Is SS becoming a forum for OTHER investments??

Once it was considered blasphemy to speak of shares on SS but now gold/silver are widely discussed. Sacre' Bleu!

What should I make of this? A true contrarian/scepic might say it is time to sell precious metals as when the shoe-shine boy recommended stocks to J.P. Morgan (was that a Kennedy? whatever.) but I am more tolerant than that. I believe that the posters here are a little further ahead of the pack than the shoe-shine boy and are not necessarily contra-indicators.

So is the "broader" concept of investing being accepted on SS?

Being a relative new-bie, not sure I'm qualified to comment, but I would like to think that any investor should consider diversifying between asset classes, and be open to ideas outside their preferred investment vehicle.

I reckon it hasn't changed much.

It's still 95% resi property.

Maybe 1% commercial property, 1% shares, 1% economic and environmental chat, 1% garbage, 1% other stuff.

Same as ever, and as you'd expect on a residential property investment forum.

See ya's.

I think a property investor who doesn't consider hedging a drop in property is unquestionably naive and ill informed about unfolding global events.

I interpret the additional leeway granted by SS mods and owner, is indication they also are unsure of the risks associated with ever greater leverage into property.....

Further, I'd understand if they have growing concerns about being litigated against, in the event of a significant drop in property values, for unreasonable and biased property ramping.....Permitting a more open discussion of other asset classes would be a reasonable defence against such litigation.

It's still 95% resi property.

Maybe 1% commercial property, 1% shares, 1% economic and environmental chat, 1% garbage, 1% other stuff.

Do you reckon that specific TC ??

I reckon it's closer to ;

92% residential property
3 or 4% shares
2% commercial property
1% rural property - mainly thanks to your excellent threads
1% fixed interest
and bugger all on bonds

Almost all of the side chat re: banks / PMs / economic generalities etc all revolve around how they affect and impact ressy only.

I've yet to see a thread on say, "Interest rates going up - how will that affect farming land or purchasing hotels" etc. It's only ever about houses and units.

The website says "Somersoft Property Investment Forum", but almost all forms of property are almost completely ignored - commercial / retail / industrial / rural / islands etc hardly get a look in and aren't 'encouraged' to the exclusivity of residential. I guess it comes back to this being a dominantly newbie site, and hence the budgets available are very low, where almost all forms of real estate are out of reach.

The other thing to note is that everyone participates in residential real estate whether they like it or not. You either own outright your PPoR, are paying off your PPoR, or rent your PPoR, all of which must be residential, excluding farmhouses. I'm sure this has an overbearing influence on chit chat, as the cost of this necessary expense overwhelms most people's budgets, especially when they are just starting out. Phaffing about with other fancy stuff other than residential when you don't have the money seems a tad irrelevant.....and even if you try, usually the other half pulls the wayward investor back into line.

If you want to take it further, most people feel comfortable chatting about ressy real estate because everyone has grown up with it, regardless of whether their parents rented or owned. It's something they have a little knowledge of regardless of trying, and hence they feel quite comfortable chatting about. On the other hand, strike up a conversation about bond yields or share imputation credits....and the holes and gaps in knowledge are glaring, and hence people will hold their tongue. Ask them about renting tips and how to fob off PMs, and everyone and their dog will have something to chip in.

Once it was considered blasphemy to speak of shares on SS but now gold/silver are widely discussed. Sacre' Bleu!

What should I make of this? A true contrarian/scepic might say it is time to sell precious metals as when the shoe-shine boy recommended stocks to J.P. Morgan (was that a Kennedy? whatever.) but I am more tolerant than that. I believe that the posters here are a little further ahead of the pack than the shoe-shine boy and are not necessarily contra-indicators.

If you look at how many forumites have joined the forum AFTER property has taken off ie the last 5 years, I'd suggest the percentage interested in talking about gold, shares and other can only increase from here on in.

I think that times have changed, and that unlike 10yrs ago, when your property doubled every 5yrs no question, and the whole world was all rosy, I think now it's prudent to factor in world events into the property investing equation. While your permanent property bulls on here may not think so, I think factors like Europe, China, commodity prices (gold, etc), will have a significant impact of the local market in the next 1-3yrs.
I think some of these other asset classes (and world situations) are leading indicates to property (as property reacts more slower), so discussion is healthy.

I think that times have changed, and that unlike 10yrs ago, when your property doubled every 5yrs no question, and the whole world was all rosy, I think now it's prudent to factor in world events into the property investing equation. While your permanent property bulls on here may not think so, I think factors like Europe, China, commodity prices (gold, etc), will have a significant impact of the local market in the next 1-3yrs.
I think some of these other asset classes (and world situations) are leading indicates to property (as property reacts more slower), so discussion is healthy.

well good points . personally sold place still have land . but put have of ther house i sold in 2008 into bullion over the next year .well rest of that story history .gold up 45% silver up 95% .(property i sold in 2008 scarborough w.a. sold in feb 90k less this year after favorable rezoning . )

someone mentioned above about people feeling comfy with ressi as that all the know and their parents did .. hmm not good reasons to invest in something thats for sure

nope - i think it's a good balance.

anyone investing should have a reasonable balance, and that's what the coffee lounge is for.

Dazz brings up some mighty fine points though.

i would like to see some alternative investment sectins, rather than being chucked into the coffee lounge. it suggests it's as important as aunt marthas last holiday to bali, which is so misleading

Back