Is Robina any good ?

I am about to leave my day job, would like to add couple of IPs first. As I don't really know Brissy & Gold Coast, seeking some local knowledge. How do people feel about investing in Robina (where are the good and bad areas), for the price range I would probably looking for 3 bedroom townhouses. How's Robina compares with Southport & Labrador, I know Southport has been mentioned in another thread but this "financial adviser" discouraged me from buying in Southport (he probably doesn't have otp to sell in Southport).

Robina seems to be powering ahead pretty steadily; town centre redevelopment, rail, stadium, office blocks, etc, all a good sign. What has kept me away though is the position. The investment in infrastructure is great but you don’t have the proximity to water which has always been one of the biggest selling points of the coast.

I’m still backing Southport; huge investment in infrastructure (over $1B in the new hospital alone), rapid transport coming soon and the Broadwater foreshore redevelopment forging ahead. It’s also only a few minutes to the beach with easy access to the M1. I’d be very interested in why your financial adviser wasn’t keen on it. Please share this info if you get an answer.

Look, there’s going to be good and bad buys in each. Personally I’d be staying away from new developments in either location and looking for older style dwellings that have lost the “shiny and new” premium but are benefiting from the new infrastructure in the area. This has served me very well in Southport in the past and I’ll be sticking to that strategy.

What about Coomera? Similar concept to Robina, except everything is not yet built... your going to pay extra in Robina for all that infrastructure thats been created, rail, stadium, huge mall etc.

Coomera has rail, huge stuff on the way, Westfield is in the planning stage of building a shopping centre right next to the railway station and Dreamworld is planning things too... Google Coomera Town Centre. The gold coast is a very interesting market at the moment. The growth corridor, between brisbane and the gold coast is going to get huge in the next decade.

It really depends on your goals, if you just wand yield, or if you want good capital gains too, your going to need to go to an up and coming area.

All just my opinion, but food for thought.

sovereign island, build a mega mansion =)

i have a couple ip's in biggera waters. quite a few duplex townhouses being built on old Res B dwellings closer to the broadwater, bit of activity with salacia waters development $850M project at Paradise Point and a few other high rise development sites completed and also due to commence 5-7 storeys. DFO Harbour Town Shopping Centre, Grand Hotel and proposed light rail also coming through Brisbane Road, linking to southport etc. Near Griffith Uni and next to Southport.
Still affordable in terms of price, resi B old type houses on 500sqm still going for around low to mid $400's.
I have seen a few small builders snapping these up over the last few months, to build duplex sites.

sorry for the delay, been away for few days. Thank you all for the opinions. Troyhunt the reason the 'adviser' wasn't keen on Robina is because he has otp apartments to sell in Sunshine Coast, Redcliffe etc. Dammit & Nommy I will check out Coomera & Biggera Waters when I move up to sunny brissy in few weeks time. I really think if I can buy something decent in these areas for $300-$400K it will do well in the long term.

Doesn't have to be biggera waters, there is labrador, runaway bay, hollywell, paradise point. All these suburbs stretch to the northern most part of the Gold Coast on the broadwater side.
I do like Coomera as it has similiar plans to Robina Town Centre.
Might be a few years away yet though.
If you can find a house on a decent size block (500+sqm) for under $400k. you will be doing well. I say 500sqm as it needs to be this size on Res B to be able to build a duplex on it.

What about Coomera?

People have been waxing lyrical about Coomera for years but things have been very, very slow in happening. There’s lots of land yet to be released, it doesn’t have coastal proximity and is kind of in the middle of nowhere plus a lot of the lots sold on the promise of the Coomera town centre and associated infrastructure have suffered badly in terms of CG. I’ve no doubt the GC / Bris corridor is going to expand, it’s just a question of whether you’re going to get attractive CG and yield and IMHO, you’re much better of being on the coast or in Brisbane.

What has kept me away though is the position. The investment in infrastructure is great but you don’t have the proximity to water which has always been one of the biggest selling points of the coast.

are you insane, 10mins and you are standing on the beach in burleigh heads. probably the best part of the beach in the gold coast.

geez some people.

are you insane, 10mins and you are standing on the beach in burleigh heads. probably the best part of the beach in the gold coast.

geez some people.

The last time i drove from Coomera to Burleigh Heads it took about 35 mins and that was down the M1. You must be in a helicopter if it only takes you 10 mins.

I agree with troyhunt and would stick to the GC or Brisbane if you want something that will rent easier and possibly get better cap growth.

They've been talking about this corridor booming for 15yrs now and although prices have gone up (along with prices at either end) i'd hardly call it boom material.

If you have a way of getting from Coomera to Burleigh Heads beach in less than 30 minutes, please share.

240km at 2am does not count.

From most residences in the Coomera area it would take at least 5 minutes to get to the freeway.
Marg

Troyhunt was talking about Robina at the time.

aah, yes i see that now, but from Robina to Burleigh Heads is probably closer to 15mins :) In fact if we say the gold coast proper runs north to south and west until the M1, virtually any suburb on the coast is within a 15min drive to the water.

geez some people.

It’s a pefectly rational argument; every high value suburb on the coast is on the water, either by the beach or on a canal. 10 mins is not much of a drive but it’s a hell of a walk and the casual convenience of this environment is very attractive to both renters and buyers. I think Robina has a lot to offer but when it comes to the most valuable natural commodity we have on the coast, it’s a second class citizen.

Back