on time like you promised to do.

Big boys acting like petulant children....it's very common.

She has become increasingly threatening as of late since we've ignored her requests to catch up on the rent

Landlord's, and PM's potecting Landlord's interests get like that Bon when Tenants continually break promises you make and then ignore reasonable requests to rectify the issue.

She threatened to give us 2 weeks notice to move out in a fortnight's time, but that is when the lease ends anyway, LOL!

Don't come knocking on my door for a place to rent when you leave.

don't let personal feelings cloud your business judgement.

Perhaps instead of risking the potential for your own personal feelings to cause issues with obtaining a future lease, you could consider acting in a business-like manner yourself and simply adhere to the conditions of your lease by paying the rent when it is due...?

This gets back to something discussed in another topic, about landlords treating their tenants well and in return you hope the tenants treat you well which is what I'd hope happens, and I was called naive.

Cheer up Biggles. We all start out with the best of intentions. Hundreds of incidents tend to skew your view somewhat. For the record, I didn't call you naive, I simply agreed with you when you called yourself naive.

There are thousands of fantastic Tenants out there, all renting off skater and wylie and monopoly apparently.....but there are others out there who 'forget' what they signed up for before they've even been handed the keys.

Hahaha! Dumb ***** hasn't lodged our bond! Guess we won't be paying our last 2 weeks rent. I'll also be taking this matter to the tribunal, hopefully she gets fined!

Bon, not sure of the process in NSW, however in QLD, we ask for a copy of the ledger, from previous agents, to see what the payment history has been, so sadly while you think being 4 days late is OK, that could be the difference between you getting the property of your choice, or missing out. From what you say though, the PM does not seem to be doing a good job on the other side either. Handing over a property in a less than good state, is not the way to start a good relationship. Sadly, I am of the school, that 2 wrongs dont make a right, so late paying is not the best solution. Hope things improve for you both.

Last edited:
I dont see what the big deal is.
Make 2 weeks rent payment on the Thursday and then just pay one week every thursday, then no problem.

We rented for 18 months between PPORs and thats what I did. Hubbie s pay came through on Thursday fortnightly. First thing on Thursday pay days, I transfered the rent on line. Rent was actually due on Tuesday, I was always 4 or 5 days ahead.

I'm not trying to have a go at you and I say the following statement in the nicest possible way.

"Don't cut off your nose to spite your face",

even though you think may be justified, you may be doing yourself a dis-service. Not sure if this happens but what if you wanted a loan for a PPOR and the bank wanted a copy of the ledger to see your attitude to bills?

Back