is religious debate banned here?

I am also suprised that apparently intelligent people post very abusive, offensive, hurtful comments and then cry censorship when they get deleted.
Further more, it is not the Mods that report, although we can, but most often multiple reports from mutiple users on the same post.

Peter

Further more, it is not the Mods that report, although we can, but most often multiple reports from mutiple users on the same post.

So what are you saying is that if a dozen or so G-bears complained about a post the mods would delete it ? :confused:
I'm asking this because one of my replies and the post I replied to vanished despite not being offensive or religious.

Good point but perhaps we want to discuss stuff like this with people we know instead of bible belt Americans who cannot cope with logic.

I don't think it is the topic itself that needs moderating - rather some of us who don't know where the line is between intelligent discussion and playground slanging matches. No doubt I am as guilty as anyone though I am usually mindful of people's feelings.

Yeah fair point. I read the discussion but didn't see any of the slanging. I had 1/2 a retort posted but decided not to... those religion forums are time burglars!

hi all
just a bit of info
it could get deleted so read it fast.uniting church thou a very big land owner is also a very big funder.
now for me this is a real problem if that funding is into say a pub or bar or worse.
as I can't really see the point in saying these are evil things on a saturday and sunday and by the way we are the funder of the place also.
it is very interesting what the major churchs and church groups do fund.
and if it came out I think alot of people may well keep that $5.00 in there pocket instead of the plate.
church and religious group are not a church they are a industry and no debate on them for me should be barred unless as it is mentioned it breaks the broad rules.
oh and for me thou I don't like alot of the moderators rules they are the rules and if you don't like them the mouse is only one click away.
you can't like everything in this world so get over it

hahah ...love your posts.
But that's difficult to do!! :D

I'm not surprised by your post. And I bet profits are tax free too!

I didn't read the offending thread, damm it, I love a good religious discussion too. It was lengthy and ones like that I tend to read at a later date when I have nothing better to do. Shame it was deleted, but I can understand the reasons as stated by boss Sim. It's their forum and we are guests so they make the playground rules.

Hiya,

Sim isn't so bad, johnduncan2. Really.

I mean, didn't he let you rejoin after you were originally banned for defamatory spamming...? Or was that johnduncan a completely different user...?

Cheers

James.

So what are you saying is that if a dozen or so G-bears complained about a post the mods would delete it ? :confused:
I'm asking this because one of my replies and the post I replied to vanished despite not being offensive or religious.

Hi Yorke,

Sometimes we need to blow away innocent posts which were made in direct reply to a "bad" one - to keep continuity of the thread. Otherwise, it may not make sense to "fresh" readers what context your post was in relation to. Unfortunate collateral damage.

Until I became a mod, I had no idea the debate that goes on behind the scenes (there is a separate forum that only mods can get to, and the merits of various reportings etc are debated)

Cheers,

The Y-man

The thread you are referring to had some very hateful comments in it and it was deemed inappropriate, which is why it was removed.

thanks for the reply Sim, it is appreciated but perhaps it's possible to delete the hateful posts rather than delete the whole thread. Yeah i realise it's probably more work but i think the extra few minutes doing that would benefit the board. In particular there were some comments from someone called Strannick (sp?) that were particularly well delivered.

Hiya,

Sim isn't so bad, johnduncan2. Really.

I mean, didn't he let you rejoin after you were originally banned for defamatory spamming...? Or was that johnduncan a completely different user...?

Cheers

James.

What's your point fella?

If you had half a brain you'd know that defamatory relates to a FALSE claim, not a CORRECT one.

Remain on topic or go away.

Last edited:

No.

Details not number of reports is what the decision is made on.

I was pointing out that when a thread/post is deemed offensive, spam, flaming, etc. we often get more than one report on the same thread/post.

Your other part was answered earlier, regards Peter.

Hi Mods

Is there a way for a poster to check whether they have any deleted posts (under which thread) so that the poster can understand what is taboo or overstepping the mark in the forum. It may provide a constructive feedback to a poster. Just a thought to aid transparency and feedback. ;)

F

it is very interesting what the major churchs and church groups do fund.
and if it came out I think alot of people may well keep that $5.00 in there pocket instead of the plate.

most people pay because they want to feel good about themselves, i doubt that they care whether the money goes towards beer fund of their pastor or elsewhere

most people pay because they want to feel good about themselves, i doubt that they care whether the money goes towards beer fund of their pastor or elsewhere

I don't agree at all with this statement. I care very much where my "giving" goes to.

I don't agree at all with this statement. I care very much where my "giving" goes to.

Me too. And for those who know what I am talking about: "Didn't it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn't the money at your disposal?"

F:)

that's why i said "most people"
however, most people also would like to think that they care, where in fact they don't :)

I'm not even sure about "most people". I know that I pick and chose the charities I give to. I would think "most" people do the same?

Back